Eminence Cannibas Rex

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by t3oi, Oct 13, 2006.

1. t3oi

t3oi Silver Supporting Member

So I've seen a few threads on Eminence speakers, including the 100,000 page thread, but wanted to inquire about the CR from those who own them.

I just reserved a Dr. Z SRZ-65 and am currently looking for a cab and speakers to go with it. I'm most likely getting an Avatar Premiere Vintage cab and have considered the Tonkers, but am leaning more and more towards the Cannabis Rex's.

Thoughts on the Rex?

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

3. t3oi

4. granite

granite Member

I'm an Eminence speaker junkie. I've owned an Avatar 2x12 with a Red Fang and Wizard pairing, An Orange AD30R combo with a Cannabis Rex & Governor pairing, and I will be receiving next week a new Avatar Cannabis Rex & Wizard combo.

The CR is an awesome speaker for my needs. It can be used for any music style. I play mainly Indie Rock/Alt Country type of music. All the clips/songs on my website were recorded using the CR & Gov pairing. Take a listen. The CR is great for clean or driving rock. My personal favorite speaker.

5. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I will be using my Crex with my Dr. Z 6545 as soon as I pick it up from our rehersal spot.

6. t3oi

Thanks, that's what I'm looking for, a speaker that can play a little bit of everything equally well and yet still be great sounding. Pretty cool sounds on your web site.

7. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Anyone compare a C Rex (have it in my BFDR and love it!!) to a Tone Tubby Alnico hemp cone?

8. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey fast ricky love,

The Cannabis Rex has a ceramic speaker magnet and the Tone Tubby(red version) has the Alnico speaker magnet. I hooked up my Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe to the Tone Tubby Alnico speaker( mounted in a '64 Deluxe) and it sounded a little more smoother than the Cannabis Rex.

Guitar George

9. Boogs

Boogs Member

But...I'm still using my old opinion...

;)

10. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Hey GG, that's great info as I do really like my C Rex a lot, but if I could find something like it that's even a bit smoother it'd be even better in my DR.

I tend to favor alnico anything anyway... :AOK

11. jamison162

jamison162 Member

The Tone Tubby's are available with either a ceramic or alnico magnet. Of course the alnico is 2x's the cost of the ceramic.

The Cannibas Rex is ceramic magnet only and can be had for 1/2 the cost of the Tone Tubby ceramic. The only other speaker manufacturer A Brown Soun Inc. supposedly licenses the hemp cone to is Emminence.

The description and reviews of the C.Rex are smooth mids, I can't imagine how much smoother the TT Alnico is. Too smooth and you would loose the power and rawness of a good crunch tone wouldn't you think?

12. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I'm holding out for when they produce a cone made of heroin. :AOK

13. Boogs

Boogs Member

It's in the works, according to industry insiders...

The Grand Old Opiate - cone material - poppy fiber; 50 watt rms/100 peak; resonant frequency - 85hz; "An addictive, nap-inducing tone for guitarists not afraid to Chase The Dragon"

I've preordered mine!

;)

14. 59model

59model Member

Here`s an email answer I got from the Eminence rep. Hope it helps. Mine just came in and I`ll be putting it in my Reinhardt MI6.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for emailing Eminence. You need a hemp cone speaker! Please take a
    look at our Cannabis Rex (also available in 16 ohm):

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=CANNABISREX&speaker_size
    =12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
    Sr. Lab Technician
    Eminence Speaker LLC
    anthony.lucas@eminence.com
    (502)845-5622 ext. 341

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 12:20 AM
    To: info
    Subject: Which Speaker?

I`m playing mosty Marshall and Trainwreck amps where the high end is cutting my
    head off. I`m looking for something that`s darker, and doesn`t fizz out when
    using distortion. I have a few combo`s one 15watt, another 22watt, and another
    35watt. Looking for 12`s the way I described and that also have a nice mid honk
    to them. Any suggestions, please help! My 47yr old ears can`t take it much
    longer, LOL!
    Thanks and Take Care,
    Pete Bogash
    Lake Charles, LA

15. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I e-mailed Eminence and received an e-mail that I found to be almost less than helpful. I went with two Tonkers. They should be here on Monday.

16. jockman

jockman Member

I have a C-rex, I have a Park 1273 combo, 2xel84's, it had an old Fane speaker in when I got it, The C-Rex is the best speaker I have heard.
    I now have it in my Carlsbro 50Top combo, and it is simply wonderfull. In valve amps, it just seems to bring out the 'glass'. It has a very nice bass sound, not muddy, the mids are just great and the treble is smooth, but still there, it's like a 'presence'. I can't recommend that speaker enough.

Jon

17. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Ha, I've been preaching about the Cannabis Rex's since the 1st month they came out. I love reading other guys thinking it's the best speaker they've heard too .. Then again , I wouldn't care if everyone posted that they thought it sucked, as I like loving stuff that other guys don't.... not in this case I guess

ERIC

18. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Hi Eric how are ya!

would you think the Cannabis Rex would sound better than the Celestion G12H30 70th Anniversary edition I have in my Blues Deluxe RI w/JJ6V6 power tubes!

I like the Celestion but I'm always looking to improve, I need a speaker that sounds great clean and full with not a lot of power pushing it and use pedals for my OD needs most of the time!

19. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Quick answer= Yep.

It sounds great with every amp I have. I really haven't found a bad match for it and I have about 2 dozen amps.. Lot of Marshalls and Marshally amps, Voxy amps, Fenders and Fendery.. It 's a great speaker for cleans and great for medium gain and great for high-gain .

I find the louder you play them , the better. So for really ,really low volumes, I'd recommend other speakers probably but for medium to loud volumes , I'd recommend them for any amp that wasn't a really really dark amp. I bet you don't play at that low of a volume though normally, as you play hard rock stuff!

1 other speaker that not many guys on this forum know about or care about are PV Scorpians. They sound phenomenal in many amps. Nothing much in common with he Cannabis Rex, but just another great speaker. They have the nicest 'hi-end ' of any speaker I've used and are open sounding with no Celestion mid peaks. But yes for that amp I'd recommend the CR with no problem.

All of our ears are different, and seriously I love owning obscure and different equipment that other guys either haven't heard of , or don't know how to dial in , but so far I haven't read from too many CR dislikers! They should start posting though , as they have to be out there!!! There's pros and cons to EVERY speaker.

Eric

20. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Cool thanks for the Info Eric, I will check one out soon!