• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Eminence GA SC64 in a Deluxe Reverb?

Sorry to start the 193738th Deluxe Reverb speaker thread... However, I haven't really been able to find a good answer on this so far... I ordered a GA SC64 last Friday, after reading rave reviews about it especially with old Fenders. I'm looking for something similar to a vintage Jensen for my SFDR, with just a hair less top end. Now I thought that was exactly what this speaker would give me, but now that I keep on reading reviews, some people say it is actually quite dark while others say it is indeed pretty bright. I'm not sure who to believe now...
I tend to like a nice and bright tone and I am trying to stay away from speakers like the Cannabis Rex that many people love in a DR, but to me, that speaker would just take away from the brightness/clarity that I like. I want the brightness and clarity that the DR offers, but without the ice pick. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the GA SC64 would offer me just that, or would it be a better option to return it and go for something different (WGS G12C perhaps)?

Thanks!

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
The answer to this question has everything to do with whether or not your particular amp has the bright cap intact or clipped.

If you and I try the same speaker but one clips the cap and the other doesn’t, we’re gonna have two very different results. As an example, most folks that like the C-Rex with a DR are usually those who haven’t clipped the cap, therefore they get the extra treble bite. For those of us who clip the cap to get rid of the ice pick, the C-Rex usually sounds like 10 pounds of mud.

Last edited:
That is a very good point. Although, at that point, it also depends how loud you play, as the bright cap gets defeated as you turn up the volume.
My amp still has a bright cap, which I like. It interacts surprisingly with pedals still, even when the bright cap is still audible at lower volumes. I also like the brightness and clarity it gives. I feel like even with the bright cap in place, the Cannabis Rex just takes away from the sound.

For this discussion, let's assume the bright cap is still in place.

Muttlyboy

Gold Supporting Member
I have both the WGS g12c, and the SC64.

The wgs has a stiffer attack and does seem a bit brighter.

I think that the SC64 has somewhat of a Celestion sound (kind of reminds me of a blue alnico)

I never got a chance to really open up the amp with WGS, but the SC64 does real well being pushed hard

Well the SC64 has a rather high resonance for a forward focus. But in all it's rather blunt in its nature.

It would depend on the style of Jensen you want to replicate here, really. The later 60s pulp cones got a bit more character than the mid 60s ones. Before that we have the seamed cone speakers, which are generallly brighter and feature a tighter low end - too tight for some.

I have both the WGS g12c, and the SC64.

The wgs has a stiffer attack and does seem a bit brighter.

I think that the SC64 has somewhat of a Celestion sound (kind of reminds me of a blue alnico)

I never got a chance to really open up the amp with WGS, but the SC64 does real well being pushed hard

Thanks! I like my blue alnico cab with my DR, but something is just slightly off with that pairing, so maybe the Emi is just perfect. Especially if the difference in brightness between the WGS and the Emi is only a bit I'm not too concerned. Sounds like it's the right choice for me.

Well the SC64 has a rather high resonance for a forward focus. But in all it's rather blunt in its nature.

It would depend on the style of Jensen you want to replicate here, really. The later 60s pulp cones got a bit more character than the mid 60s ones. Before that we have the seamed cone speakers, which are generallly brighter and feature a tighter low end - too tight for some.

To be honest I am not that into Jensens. But I heard that Emi/Alessandro took a certain Jensen (presumably one from 64) as a starting point for this speaker... I'm not sure which Jensen exactly has my preference as I just haven't tried enough. Just hoping the overall character pleases me and gets me close enough to that traditional Fender + Jensen type sound minus the ice pick top end.

blackba

Platinum Supporting Member
To be honest I am not that into Jensens. But I heard that Emi/Alessandro took a certain Jensen (presumably one from 64) as a starting point for this speaker... I'm not sure which Jensen exactly has my preference as I just haven't tried enough. Just hoping the overall character pleases me and gets me close enough to that traditional Fender + Jensen type sound minus the ice pick top end.

No worry with the sc64 and an ice pick high end, high end was much more rolled off than the Weber 12a125a pair that the sc64s replaced. The sc64 speakers do so much better with gain too. I run the sc64s with my bandmaster reverb, but I have tried one with a friend’s 72 deluxe reverb and liked the result.

silver surfer

I'm one of the early proponents of the GA speaker for DR. One of the first descriptions I gave was almost exactly what you are looking for - "the closest speaker I have found to the mid 60's Jensens only slightly warmer in the high end and slightly less scooped in the mids." A lot of TGPer's have since purchased the speaker and love it. But along the way on the many other DR speaker threads, others have described it as dark or like a celestion or not like a Jensen at all. I know who they are by now and what they are going to say. All of which blows my mind - not because I am saying they are wrong. It's the fact that other people can hear something so differently than I do and vice versa. It kind of puts all our gear descriptions into question. I'll be very interested to hear your take on the speaker if you do get it. As far as the bright cap, the normal channel of course gives you an idea of your tone without the bright cap, so you can try that to see how it would sound. I clipped the cap on my 66 DR and like it better. Good luck in your search. I hope you at least give the GA speaker a try as to me it is the absolute, perfect speaker based on your description LOL.

The one trade-off with these mid 60s speakers is that the rounder and smoother the mid-hump, the less you hear it as middy or bright.
Thanks! I like my blue alnico cab with my DR, but something is just slightly off with that pairing, so maybe the Emi is just perfect. Especially if the difference in brightness between the WGS and the Emi is only a bit I'm not too concerned. Sounds like it's the right choice for me.
Whether or not you're a fan of Weber speakers, their cone options (except for the Kurt Mueller one obviously) make good reference material for the evolution of Jensen tone.

