Eminence Lil" Buddy

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fridgit, Feb 21, 2008.

1. fridgit

fridgit Member

Anyone play through one of these?

I am looking at getting this speaker for my '77 Princeton NR and was wondering how these sound. The stock Oxford speaker is too bright and thin for my likes and I want something warmer and a bit darker. Is this speaker too dark? Too muddy?

2. russv

russv Member

I have a Lil Buddy in a 1x10 cab. I have run it up to 40 watts and haven't found it to be too dark or muddy. Warm, not brittle. I am very happy with mine.

3. fridgit

fridgit Member

Thanks. From the specs and other info posted on their website, this looks like the speaker that I want.

Does this speaker need to be broken in? I'm not too edumacated on this speaker matter.

4. anibas

anibas Member

I've had one in my Super Champ for about a year now,and it will definitely tame the high end,as well as improve overall low end response. Mine took a few months to break in,but sounds great now.

5. russv

russv Member

Yeah, I agree, it takes little while to break in. I dig it. It was reccommended to me a as a Tone Tubby on the cheap. I haven't played a Tone Tubby, but it is a good speaker.

6. fridgit

fridgit Member

Thanks so much! I am looking forward to hearing this in my Princeton. Those cleans can only get warmer!

7. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

You'll have to give us a tone report when you get some time with the speaker! I have been planning on having a pine cabinet with one of these (oversized 1x10) to run with a tweed style amp. Glad to see some talk about them!

Seth

8. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Totally diggin my two little buddies. I'm using both in different 1x12+1x10 cabs along side Cannabis Rex. Great combo.

9. voojo

Cool Leonc, what are you running through your cabinets? Have you tried a Tweed style amp with them?

10. Leonc

Not tweed, one of these combos is a variant of the AB763 circuit. Basically, like a black face super w/o trem or reverb. Dayum...gotta be one of the best sounding combos I've played through.

The other combo is a stock Gibson GA-30RVT Invader. KILLER cleans; fantastic through that speaker combination.

11. Leonc

12. voojo

Awesome Leonc, I just checked out your gear on your personal page, you have a really unique collection of stuff!

Sorry for the mini thread hijack!

13. Leonc

Hey thanks. "Unique" - I like that word. I think my collection more as "weird / nutty / ecclectic" heheh.

14. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Another thing that makes me want to try the Lil Buddy is it's what Steve Carr is using stock in the newish Mini Mercury. He uses the Eminence Wizard in the 12" Mercury, and that is the best 12" speaker I've ever owned, so I figure the guy knows his speakers.

How do you guys think the LB will sound with a Rivera Clubster 25?
    [/FONT]

15. Leonc

Hey I just bought another pair of Lil Buddies. I had robbed the two from my other amps to try them in my 4x10 "VT-40" type cab and they sounded great. So I bought another pair (have to recommend Bernie at BLTsound.com) and put my other two back in their respective amps.

As for trying them with a Tweed, I still haven't however, I'm using the 4x10 with a couple different amps that share some traits with tweeds. I just got a '62 6v6-based Ampeg Mercury. I built a head cab for it because it sounded sooooo freekin good through this 4x10 (I've got two Jensen C10Qs on top and the Lil Buddies on the bottom). It's 2x6V6 + 3x6SL7 + 5Y3. Kinda Tweed-Deluxe-ish...but it's got its own thing going.

[​IMG]

I also play a Heritage Colonial through this 4x10 and that smokes too. Reminiscent of an old Bassman / JTM45 type circuit with a bit more flexibility.

16. russv

russv Member

LeonC, Damn nice amps there, the Ampeg Mercury looks interesting. I would love to get a 1x10/1x12 cabinet. And 4x10s :dude