• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

EMG's in a Flying V = metal? Not according to Michael Burkes

sunking101

Never mind EMGs, Flying Vs themselves are only suited to metal these days. Yeah I know some blues guys used to play 'em but they've totally been taken over by the metal crowd.

monty

I got my first guitar with EMGs a while back, very surprised at how well they do styles other than metal.

FuzzyAce

Gold Supporting Member
Yep, I played an 81/85 combo for a number of years in a ‘77 Ibanez Artist. Used them for everything but metal lol.

JDutch

Albert King gave the V all the blues credibility it’ll ever need.

Also, EMG makes some really great sounding pickups for just about every style of music, even the 81s and 85s sound great for a lot more than metal.

Last edited:

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
Platinum Supporting Member
Never mind EMGs, Flying Vs themselves are only suited to metal these days. Yeah I know some blues guys used to play 'em but they've totally been taken over by the metal crowd.
Wut?

I play jazz sets on this:

cheezit

"Suited" - you use that word, I do not think it means what you think it means.

If by "suited," you mean "the association I personally have between a guitar type and a genre," well...the world is a big place. Anyone who is super-worried about fitting in and conforming to expectations might avoid Vs unless they play metal, but luckily that's not everyone.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
My experience has been that playing “jazz” or “rnb” on a vee is transparent to the gig. In metal, people see the Vee as a symbol. As common perception is sculpted by experience and expectation, this becomes part of the discussion.

cheezit

To me, a classic 50s V is a space-age modernist design, and so is a Strat. A Randy Rhoads Jackson V is a pointy guitar built for metal, and so is a Warlock.

But they all have 6 strings, are tuned the same way, and you can play anything written for standard guitar on them. Whether it is the best tool for the job and whether it gets the best out of you is your problem.

Kostas

You can play everything with anything, if you have the skills you can make the X guitar sound like the Y guitar.

Mark Knopfler had EMG's in his Pensa Suhr strat. Gary Moore had EMG's in his signature Heritage LP back when EMG had mainly "metal" pickups. They have a wider variety now.

sunking101

Wut?

I play jazz sets on this:

...and you will look like a metaller playing jazz to the majority of people. :dude
Since the 70s Flying Vs have been synonymous with metal IMO.

Dexter.Sinister

Still breathing
...and you will look like a metaller playing jazz to the majority of people. :dude
Since the 70s Flying Vs have been synonymous with metal IMO.
Not once has somebody said that to me. What they think is beyond me, but I try not to create speculative narratives.

big mike

To topic emg pickups are very versatile
Look at Lukather as an example until the change to passives the last few years.

Larry Carlton, Dan Baird with Georgia satellites, Waylon Jennings, tons of great and versatile players have used them with great results

voggin

I had a charvel strat in the 80s that had an EMG in the bridge. When I rolled back the volume a touch, it gave me a very clear, transparent stratty sound.

Trending Topics