Emi Swamp Thang Sounds Good....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wesman61, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

..once it's broke in. I got it used so I figured it was as good as it's gonna get. I tried it in a Valveking 1x12 and it sounded so bland. I tried other speakers I had lying around and decided to give the ST another chance. Still sounded bland but after some more time on it it has gotten nicely fat and chimey at the same time. It's really a smooth speaker also. Made the lead boost on the VK much more tolerable. Seems like I found a speaker that'll make Me keep the VK after all. Of course I'll still get a Tone King or a Carr someday!;)

2. Dale

Dale Member

I am glad to hear it. I ordered one early this morning.

3. Wesman61

Hope You like it! I'm amazed at how creamy the VK sounds. It sorta makes the lead channel less Marshally and more like Fender/Marshall mix.

4. carltonh

carltonh Member

Most speakers I bought used were never broken in and so still sounded bad and ice picky for a few weeks, even a V30 and Greenback. All Eminence and Weber speakers I bought new also sounded bad for a few weeks. Funny how many people decide a speaker isn't any good before they hear what it is supposed to sound like.

This is the sad thing about new amps... some people decide a new amp isn't very good before they break in the speakers. Wonder how many sales are lost or amps returned because of this. Wonder how many unfair reviews are out there for the same reason.

5. Dale

Dale Member

I have a newer version Jensen c12n. In most amps I dislike it. But it took forever to break in for me. Now it is a pretty nice speaker with some amps, even when running higher gain into it. I think break in times are far longer than most folks think.

6. Wesman61

Heck, maybe the amp started breaking in too. I've put more hours on it the last 2 weeks than nearly all the rest of the time I've had it. I've heard it takes about 40 hours for an amp to "burn in." Anyway it sounds good now.

7. pdouds

pdouds Member

i had one for a while, and sold it, but it was just starting to get broken in. that speaker was one of the most versatile speaker i have even owned. what's funny is it didn;t sound that great to me to hear it live, but when i heard it recorded, i said WOW! Wish i would have kept it.

8. Wesman61

I had a pair of Mojo MP10RHD's in Peavey Delta Blues amp. It took a few months for them to smooth out. That's why I prefer to buy speakers used.

9. Dale

Dale Member

Well, the Swamp Thang arrived. It is going to work out for me. Not as much chime as the c12n with this amp, but more so than a C-Rex. Not harsh for me as the Texas Heat tends to be with many amps (for my taste).

10. Wesman61

Glad to hear it. Wait till it gets loosened up real good!

11. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I use a Swamp Thang in my Gries 35.....very nice speaker!

12. carltonh

carltonh Member

You thought the Texas Heat was harsh? Are you sure it was well broken in?

13. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

there is a speaker for every amp and no one speaker sounds good with every amp IMHO.

14. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I stuck a pair in a 65 Twin re Issue i recently picked up.
    Totally amazing, although I knew what to expect as I'd used them in my Fuchs previously, but they gave the 65RI an added dimension, as it had a great sound previously.

15. pdouds

pdouds Member

i just bought a tonker, that is a really cool emi, too. i think i like it better than the st, but that is a great speaker, too.

16. Dale

Dale Member

You probably need to note I love the c-rex.

17. III

III Member

Has anyone mixed The Swamp Thang with a Man O War?