Eminence Cannabis Rex pairing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by 61Ephramite, Feb 22, 2012.

1. 61Ephramite

61Ephramite Supporting Member

I've modded a Hot Rod DeVille to the place that it's sounding great. I've found the right tube combination, completed a reverb mod, tone stack mod, and added an Eminence C-Rex and The Governor speaker pairing. The C-Rex is definitely a keeper, but I'm still debating the Governor. I have a Texas Heat available and the two originals. The TH is only 99db which may allow the C-Rex [102db] to drown it out. Has anyone combined an original Gold Label with the Cannabis? What other Eminence speakers have proven to be a good partner to it?

BTW, the desired sound would be the big, classic Fender tone of something like a Twin or Super Reverb. Please don't suggest selling the DeVille and getting something else. I'd like to see if I can get this project done successfully. Thanks for your experience and suggestions.

2. Tuberoast

Tuberoast Silver Supporting Member

The CREX is a good speaker for a Fender for sure. It carries the low end quite well.
    I think it would go great with a Celestion Gold (kinda pricey) but mine works fantastic in a Fender and would be an excellent pairing.
    I think the WGS G12C would work too. You have to off-set the slightly darker nature of the REX. The Governor is a G12-65 variant.
    I have used sensitivities that were within 2db and it worked quite well.

3. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

I paired a C-Rex with a Wizard in a Vintage Modern once and I thought they complimented each other very well. The Wizard is comparable to a Celestion Vintage 30 which is obviously British voiced, but there is probably a speaker in the Patriot series that has similar characteristics.

4. vmjoe

vmjoe Member

Read the Eminence Commonwealth description on their site. May be of interest for your application.

5. Washburnmemphis

Washburnmemphis Member

Paired a CRex with an Eminence Tonespotter (also a G12-65 variant).
    Works well with D-Style amps.

6. 61Ephramite

Thanks for the replies. If the Tonespotter and Governor are both variants of the same speaker and the the Wizard is a take on the Vintage 30, which I think the Governor sounds like the v30, maybe I should just give it more time to grow on me. I just keep hearing the heavy midrange associated with the more British flavored speakers.

7. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

I had good luck pairing the Texas Heat and C-Rex together. If you are concerned about the sensitivity ratings, the Swamp Thang might be a good match for the C-Rex....

8. analogsystem

analogsystem Member

I had a 4x12 with 2 C. Rex and 2 Vintage 30s in an X pattern that balanced nicely.

9. 61Ephramite

Shinequwa-

What do you hear the Texas Heat adding to the tone of the C-Rex? I've thought about the Swamp Thang, especially since several reviews say that it has a sneaky clear, bright treble. Otherwise, its big bottom end coupled with the C-Rex's warmth might be too much in the same direction.

10. Category 5

Category 5 Member

crex and red fang are a great pair.

Donr

11. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

I have a Texas Heat paired with the original Eminence Gold Label in my TRRI and like the combo.

12. 61Ephramite

Thanks for the encouragement Joe L. I've gotta try pairing a Gold Label with the C-Rex, if for no other reason than to learn it doesn't work. My understanding is the Gold is a 125 Legend variation to fit Fender's desired specs. If so, the sensitivity should be within 1db. It would be the weekend before I can try, but it's worth a shot.

13. ianb

ianb Member

The Wizard is not a V30 kind of speaker, but Emi's version of the G12H, and it is a pretty bright and slightly scooped speaker (compared to say the Governor). I think it would pair very well with the C-Rex, as would a Celestion Gold.

The Red Fang would also work, TH is another option but would have more midrange, however a C-Rex pairing with a Swamp Thang would be very bass-heavy, and with a Governor very mid-heavy.

14. JStotes

JStotes Member

If you like the CR why not just add another CR?

15. 61Ephramite

Hmmm...that's a possible idea

16. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Are you stuck on Eminence? Crex has a large dust cap and is a med. magnet speaker. I've got one in my 2x12 a/b'ing with a Legacy 30oz, 65w, small cap and the Legacy is the better sounding speaker, pick one up and see how they pair up.

17. 61Ephramite

Yeah, actually I am a big fan of Eminence. I have or have had the Texas Heat, Tonker, Private Jack, and I have a Red, White, and Blues in a Hot Rod Deluxe that is killer. I've played Celestions and had a Jensen P12Q that sounded really good but was a little underpowered in it's rating. Celestions sound great for the most part, but tend to be pricey unless you get their Chinese makes. Jensen's can give you the American Vintage style tone, but have had reliability issues since going to Italy. I've never played a Legacy and would have to read up on them a bit to know what I'm looking at. Thanks for the suggestion.

18. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

The Crex and PJ are my favorite Eminence speakers but I've found that the Weber Legacy's, Scumbacks and ASW's are better sounding than the Celestions, Eminence, WGS, etc.....for me anyways. I think last count I've owned around 43 different speakers, hahaha.

19. 61Ephramite

My speaker investment fund is being eyed hard by my gas tank. I've got enough aside to make 1 choice, so I appreciate all the advice given so far. I did put in a Fender Gold Label and found that the amp is much more "Fendery" than the C-Rex Governor combination. The Gold has a surprising amount of top end clarity, more than I remember, but the overall tone is a little less "in your face" prominent. It's not bad, it just doesn't make you say WHOA!

20. Shinequwa

Shinequwa Member

The Texas Heat has a little more clarity to me, and a little more top end emphasis as well. They sound good together in my opinion. I play rock and blues for the most part.