eminence 15" anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ricardo, Mar 2, 2006.

1. ricardo

ricardo Member

I'm thinking of changing the speakers in my dual showman cabinet... it's loaded with two crappy tesla 15" speakers for the moment.

Is there anyone here who has any experience with Eminence sepakers? particulary the beta, kappa, delta 15" speakers...

Oh.. and I'm supposed to use it for playing guitar... and it's supposed to co-operate with a 18w Marshall-clone...

2. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I played through an amp last weekend that had an Eminence 15" speaker in it. Can't recall the model, but it was from their 'normal' series - ie not a Patriot or Redcoat speaker. Sounded GREAT in a hopped-up Fender circuit.

--chiba

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

I believe they make a 15" in their legend series, which would be better as a guitar amp speaker. It has a more Jensen like character than the Jensen reissues.

4. 6789

6789 Member

My Victoria Regal has a Eminence Legend 15" speaker and I think it sounds really good. It has a big, full, deep sound - at least inside the Regal it does.

5. ES350

ES350 Member

I never had good luck with them (in a 5E5a, a brown Pro, etc)---a little too dark for my tastes.

6. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a Weber ceramic California 15 with the aluminum dust cover in my Sano BA-1 that sounds fantastic. Not too much low end while still sounding like a 15.

7. Matt H

Matt H Guest

if you're using it for guitar and not bass- get a 15" designed for guitar. either the legend 151 or the big ben of the emi line. (i've got a big ben, i like it a lot).

also, the weber california is another excellent suggestion- i'd go with a paper dome, but that's just me.

8. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

I've got a ceramic Weber Chicago 15" on the way. I'll be running a Clark Beaufort 5E3 through it. I can let you know how it works out after I get it installed.

9. slider313

Do you mean the 18 watt Marshall clone will be pushing the two 15's? If that's the case,I would be on the lookout for a pair of alnico 15's on ebay;cheap.All you'll need is a couple of speakers in the 20 watt ea. range. I saw a pair of CTS alnico's go cheap. Even Jensen C15R's or Q's would be fine.

10. ricardo

ricardo Member

Ok.. can I buy them new anywhere?

11. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

+1 for the Eminence Legent 15 - 151.

I've used this and it sounds very good.

12. ricardo

ricardo Member

haha... Is'nt life just wonderful... i cant get the hold of the Eminence Legend 151 anywhere in Sweden.. the closest thing to it is the Fender Vibroverb speaker made by eminence... but I kind of get the feeling that it's pretty much the same speaker only the Fender version is 40$ overprized... someone who knows if thereĀ“s a difference between these 2?

13. ricardo

ricardo Member

how is the legend 151 in compared with the vibroverb speaker?

14. slider313

I believe the legend is the Vibroverb speaker. In my opinion, you don't need two 50 watt speakers with an 18 watt amp. For that matter even two 30 watters would be too much. The amp needs to be able to move the speaker to get it to sound decent.You may want to just pick up a 1/12 speaker bottom and load it with a Celestion G12H Anniversary which is a 30 watt speaker and will sound great with a Marshall style 18 watt head.​

15. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I've got a Weber Texas ceramic 15" in a closed back cabinet that I use for both guitar and bass (fed from a Bandmaster Reverb head), and it sounds fantastic for both! Lots of low end, even at bedroom volume and, even though it's in a closed-back cabinet, the high end sounds very sweet. It doesn't fart out when playing bass through it, but then I only turn the volume up on the BMR to 5 or 6.
    I also have a 15" Jensen in a Bassman combo that sounds great as well. A little more pronounced in the mids than the Texas but still very good.

16. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

I have a Randall cabinet that has two Celestion Vintage 30's in the top and one Eminence Legend 15" speaker in the bottom and the cleans are fantastic... very full and precise. It's a good setup... just wish the cab wasn't so large/heavy. :(

17. ricardo

ricardo Member

I saw now that Eminence has an even moore low-powerd line of elements..

the Alpha 15.. anyone? is it a bad speaker or a good speaker?

I've been talking to every dealer in sweden today.. and they keep telling me that both the Legend 151 and Fender vobroverb replacementspeaker is out of stock in all of Europe... I just hate my life right now...

18. TheAmpNerd

TheAmpNerd Member

I put it in a vibroverb that had a JBL in it.
    Sounds better with the 151 and new baffle.
    Of course I had to tone up that amp too.

Before it came to me for help someone
    had replaced most all the resistors in
    the amp with metal oxides.

Talk about sterile and lifeless sounding,
    yuuch.

PM me if you are wanting a 151.

I'm an eminence dealer, amoung others.