Emi Wizard in a HRDx?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wesman61, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Anyone else try this? I pulled The R,W&B out because it makes the amp seem too low-mid heavy. I stuck the Wizard in and it sounds great. It has the sweetness that is missing with the stock speaker. Nice sparkle on the clean channel a bit throaty in overdriven mode. Makes it sound a little bit more aggressive.

2. Wesman61

No one? This is the best I've tried in The HRDx. I've also tried a TH, Screamin' Eagle, Weber 12F150B. This Wizard beats them all.

3. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

Before I sold my HRDx, I'd also tried a lot of speakers. Out of all of them (including a V30, Weber Blue Dog, Jensen Neo, Tonkerlite, Screamin Eagle), the Wizard was clearly the best sounding clean and dirty. The Stonehenge was also pretty darn good - not as big, present, and tight as the Wizard, but less fizzy on the top end if that really bugs you.

4. Wesman61

Yeah it's certain to make You start Your OD search all over again. I have a RT66 and the TS side just doesn't work so well. Too harsh. Turning the tone down only makes it dull sounding.

5. Al Nico

Al Nico Member

Have you tried different preamp/power tubes? My HRDx was a lost cause until the speaker swap(s) and also changing the power tubes to either Winged C's or TADs. I also had better luck using a lower gain preamp tube in the V3 and V2 positions (V3 closest to power tubes).

That said, the onboard overdrive was never better than a pedal into the clean channel. I had the best luck with a Tonebone British, but the TS side of the Route 66 or Jeckyll & Hyde was not bad either (with the band).

6. rod horncastle

rod horncastle Member

I've tried a Govenor & a Tonespotter in my Hotrod. I still don't like it that much. I'd like to find a really good Vintage 30 to tighten up the low-end, give it some more twang maybe.

7. Wesman61

I think those are all less than ideal choices for The HR. They all push the mids which makes The HR a good blues amp but that's all. The Wizard makes it a much more versatile amp. The cleans are more Blackface with the Wizard.

8. Boogs

Boogs Member

The Wizard is a great speaker, and very versatile. Nice to hear mention of the Stonehenge as well...that was a good one that never caught on!

The Wizard has a great high end that is very complex, and a thumping low end as well. One of mine sounded great after a few hours of high volume break in, another needed more like 12, but both ended up with the same nice sound.