Eminence Cannabis Rex for Rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Franklin, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Franklin

Franklin Member

Hey all, I have a Fender DRRI and am looking to replace the current Celestion. I was looking at a Cannabis Rex as a candidate, but reading this blurd at Musician's Friend makes me wonder:

"Clean, full tone with lots of body and sparkle. Great for country, jazz, and classical. Durable hemp cone sounds smokey smooth with high-end definition...."

I play Blues based type music, Classic Rock type stuff and like to play the amp cranked in the breaking up zone, around 6-7 on the volume.

How is the Cannabis Rex in a cranked DRRI? Will it break up at all? Country, Jazz and Classical? Who uses a DRRI for Classical? :messedup

:)

2. doc

doc Member

The Rex is a great speaker, but it is very smooth and musical. If you like a bit of edge and a prominent high midrange it won't do it for you. It will break up, but it does it in a polite way. I'd consider a Texas Heat for your needs. On the other hand, if you find the highs too "spikey" and feel your amp has a bit too much edge in the high mids, the Rex may be perfect.

3. Franklin

Franklin Member

4. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

Yes. It is a great rock speaker in my experience.

5. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

The C. Rex sounds great in a DRRI. Then I sold the DRRI, but I still use the C.Rex. IMO it sounds great with any amp I've plugged it into.

6. Franklin

Franklin Member

Nice, thanks guys!

7. doc

doc Member

I think its a great rock speaker too, but not for every amp and situation. I play a Trainwreck clone through one and it sounds great, but even with that gainy, cutting tone the amp has it loses some "cut", so it can get lost in the mix. Another speaker you might consider especially for blues is a Red Fang - it'll break up in a musical way, but it'll sound more "vintage" and have a bit more edge to it. The classic Eminence pairing in a Fender is with a Red White and Blues, but it sounds like you want more of a rock edge without losing the Fender character, so that's why I suggested the Heat. A Lil Texas would also lighten your load a bit. If you like the Celestion sound you had and want it a bit more aggressive, try a Wizard.

8. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

It does do rock . "polite way" is a perfect description.
    It's a more rounded sound. If you associate rock with scooped, wrong speaker.

9. Franklin

Franklin Member

No scooping here! I keep hearing that it will be too dark and loud for me. I play all sorts of Classic Rock and Blues based Rock and love natural OD of the cranked amp, but I hear I won't be getting any speaker distortion out of it.

10. strumminsix

strumminsix Member

Hmmm, it may take more power than a DRRI (22w, yes?) to get her to break up.

I've broken mine up with a 50W tube amp.

11. Franklin

Franklin Member

12. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

A Swamp Thang also sounds great in a blackface amp. strumminsix is right, the Emi's mentioned here have a much higher power rating than your DRRI. There's nothing wrong with that, you just won't get much, or any, speaker break-up.

Another great speaker for a DRRI is a Weber 12F150. I had one in that amp and was real happy with it. It's Ted's take on a C12N and matches well with a Deluxe.

Good luck in your search.