Eminence Commonwealth in a 1 x 12 with my Fuchs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SuperReverb2, May 13, 2006.

1. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have had one of the new Eminence Commonwealth (8 ohm) speakers in my 1 x 12 extension cabinet for 2 weeks now, (about 30 hours of playing time on the speaker) and I must admit that I am VERY impressed with this speaker. I did, as one other earlier review stated, notice a slight bit of high end "sizzle" when I first started playing through this speaker, but that quickly dissapeared after about 10 hours of use. This speaker is quite big and HEAVY (21 lbs) and with a 225 watt power rating you do have to feed it a bit of "juice" to get it going, (I certainly wouldn't recommend it for bedroom volumes) but once it gets cookin' this is one spectacular sounding speaker. Warm, FAT, HUGE sounding, well balanced, and extremely detailed seem to come to mind here, and if I didn't know this speaker had an aluminum dome by looking at it, I certainly wouldn't know it did by listening to it. I can get this speaker to be bright, but I have yet to get it to be harsh. Prior to the Commonwealth I was using the Tonespotters and then the Red White and Blues, and in comparison both those speakers sound rather small in stature.
    I do have one of the new EVM12L Classic 200 wat speakers arriving next week, but it will have to be one spectacular sounding speaker to knock the Commonwealth out of the cabinet it now occupies.

:)

2. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Please keep us advised about the EV speaker when it arrives. I'm trying to decide which speaker to put in my iso cab and I've been thinking EVM-12L Classic. I have 2X12 Red White Blues in my Fuchs ODS30SLX-HT combo... and I'm very happy with them... but I'm always willing to try a new speaker if it offers something "more."

Ted

3. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Front and back view of the 1 x 12 cabinet I built for the Eminence Commonwealth for those that are interested.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Has the EVM12L arrived yet??? Keep us informed... where does it fit in relative to the Commonwealth??

Thanks,
    Ted

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Neat. Very neat.
    Did you build to a plan that matched the speaker's characterisitcs? i.e. volume, shape, rear port size?

6. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

tedjac:

I spoke to A-I Consolidated (see link) on Friday, and they said the speaker was just leaving Minnesota that very day, and it would most likely arrive at their location (Coeurd'Alene Idaho) by mid (this) week. I'm only 10 hours away from A-I Consolidated by car, so they are going to "expidite" speaker to me once they get it, so I'm hoping to see it Thursday or Friday of this coming week. Mine is an 8 ohm speaker and from what I understand the 16 ohm model won't be available until the end of the month. I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get it installed, but it's going to have to some spectacular sounding speaker to "unplug" the Commonwealth.

http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=aicons&query=EVM12L

7. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

This is the third cabinet I've built. Two were 1 x 12's, and one was a 2 x 12. All three cabinets were made out of finger jointed (3/4" finished) Ponderosa or Idaho Pine. Both the 1 x 12's were tolexed (black and green) and the 2 x 12 had a "natural" Min Wax stain applied to it and then 3 coats of marine grade Spar Varnish. The 2 x 12 without the tolex is ever so slightly brighter/resonnant than the two 1 x 12's with the tolex. The guy I built the 2 x 12 for is using a pair of Emienence Tonespotters, and he's using it as the main cabinet for his Emerald HRDX. The dimensions for the 1 x 12's are 26 inches wide, 20 inches tall, and 11 inches deep. (outside measurements) The port at the back is 7 inches wide. The 2 x 12 has the same dimensions except it's 30 inches wide.
    The dimensions (for the 1 x 12's) were arrived at simply because a friend of mine wanted a 1 x 12 extension cabinet that he could set his Hiwatt head on. (Eminence Govenor) It had to be 26 inches wide, 20 inches "looked" like a good height, and 11 - 12 inches deep seems to be the standard for 1 x 12 cabinets these days. The oval port measurments (back) were arrived at by simply wanted an opening that not only gave the cabinet some open back/closed back tonal characteristics, but also "looked OK" in the process. In a nutshell, the magnet size on the Eminence speakers (for the most part) are 5 inches across, and adding an extra inch on either side for the opening (7 inches in total) not only looked "OK" but sounded pretty good as well. It is interesting to note that the 7 inch opening is big enough to get most speakers through (for swapping out speakers) without removing the back of the cabinet.

