Eminence Patriot 8" Hemp Cone Speaker- Anyone Try It?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by critter74, Apr 26, 2015.

1. critter74

critter74 Supporting Member

So I as of this morning am now he owner of a Swart 6V6SE (thanks Two Steps). The amp is great. But the I hate the speaker. I've never been a fan of Weber speakers and this one is no different. The main issue is it has no bass and too many high mids. I know 8" speakers aren't going to be able to kick out the bass like even a 10" but I'm looking for something a bit better.

So Eminence has the Pattiot 8" with Hemp cone. Essentially an 8" CR. I'm thinking this will add the Bass I want an game a little of the Presence. But they aren't cheap (compared to other 8" speakers). But as I only need 1, if it works I'll go for it.

So has anybody tried one? Thoughts? Advice for other 8" speakers that will sound a little more full? Again I'm realistic in my expectations. I just want the Weber gone.

By the by- I plugged the Swart into a JDesign Bluesbreaker 2X12 cab with Scumback M & H PVC's with a PRS P90 McCarty and a Throbak Overdriver Booster (Colorsound clone) and the amp roared. Real nice.

2. Kelsey

Kelsey Member

I have one in my '69 drip edge SF Champ. I replaced the stock Oxford with a Jensen P8R RI, which was an improvement and sounded good. However, most of the 8" speakers I've tried have a papery harshness to the high end when pushed. The Emi 820H eliminated that problem, and delivers a fuller and more balanced tone. It isn't a lot louder than the Jensen RI, despite the difference in dB ratings, but it sounds better pushed and with OD than the Jensen. It barely cleared the output transformer in the cab, but it's working fine.

AFAIK, Eminence is only making a 4 ohm version, but if that's a fit with the Swart, then go for it.