T = mid 50s, A = late 50s into the 60s, W = mid 60s (thus comparable to the SC64) S = late 60s. The W, from roughly the brown and blonde eras, is perhaps best suited for Tele twang where you want good push in the mids but nothing rough to make your tone stand out. The comparison to the Cel Bulldog isn't too left field seeing that this is about as british as Jensen ever went. The later S-cone has more attitude in the mids, more akin to the A cone, yet about as full and warm sounding as the W cone.

Then you have the CTS sound (a sub division of Jensen, I believe) which is much like the A-cone, but not nearly as crystaline bright. Weber used to offer a couple of models aiming for this sound (could probably still be spec'ed off the menu) and those Jupiters I find sort of lean toward this sound as well. This is a rather safe route in that you don't have that many lows to create trouble there, yet you don't get too bright for comfort either.

Sorry for not really being able to reply until now. Thanks for all the input, especially @Humble Texan Fan's detailed post is just so useful!
I received the speaker and decided to give it a try. And, I'm really glad that I did! It sounds amazing in my opinion! I see how later 60's style Jensen clones (and the real deal) could have a bit more character, but I have to admit that this Emi just doesn't disappoint! It's sweet and chimey and takes away some of the stiffness of the amp, as if it compresses a little more. It has warmed up the amp just enough and there is no ice pick yet it's still wonderful and bright. A little darker than expected but still, there's plenty of top end. Perfect for an SF amp I'd say. In a BF amp I think I'd want a little more highs myself, but then that's just what I like...
I see what people are hinting at with the comparison with the blue, but I think the Emi is still more in the American camp... however, it has that sweetness of the blue! It sounds like an amazing American speaker with just the things you'd want from a blue thrown in. I love it! can't wait to hear how it sounds when it's broken in!

The SC64 is a great little speaker, hopefully some day I'll take one for a spin. I so would love to stack it against the Weber, which seems to have more 'cone' and texture to it. Adding some snap, as well, it seems.

Yes, I think it's the smooth midrange that can make it seem dark although it sort of isn't. I nurture this idea of fitting an alu dome to one or the Weber. The midrange obviously being so smooth it's not likely to sound very metalically bright at all, just extend the highend ever so slightly with just a hint of 'ping'.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
I have one in another amp and while it will smooth out the high end and accentuate the mids it is not a dark speaker. It is warm and round sounding and should be a great match for a DR. It will also give a tighter bottom.

Last edited:

silver surfer

Sorry for not really being able to reply until now. Thanks for all the input, especially @Humble Texan Fan's detailed post is just so useful!
I received the speaker and decided to give it a try. And, I'm really glad that I did! It sounds amazing in my opinion! I see how later 60's style Jensen clones (and the real deal) could have a bit more character, but I have to admit that this Emi just doesn't disappoint! It's sweet and chimey and takes away some of the stiffness of the amp, as if it compresses a little more. It has warmed up the amp just enough and there is no ice pick yet it's still wonderful and bright. A little darker than expected but still, there's plenty of top end. Perfect for an SF amp I'd say. In a BF amp I think I'd want a little more highs myself, but then that's just what I like...
I see what people are hinting at with the comparison with the blue, but I think the Emi is still more in the American camp... however, it has that sweetness of the blue! It sounds like an amazing American speaker with just the things you'd want from a blue thrown in. I love it! can't wait to hear how it sounds when it's broken in!

Whew! Good to hear. Glad you are liking the speaker. In a couple of threads I have described it as a mid 60's Jensen only better. While some speakers I have used seem to take a while to break in, the GA doesn't seem to change too much. Enjoy. It really handles volume and OD pedals well.

Jimmy MAck

I'm loving the tones I get with my SC64 in a Princeton Reverb II, which is more like a Deluxe R. than a Princeton R.! It has a 12" speaker as stock. Little break-in needed. All superlatives!
My buddy has the same amp, his had a doggy stock spkr. Bought the SC64 and now raves about the amp, which he was ready to dump.

Whew! Good to hear. Glad you are liking the speaker. In a couple of threads I have described it as a mid 60's Jensen only better. While some speakers I have used seem to take a while to break in, the GA doesn't seem to change too much. Enjoy. It really handles volume and OD pedals well.

I forgot to thank you for your post as well, it's extremely useful and it made me decide to try the Emi GA.
I could see how the GA may get a little looser (in a good way) and maybe a little sweeter as it breaks in, but if it stays like this I'd be very happy!

silver surfer

I forgot to thank you for your post as well, it's extremely useful and it made me decide to try the Emi GA.
I could see how the GA may get a little looser (in a good way) and maybe a little sweeter as it breaks in, but if it stays like this I'd be very happy!

That's exactly what will happen - just a little looser and just a little sweeter - slightly warmer - after break in. I have had a love affair with mid 60's Jensens since...well, the mid 60's and have tried several speakers that were advertised as being like them. They were all great speakers - never heard a bad speaker with a Deluxe Reverb from JBL to newer Jensen to Weber to Tone Tubby to Celestion and more, but none really captured that essence that I love about those early Jensens. The first time I fired up the GA-SC64 I knew I had found it. I have 6 of them in 3 different Fenders. Very cool that you found what you think is a great speaker for your amp.

theprofessor

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, the GA-SC64 is a great speaker with a Deluxe Reverb. It's a little more middy, a little bassier, and the treble a little more blunt than the mid- to late-60's Jensen C12N's I've tried. But it still retains the essential character or impression of the Jensens. A feat indeed!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom