Emi GB12 or Prvate Jack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by frankencat, May 4, 2008.

1. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

I need a pair of high-wattage "greenback" style speakers for a ported 2x12 cab. Which of these is better for classic rock sounds? I like a pretty smooth sound but I don't mind some high end as long as it's not gritty or ice picky. Thanks in advance. Frank :)

2. frankencat

Well I just ordered a quad of GB12's from Avatar so I guess I will find out for myself :AOK

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The GB's are darker, PJ's are brighter and closer to real GB's IMO.

4. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

My Ceriatone JTM45 is pretty bright, that's probably why I liked the GB12 with that amp. Ran it as a 1x12 combo, killer.

5. frankencat

Sounds like exactly what I want. ;)

6. MuseCafeChris

MuseCafeChris Senior Member

I think you made the right call. The GB12s are SMOOTH on the top end, almost to a fault. Adjust presence to taste and you should be good.

I have a quad of GB12s in a Fender ToneMaster 4x12. Love 'em!

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

What amp are you using these with ?

8. frankencat

My Splawn Super Stock mostly. I ended up ordering a quad of them and I am going to load up a Marshall 1960a with them. I am going to keep the V30's in the Tone Tools 2x12. They sound good in there. I am just wanting a different sound for some things and I like greenbacks so... :)

9. gldtp99

gldtp99 Member

+1 on the GB12's----- a friend was over demoing one of my Sound City 120/Hiwatt conversions last nite (while i was wiring up the preamp on another one of these monster amps)--- running through my Marshall 1960A w/GB12's----he finally clicked off his massive pedal board and ran his Jazzmaster clean into it---- sounded freakin' smooth (and HUGE)----with the hi power clean tone he could get the GB12's to start to give it up by varying picking intensity. The effects sounded good but the huge clean sound was happening even more.
    GB12's are a good match for this cab--- i had this set of GB12's in another 4x12 and really wasn't impressed---- i'm glad i tried them in this cab before other big-$$$ speakers were delivered.................gldtp99