Eminence Maverick for bedroom-level cleans and low to medium gain?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by redeyedjim, May 12, 2015.

1. redeyedjim

redeyedjim Silver Supporting Member

I have a Sovtek MIG-50 that I just got back from being serviced, and for the first time in about 10 years the amp is working properly and sounds great. Huzzah! I always loved the tone of this amp and am happy that it's fixed and functioning properly again, as the amp was deader-than-dead. Now it's back to its old self: Ch1 sounds very Bassman-like again, while Ch2 is more mid-focused and more plexi-like. :aok Unfortunately I'm not in a band at the moment, so I don't really have the opportunity to crank it up.

That's a problem of sorts, as I had forgotten just how loud this amp could get, and how much better it sounds as you turn it up! Now that I've spent the money to get it working again, I need to tame its volume a bit for home use, or my neighbors are going to throw fits. As an aside, I do have several low power amps I can play late at night and not disturb anyone, but this amp has its own thing going on that's a lot of fun. It isn't critical that I use it, but I want to see if I can find a way to make it work in my current situation.

Rather than open yet another debate about the merits and pitfalls of standalone attenuators, I am interested in hearing opinions about the Eminence Maverick FDM speaker, the "American-voiced" one with the built-in attenuator. I've listened to all of the YT clips I could find, of which there aren't that many, and most feature much higher gain than I play with. I am curious how this speaker handles Fender-y clean tones and low to medium gain plexi-style dirt and crunch? Not looking for silent operation, or for a perfect emulation of a vintage Jensen or Celestion, just looking for something that will let me work the amp a bit harder without necessarily raising the volume too much while still sounding pretty good. I'm not looking for a perfect solution (...cough...FluxTone...cough...), but the Maverick speakers are pretty affordable these days, and I may spring for one if it would let me work the amp into its sweet zone without rattling the shelves.

Thanks!

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

It's quite surprising that these gather such little interest around here.

3. Jackie Treehorn

Jackie Treehorn Member

I've had the Reignmaker for awhile. They're only good for about 10 db, so it's not going to be super quiet. It worked a lot better than an airbrake with my rocket/ac30 type amp. There's a pretty significant tonal shift, too, which might be why they're less popular. I didn't have a problem dialling in some extra top, but the bottom can get muddy in an unwieldy way. Mine is in a wide body Mesa 1x12 which leans toward boomy bass, though.

4. redeyedjim

So I picked up an Eminence Maverick a few weeks ago and finally got around to testing it out this weekend -- not with the Sovtek as I had thought, but instead with my Allen Chihuahua.

My first thoughts are that this is a just very good sounding American-style speaker. Even using it without attenuation, just as a regular speaker, it sounds GREAT - very Jensen-like, nice chime, articulate but not harsh, handles Fender Champ-style breakup very well, etc. Very good sounding speaker out of the box, and it should only get better as it gets broken in.

The attenuation feature works very well for what it is, and it does removed a lot of the "body" from the speaker's volume. It allows (or enable) breakup at lower volume -- some of that may be amp power section breakup, or it may be that it (also?) reduces the speaker's headroom. In any event, it sounds really good. With the speaker set for maximum attenuation I can raise the master volume on the amp a step or two over where it was before, and it sounds better all around, even though the final volume is a little quieter. or I can leave the master as it was and the volume is very quiet.

This is not a replacement for a standalone hardware attenuator, and it probably wouldn't matter much if I was using it with a 50w amp, but for a low wattage amp, it really does enable me to get more from the amp's power section late at night than I was previously able to. So for me, this speaker is a very good fit. And like I said, even ignoring the attenuation capabilities, this is just a good sounding speaker. :cool:

5. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

I politely disagree a bit...

I just picked up a Maverick FDM as well, to try out in my Limited Ed. HRDx III - which had a Celestion 25W (why Fender put a 25W speaker in a LOUD 40W tube amp is beyond me) Greenback in it. I'm not a Celestion guy to begin with, so I figured with the Eminence I would get a more American-sounding speaker + the attenuation that comes with the FDM tech.

Once I installed it, the first thing I did was turn it all the way "down" (full attenuation) with all my knobs set as they were. And WOW, what a difference. A lot lower in volume, but not a tremendous change in tone. In fact, I barely tweaked. It really was as close as I've heard to "your tone...just softer". It was missing a BIT of body, but that's normal at lower volumes. But most importantly, it didn't throw my EQ out of whack like most attenuators. The attenuation was significant enough that I found a happy-place right in the middle (50% attenuated). This way...if I'm playing a quieter place...I can turn it down to full, or if it's a louder place...turn it UP full....and neither will affect my tone at all, but I DEFINITELY get the boost/drop in volume. Perfect.

That said...I would say that while I don't totally subscribe to the "speaker HAVE to be 'broken in'" philosophy (most that I have done it to exhibited a barely noticeable difference), I've never heard a speaker that benefits from a break in as much as this one. It was extremely stiff until I ran my phone's music through it for a solid 16 hours at significant volume. The difference was night and day. I wouldn't say the tone changed much, but the "feel" of it (stiffness) definitely did. If that makes sense.

I'm really surprised that these didn't catch on more. I think the technology is sound, and the results are as good if not better than most hardware attenuators out there. Why spend $500+ for something else you have to carry to a gig? This is an excellent sounding speaker in it's own right, and the FDM is icing. No, it won't go from RAGING to WHISPER...so if that's what you need, go for a Power Station (but really, you should be looking at different amps then too). My amp and wallet thank me for this purchase. :)

6. redeyedjim

:huh

Actually, I think we're in agreement -- we both like this speaker, and we both agree that it does what it's supposed to do and sounds very good doing it. And if it sounds even better broken in, cool -- mine will be broken in pretty soon.

7. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

Sorry, I mis-read it and thought you were saying it was JUST a good sounding speaker (I saw "just" a few times). My bad - we are agreeing :aok