8. danel59

danel59 Member

I am looking at going to a 1x12 cab instead of my THD 2x12 but the reason of course is weight. Approximately how much does your 1x12 with Commonwealth weigh? The specs and tone are appealing to me but I do love my THD so if I am going to a 1 x 12 it has to be lighter.

Thanks

Dan

9. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

danel59:

It's "relatively" heavy with the Commonwealth speaker in it, (approximately 41 lbs) but bear in mind the Commonwealth speaker sports a 109 oz magnet and weighs in at 21.5 lbs. I haven't had too much trouble moving it around, but I have to admit the same cabinet with a Govenor (the one my friend has) is MUCH more fun to move around with 12 LESS lbs of speaker in it.

10. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

My EVM12L Classic 200 watt (8 ohm) finally arrived (late) today and after swapping out the Eminence Commonwealth that had been in my 1 x 12 for a month and a half, I managed to get about 2 hours of playing time on the EV before the neighbours started complaining.
    As I stated earlier in this thread, the Eminence Commonwealth is VERY balanced, FAT, and quite warm sounding, with a rounded top end yet still QUITE detailed.
    The EV (in comparison) is also VERY balanced, yet is seems to have a VERY pleasing mid presence about it that blends VERY well with my Fuchs. As a matter of fact the first thing I did was turn down the mids as soon as I started playing through the EV, as the mid setting I was using with the Commonwealth was too much with the EV. The Commonwealth certainly doesn't have the mids that the EV does, but the Commonwealth (to my ears) does sound better with the mids up a tad. The EV is also quite fat sounding, but it's NOT quite as warm as the Commonwealth. (that's not a bad thing though) The EV also has more presence on the top end than the Commonwealth, and the EV appears to be more efficient than the Commonwealth as well. (i.e. same volume setting, the EV "sounds" a fair bit louder than the Commonwealth) The EV is also "tighter" than the Commonwealth, (especially in the bottom end) but this "tightness" doesn't seem to make it feel or sound constricted in any way, but rather it seems to add a clarity and detail that (by comparison) now seems to be missing (or lessened) in the Commonwealth. The clarity and detail in the EV is actually quite stunning, and after tweaking the tone controls a tad, I have to admit I was VERY happy with what I was hearing. I also found it easier to achieve a better balance between the clean and OD channels of my Fuchs when using the EV, than the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth's warm, fat, round sound makes it easy to dial in GREAT cleans and leads, but when the cleans are sparkly, the leads seem a tad "edgy" and when the leads are smooth and mid rich, the cleans seem a tad darkish. The EV on the other hand seems to handle both the cleans and the leads with ease. The EV's "natural" mids allow me to turn the mids down on the amp, and while there is still LOT'S to thicken up the leads, the cleans seem to have quite a bit more "sparkle" and "bounce" to them.
    As with all new speakers, the EV does need some time to break in, but right out of the box this one seriously GREAT sounding speaker that just may relegate the Eminence Commonwealth to "back up" status.

I'll post some more thoughts in a week or so.

abnerfm likes this.
  11. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Here's a picture of the EVM12L Classic 200 watt in my 1 x 12 cabinet for those that haven't had a chance to see these new speakers yet.

[​IMG]

abnerfm likes this.
  12. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Thanks a bunch for your great descriptions... I think I know exactly what you describe from past experience withe EV speakers. They really are top of the heap. I recently purchased and Emi Delta Pro 12A and it has many of the EV characteristics. I still think the EV is t a tad "MORE" of whatever it is that makes it sound the way it does. Thanks again for the info.

Ted

13. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Ted:

You're welcome. I'll post some more thoughts once I get a bunch of hours on the speaker, but right now I'm having one of those work days that can't end fast enough as I would much rather be home trying out this new speaker than doing anything else. :)