Eminence EJ1250 Mounting Hole Alignment

DesertDirtDog

Just finished replacing the stock BadCat Celestion in my Cub II T 112 with an Eric Johnson sig.

A fantastic improvement in tone to my ear-it seems very evenly balanced with a nice smooth break-up when pushed, without ice-pick highs or mushy booming lows.

But getting it in there was a job- couldn't get any two mounting holes to line up, let alone the four I needed.

I very carefully voided my warranty by using a 1/2" countersink bit to cut the holes back to the very edge of the speaker frame, then used a rat tail file to ream them out. All four mounting bolts just barely cleared the edge of the speaker.

I was wondering whether anyone else has encountered this problem, and whether this is a manufacturers' defect on Eminences' account, or something inherent in BadCats' bolt and socket mounting system.

I didn't see anything unusual in the Celestion in regard to it's hole pattern, or notice any modification on the frame.

Anyway, it's in there and sounds great. Just be aware that it may require a little work to install this one in your amp. :cry:

RiftAmps

I just fitted one into an amp this morning, no issues whatsoever.

Sounds to me like the mounting bolts are angled slightly outwards, even if only by a few degrees, it can cause all sorts of problems

DesertDirtDog

Amp doesn't have a bolt and t-nut setup, with bolts protruding through the baffle that the speaker fits on, it has recessed threaded sockets in the baffle.

I couldn't get any two holes to completely align, no matter which way I rotated the speaker. When I would get two as close as possible, the other two were at least half off.

corn husk bag

Do you have a photo if the speaker from the back before you drilled it?
The frame may have been a late in the day rush job and out of kilter. Or the holes may have been drilled wrong using misaligned tooling.

Steve

DesertDirtDog

Do you have a photo if the speaker from the back before you drilled it?
The frame may have been a late in the day rush job and out of kilter. Or the holes may have been drilled wrong using misaligned tooling.

Steve
No, but it probably would have been better to take pics and post them in this forum, and be patient until I got a couple of professional opinions.

Good thing the speaker is in there and is everything I expected.

I almost pulled the Cele Gold in my Vic Regal II to see if it would fit in there, but I was not in that kind of mindset- more like, 'you're goin' IN, Bee'. ;)