Eminence in a 2x12 for my Two Rock is WAY too dark?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by bjm007, Feb 6, 2006.

1. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Hey boys... I posted a thread while back about the best speaker and cab to use with my Two Rock Custom Reverb. The Eminence Red, White and Blue was the most recommended favorite, followed by the Two Rock 65 and the Eminence Tonespotter.

Well I got the Red, White and Blues and put 'em in a new birch ply 2x12 cab and JEEEEEEEZ are they dark! I must admit I'm more of a Marshall/Vox guy so I'm used to 4x12 cabs with G12H30's and 2x12 open backs with Celestion Blues, but this is a whole different sound altogether. Sounds like there's a blanket over the cab compared to my other cabs.......

Doesn't sound anything like the Kimock, Ford stuff that I was trying to go after...

I actually like the sound of the Two Rock much better through my Marshall 4x12 with the new G12H30 Heritage speakers........... :confused:

Any suggestions???

2. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Missed that thread. Would have recommended the Emmy Wizard. It's about as far from dark as you get without being overly bright. Great bottom end too. It's also one of the most -responsive- speakers I've played thru; so immediate.

3. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

Eminence put out a very detailed chart of the Red White and Blue speakers - describing each one. Look for it. I used it when loading my Buzzbomb.

4. JackD

JackD Gold Supporting Member

I think a lot depends on the amp, how it's set, the guitar you are using and other factors. I have a Bogner 2x12 Shiva cabinet that I was using with my Guyton GT 100 FV. I had the Vintage 30s pulled out and I put Eminence Tonkers in. I thought this cabinet would be perfect for my GDS 100 W (D*mble clone), which was bing built at the time. I also had a Two Rock 2x12 cabinet with the TR12-65s. The Two Rock Cabinet sounded a tad dark with the Guytron.

When I finally got my GDS, the Tonker loaded Bogner cabinet did not sound good. It was way too bright. The Two Rock Cabinet sounded much better (but still not fantastic, just better). I think this is due to the brightness and strong mids of the GDS D*umble style amp. When I got the rest of my rig together with a Rodenberg Flexloop (Dumbleator clone) and a TC 2290, BINGO!! The Two Rock Cabinet sounds killer. I think that the darkness of the Two Rock Cabinet with the TR 1265s, balanced out the brightness and strong mids of the amp and the rig. Overall the combination is great!

Anyway, that's just my story! (Your results may vary)

5. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Still having trouble getting used to the Eminence Red White & Blue with my Two Rock Custom Reverb. Leaning toward the Scumback or maybe an Avatar Hellatone (V30) to get a more balanced tone with less roll off in the highs...

Here is the original thread where there were a lot of guys who really liked the RW&B's with the Two Rock.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=121865

From my perspective, they sound like therre's a blanket over the speakers. For those of you who use them, do you still like them with the Two Rock?

6. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I don't know ANY TR players who have the Red, White and Blues in their cabs. It's a real surprise to me that anyone would even consider them, when TR offers a speaker made to their specs that most people think is a good match for their amps, including guys like Kimock and Mayer.

Anyway, I liked the TR 12-65s with my Onyx, and I also like the Mesa Black Shadow 90 with it. Both have a Celestion type sound, the TR is made to sound like the Celestion 65, and the other is a Mesa branded Classic Lead 80. I have played the Onyx with a closed back Bogner cab with V-30s, and it was really too bright for anything but sticking an SM57 in front of for recording.

Incidentally, I once did a session with the Onyx through an old Marshall cab with Greenies, and it did sound really nice! I like the brightness of most Celestions, tho.

One last thing: Have you tried reversing the polarity of the speakers in your amp? Kimock convinced me that sometimes that's all it takes to like a speaker. For instance, I felt the Mesa in my 112 was clacky sounding and dull. When I reversed the speaker leads, which took about five minutes, bingo. Absolute polarity is for real...

7. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Polarity.....
    Two Rock's are oppisite of most other amps. Their cabs are wired backwards so they match.
    Something to look at.

8. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Heh-um,did you check out the Scumbacks?:rolleyes: :)

9. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

10. scottl

scottl Member

The RWB speakers I heard sound an awful lot like the Two Rock 1265..... Just sayin'

;)

11. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

If you like the G12H30'S, you WILL love the Scumbacks.

12. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Interesting, thanks for the head's up...

In my other thread there were actually people who contacted Eminence directly and they were told (and emailed) that the Red, White and Blue is the closest speaker in their entire line to the one they make for Two Rock. They actually went so far as to say they are the SAME speaker, but have different wattage ratings.

So according to Eminence, the Red White and Blue is the Two Rock 65 with only some very minor differences...

That being said, I think I'm gonna try some of the 55 Scumbacks or maybe the Avatar Hellatone 60's...

Maybe I'm just not an Eminence kind of guy... :rolleyes:

13. bjm007

bjm007 Member

14. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>n my other thread there were actually people who contacted Eminence directly and they were told (and emailed) that the Red, White and Blue is the closest speaker in their entire line to the one they make for Two Rock<<

I'm not saying the RWB is a bad speaker; I just didn't know a single TR player who used one.

>>So according to Eminence, the Red White and Blue is the Two Rock 65 with only some very minor differences...<<

Ya know, one person's 'very minor differences' is another person's 'big differences'. The RWB is supposed to be an "American" sounding version of one of their Celestion copies, but the TR speaker is voiced to sound like a British Celestion, the old 12-65. The 12-65 wasn't a dark sounding speaker, and I honestly did not think the TR was a dark speaker.

It doesn't do the ice pick in the ear thing, of course, but to each his own.

15. bjm007

bjm007 Member

Thanks Les,

Do you know if Joe and Bill sell the speakers seperately?

I have at least two different 2x12 birch cabs and all I need would be the speakers...

16. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Yes,they will sell them separately...

17. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

>>Do you know if Joe and Bill sell the speakers seperately? <<

They will definitely, but I do recommend at least getting a clip of a TR speaker to listen to, to make sure it's indeed what you want.

I'd feel REALLY bad if I was the cause of someone buying something that wasn't gonna work for him/her.

18. Mike

Mike Member

Actually, we're really trying to get away from selling them separately, except to customers or folks with Two-Rock cabs. We are really not in the speaker business. I sold a bunch before New Year's and will not be offering any more, except as noted above. After trying over 10 different speakers in my Two-Rock cabs, the TR65's are my speaker of choice.

The higher wattage Scumbacks are intriguing though, and I'm looking forward to trying them in both 1x12 and 2x12 configurations. IMHO, it's alchemy to successfully mix/match amp/cab/speaker. For me it has also become :horse .

Mike

19. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

ROFLMAO-yer killin' me :dude