Eminence Alessandro GA-SC64 Speaker vs Celestian g12-65 Creambacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiPa, Feb 19, 2015.

1. DiPa

DiPa Silver Supporting Member

Hey TGP,

i am getting a new cab built with 2x12.
    I have narrowed the choice down to these two speakers and and could use your advice on which one to go with.
    I play Rock/Classic Rock, Blues, Jazz, write a lot and record.
    The Celestian is now built in China (not going to matter too much on my final decision, just fyi), and Eminence is a George Alessandro design.
    I understand both are great speakers.
    Could you tell me which one you think is more toneful, musical and so on.

2. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

The Creambacks origin form UK afaik

3. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Hi, if you're still asking ???

Oh, and what amp

4. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Creambacks are U.K. made, not China. And IMO, U.K. made Celestions always seem to sound better than Eminence speakers. Finally, the 75hz version of the Creamback is what I'd recommend for the type of music you're playing.

5. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I use one of the Eminence GA-SC64's, and love it. I think they sound much better than the new Celestion Creambacks.

The GA's are very open, airy with sweet mids and chime, with very nice bass. The GA's have a fantastic overall eq that's great for many different style of music and sound great with both single coils and humbuckers.

6. DiPa

I purchased the GA-SC64's as well as a Celestian creamback 65.
    I love both.
    The GA-SC64 has that opennes and sweet mids and chime as pointed above. It comes out clearly.
    The creamback gave me a 3D effect which I really dig.

7. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Waht amp do you use.

I find it lacking in treble, so far... it's still breaking in

8. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Member

IME the M65 Creambacks are a little different than the standard greenback. They have a bit tighter and fuller bass, slightly flatter mids and a little less top end treble. So if treble is what you want that might not be the choice for. But they have the familar woody tone and growl you'd expect from a greenback but a little bit smoother overall. The G12H-65 should be a little bit brighter which might be more to your liking if you need more treble.

Rod likes this.
  9. porterburst

porterburst Supporting Member

I have a GA-SC64 installed in my Swart MKII Master combo and have zero problems with treble response.

It sounds fantastic with my LP's and Strats.

Usable range is 80Hz-5.3kHZ, so there's plenty of treble with both 6V6GT's and 6L6GC's installed.

Here are some youtube clips that gives you a little idea of the GA's treble response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPEeqpMnFM0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haV8QURSlgg

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  10. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Thxs, must give it a try again, and time

11. ekkybedmond

ekkybedmond Member

Tried the GA-SC64 in rehearsal again with Super, bright channel (68pF bright cap on V)(no 'normal channel')

Hmm, not happy.

Will try it later with the 100pF cap,

So far not happy. Maybe I'm not a "warm speaker" guy, my Ceramic BD still sounds better

12. pete kanaras

pete kanaras Member

just installed a GASC-64 in my deluxe reverb and Wow. even right out of this box it sounds fantastic. after anout a dozen speakers in this amp over the last 25 years i believe i hit paydirt, finally. im a C12N/Vibranto fan and this is the closest to a real one i'ver ever heard in a new speaker, efficient as heck too. first gig tomorrow

13. silver surfer

silver surfer Member

I recently put a GA10-SC64 in my 66 Princeton Reverb to replace the vintage Jensen. Very impressed with this speaker. Captured all the things I like about the Jensen and is a little louder as well.

14. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

I like both speakers, there is no better or worse, just different. If you are looking for that Fender tone, as the speaker already suggests mid 60s, there is no better new speaker than the GA-SC64. I own both 10 and 12" and they are great in my Fender amps. BTW, I use an extension 1x12 cabinet with my BF Deluxe and have the GA in the combo and the Creamback G12-65M in the extension cabinet. I like that combination a lot.

15. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

I would expect those two speakers to have different characteristics and possibly combine well. Gotta experiment to know for sure, though.

16. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Supporting Member

how does the 10" compare to the 12"?

17. bandmaster

bandmaster Member

They are very similar in tone, of course you have the 10 vs 12" difference. But they are built the same (cone, dust cap etc), just one smaller than the other. These GA speakers are one of my favorite speakers, I have the 10's since many years. Alessandro sold them under their own name since years. GA did a great job with these, but I never liked the Eric Johnson speaker he did with Eminence.

18. DiPa

Agree with the GA and placed the Eric Johnson EJ1250 in my Fender Twin, and it was a wow, such a huge sonic difference and all around balanced well with beautiful tones.

19. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Very different speakers. The SC64 is a vintage sounding speaker with added lows and balance and good tone thru out the spectrum. The Celestion is a scooped mids sound, a bit indistinct and some hair on the highs, with a bit of fat breakup.

Humble Texan Fan likes this.
  20. Tele Vince

Tele Vince Member

How does the GA-SC64 cut in a live band mix? I'm playing on a Blues Jr in a classic rock cover band. The stock Jensen C12N sounded too harsh on the overdriven leads but good on the clean rhythm, while the Emi Texas Heat is great on leads but just missing too much of the presence on chord play. So, I'm hoping the SC64 can be the best of both worlds. Any input appreciated. Thanks!