Eminence Hype is Over, Back to the King.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Braciola, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Tried the Governors, Tonkers, Wizards, Private Jacks, and RedFangs.
    I even gave some rave reviews about the Governors and Wizards (While still in the honeymoon phase) and I still say that some of these speakers fair pretty well.
    But after spending a bunch of money(buying many Eminence speakers) and making some bad decisions (selling all of my English Celestions) I have come full circle, back to the undisputed king of rock tone, the Vintage 30 (well in my mind anyway)
    There is no other speaker that is as thick and cuts through the mix, from great rock crunch, to singing lead tone.
    I will agree that the mids can be fatiguing at times, but when paired with either G12H30's or greenback's (loaded on top), Celestions still deliver the goods. :dude

2. Steve Snider

Steve Snider Silver Supporting Member

Totally agree although I am anxious to try the Heritage series of Celestions. V30s still do it for me. I have tried Tonkers, Gov's, Cannabis Rex, Red Fangs and lots of others but keep coming back to the V30s.

I will very soon be selling all my amps but two or maybe three at most and all my cabs except the V30 loaded cabs and the V30/G12H30 4X12 cab I have. I am planning to load the 4X12 with the 30 watt heritage for tests but will keep a quad of V30s in case. I love them.

3. Guitarzan

Guitarzan Member

I will always love celestions, but I have to say, The Wizards are the best new speaker I've ever tried. I've been using them for everything. Just great for all around tones and applications.

4. Madison

Madison Supporting Member

+1:dude

5. Blueser

Blueser Member

Well I only tried the Red Fangs, Private Jacks, and the Governors. I thought they sounded good (not great), but in the end, I am staying with my Celestions and Fanes as well.

I just recently discovered (but others have been hip to them for a while), the Fane Alnico Blue. It has all of the upper mid harmonic complexity of a Blue, with less of the annoying brightness (I am not a jangle hound), and NO FLUB in the bass, no matter how hard you hit them. When I compared the Fanes, and the Govs with my SLO side by side in 2x12 loaded cabs the Governors sounded absolutely flat and lifeless, though by themselves they sounded good. It really pays to do A/B comparisons.

I applaud Eminence for bringing such a huge variety of more affordable speakers to guitar players. Unfortunately, I do feel that they offer less tone overall as well. Obviously, this is totally subjective, but I was really hoping to love the Emi's, and in the end, I only liked them.

6. sdgvintage

sdgvintage Member

What about the Chinese Celestions, how do those compare to the Kentucky made Eminences?

7. Blueser

Blueser Member

Though I was very skeptical in the beginning, I have really not heard any difference between the two. The Chinese Celes that I have heard were just fine.

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

9. kannibul

kannibul Member

No one would have known any different had Celestion decided to not go public with it.

10. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

-1 :FM

You folks who are returning to V30s, more power to ya - just don't point yours at me. :angel

11. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Well, I, for one, dispute that .... :) In fact, around here, the V30 would be HIGHLY disputed by most,given what I've read.

G12H30 all the way, if I had to choose only one.

I listened to many cabs brought over by Braciola during his Eminence experimentation phase, and didn't have a complaint about one of 'em ... never did a direct A/B against the Celestion equivalent though....

I personally choose a speaker for a certain application. I found that my Constellation sounds harsh through a 68 Basketweave. But my Marshall head loves that cab ... ... The same Constellation sounds KILLER through Celestion Blues and Red Fangs.

12. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I tried a Cannibas Rex, ended up disatisfied and went back to the stock speaker, I won't waste my money experimenting. I like the G12-H30 but I'll tell you what, every Weber I have heard has been excellent, I think they're my favorite overall. Alnico Blue Dog, Alnico Texas, and the speaker he designed for the new Fender tweed twin all are very, very good.

13. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

I have also been experimenting with a few speakers of late and I admit that I love the Emi Private Jack but am not as impressed by the Red Fang. The former, for me, is a great value while the latter is ho-hum. Speaking of V30s, I think they can be great speakers but only when pushed very hard (ie, LOUD!)...when played at low to moderate volume levels, they sound (to me) very sterile, thin and beamy. Since I no longer have an outlet to crank a 50W or 100W amp, they just aren't for me any more. The Celestion that I am super impressed with is the G12H30 Anniversary...wow! i put that in a Fender Blues Deluxe and it is fantastic...warm, full, focused and very dynamic....I was also initially impressed with the Mojo BVM25 but they had very pronounced cone cry and it drove me crazy...

14. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

i have never been a celestion fan. i thank god for weber and the new emi's. i the only emi i tried that i didn't keep was a cannabis rex. it's low end could not hang with the red fang or my weber michigan.

i find it hard to believe that someone could not tell the difference between the british and chinese made celestions. they are supposedly using different cements and assembly techniques at the chinese factory. there has to be a sound difference somewhere.

15. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Out of curiosity, BrewBeck, who owns the "big ears"? Can you elaborate?

16. IPlayHamers

IPlayHamers Member

Personally I never left the Celestion family and shame on you all that did.........:jo

17. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I have cleansed myself in the river of 'I told you so!' Hallelujah G12H30! :dude

18. Greazygeo

Greazygeo Member

V30's are a horrible speaker as are the Gov's......blech.

19. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I'm with you, no V30's overhere.

20. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

I'm sticking with my vintage Celestion speakers until they give out.