• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Eminence 10.in Speaker Time

Jimmy MAck

I need a speaker that will work both in a Princeton Reverb, and as a 2nd 10 inch in a Fender 80's Concert amp. I'm playing blues and bluesy jazz. I like some grit and sustain with mild overdrive, either from the amp or a pedal in a band situation. Humbuckers mainly.

Here's the rub. In the Concert, I have one stock Fender (Eminence) 10 in.
The second one went to the Princeton. It works beautifully there, but may have to go back to its Concert home. Right now, the Concert has a tighter brighter delivery at the gig with the 2nd spkr I put in. I want a 2nd spkr. to help loosen up the amp's tone. Not willing to go to a single 12 in this amp, what 10 inch can give me bigger and looser tone? I like the Eminence lineup of: Copperhead, Lil' Buddy, Ragin Cajun, Red Fang, and maybe a Ramrod. Not really interested in Celestions, a Gold being the only one I'd consider!

Any thoughts? Thanks.

lostpoet2

Silver Supporting Member
The Ragin Cajun would probably fit your needs really well. It is great for warm humbucker tones, and any type of drive. Normally the Legend 105 is what I would recommend for maintaining Fender cleans and handling drive, but it sounds like you want to go in a little different direction. The Celestion Greenback 10 is excellent as well.

Jimmy MAck

I see ES 330 that you are a big fan of the Mod 10-70 and I appreciate that since you post often on its merits.
I have had the Mod 10-50 in my Princeton, and all that I read about the Mods leads to mediocre acceptance, which is my experience with the 10-50. So now you have me wondering..... what am I missing ? Should I try the 10-70 ? Are they that much better than the rest of the lot ( of the Mod series)?

With E-bay, that's not a too expensive a tryout.

Except, I want stellar results! Ha ha.

Thanks, I will be listening

moosewayne

Silver Supporting Member
The Ragin' or Lil' Buddy will give you that bigger, loose tone you say you want.
Don't rule out the Ramrod, though. That guy pairs well with nearly everything Eminence makes.

DaveKS

Tone tubby 40/40 10" , hemp cone like Rex or Lil Buddy but with slight hint of Brit in upper mids. Very balanced speakers. Check the response curve here, note the lack of any deep notches along the curve.
http://www.tonetubby.com/pdfs/specs/40-40_10-8.pdf

Hemp cone has that bigger well defined bottom hemp cones are good at but smooth all way up till it hits that bump about 2.5k. Still very smooth and non fizzy on top.

Not the cheapest speaker, but it in my opinion is one of the best, does everything well speakers made. Balanced and does what your amp and it's tone controls tell it to do without a flinch. Sparklng Fender clean to nu-metal and anything in between.
http://www.svvintageamps.com/catalo...d=139&osCsid=adf6d0b20b41c048b8a664e3b9d1a701

They are very stiff/strident out the box, good 20hr to loosen up, about 35-40hr in you here it transform when it breaks. Bottom will bloom but not flub, mids soar and any fizz up top will wane. That area above 2.5k are where harmonic overtones live and flourish with this speaker. Drop iit n your concert and push it in to some of the more Boogie type tones a concert II can do and you'll here what I mean.

Last edited:

Tone Meister

I too am a huge fan of the Tone Tubby 40/40 but haven't tried one in a Princeton. I have the 12" version in my SF Deluxe Reverb and it kills.

I have a WGS G10C/S in my '65 Princeton Reverb and it is excellent. The cleans are all Fender and the overdriven tones are world class with the smooth cone. Bass is full and tight with the perfect amount of high end sparkle. If you call WGS that is the speaker they will recommend for the Princeton, and for $65 + shipping it is a real bargain.

Another speaker that works incredibly well in Princetons is the Eminence Legend 1058. A buddy put one of those in his '64 PR and it is perfect for that amp. Well worth considering, IMO.

BoogieManSC

The Ragin' or Lil' Buddy will give you that bigger, loose tone you say you want.
Don't rule out the Ramrod, though. That guy pairs well with nearly everything Eminence makes.

This is what I'd recommend. I had one in a Fargen-modded PRRI and it was awesome.

Speeddemon

Copperhead if you like a good balanced tone, with a bit more bite and twang,
Legend 105-8 if you like a big, round, balanced tone, that doesn't dishonor the PR's basic tone, yet will handle volume, low-end and drive-pedals a whole lot better. You're asking for bigger and looser...this is it, to some extent!

A/B-ed them extensively in my PR, which I tested with a Tele and a Les Paul.
Went for the Legend after a month.

But maybe the Cajun would indeed take the looseness even further. I wanted to keep the SF Princeton tone of course (but handle drive/grit better, with a hint beefier low-end), so, after reading all the reviews, I feared the Cajun would ruin the character too much.

ES330

I see ES 330 that you are a big fan of the Mod 10-70 and I appreciate that since you post often on its merits.
I have had the Mod 10-50 in my Princeton, and all that I read about the Mods leads to mediocre acceptance, which is my experience with the 10-50. So now you have me wondering..... what am I missing ? Should I try the 10-70 ? Are they that much better than the rest of the lot ( of the Mod series)?

With E-bay, that's not a too expensive a tryout.

Except, I want stellar results! Ha ha.

Thanks, I will be listening

IMO, the 10-50 and 10-70 are two different speakers.
Different voice coils and different magnets...

The 10-70 doesn't fit for every amp... in fact, it totally sucks in my Pro Jr
So el84s don't voice well with it

But it's the best 10" I've found for my other fender voiced amps...

Note: the 10-70 took forever to break in...
Maybe others didn't let it break in ?? or put in British voiced amps ??

Jimmy MAck

BoogieManSC wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosewayne

This is what I'd recommend. I had one in a Fargen-modded PRRI and it was awesome.

Hey BM, You had one? Which one are referring to? Ramrod? Thanks

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
…i just loaded up a couple of Emi 1058's in a 2-10 cab…nice well rounded warm tone with fairly early breakup…but really nice creamy breakup…these speakers sounded played in fresh out of the box…i also had a ceramic Weber silver 10 in a Princeton for a while that i thought was a great fit for that amp...

bosstone

Eminence Red Coat Ramrod is the best of the Eminence IMHO. Check it out compared to any of their other speakers on their web site. I have one in a Fender Super Champ XD and it absolutely transformed it. Contrary to popular belief, the Celestion G10S isn't like most other Celestions but if you want to compare it to a Celestion 12", it would be the G12 65, very full, warm and no spikey highs.

Emiel

Try the Legend, or the Copperhead if you want a bit more bite. I had the Jensen Mod 10-70. It sounded very dark in my '79 PR. Swapped it for a Copperhead and couldn't be happier. I use a Les Paul and a Strat and play blues and oldschool rock. The Copperhead is perfect for that nice and bright '60s/'70s tone.

Jimmy MAck

All great suggestions guys, but my Concert amp, and the PReverb are already bright. I find myself turning the trebles down, and mids up. I guess I need a more mid voiced speaker, big and fuller sounding, and looser - to try and combat the tightness of the 10in. spkrs.
On the Eminence tone site, listening to the samples - if these are accurate, the Legends are too bright and tight, so are the RC's. I like the Copperhead samples.
Anyone feel the samples from Emi are accurate? At least you can compare the same samples thru different spkrs. Thanks

crackbass

I love the Ramrod. It has a great midrange with a slightly rolled of high end and big bottom that makes leads pop in a great way. The Cajun and Copperhead will be progressively more mid shy and top sparkly.

elijah

Ramrod or Legend gets my vote

For reference the Legend is a lot darker than any alnicos I ever tried

bosstone

If you want to smooth those highs, that Celestion G10S 50 will definitely do that. They can be a bit hard to find but well worth looking for. I have compared it to the Ramrod in my amp and they highs are fairly smooth in the Ramrod but noticeably more so with the G10S 10. The Ramrod is more punchy and efficient (loud) if that is what you are looking for.

colinesquire

I have a copperhead and like it. As mentioned it has more snarl in the mids & treble bite so make sure that is what you are after. I also found it louder than its rated spl but that could be to its eq curve.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom