Eminence Ragin' Cajun

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Electric I, May 12, 2006.

1. Electric I

Electric I Member

Would you say it's better than the other Emi 10-inchers at handling lower frequencies?

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

3. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

T-Town. Home of street construction hell!
    Hi,

I realy like my RC. I can't vouch for the other Emi 10s but the RC has a nice tight low and mid low. Being a 10 inch it doesn't have a huge bottom end.

I assume from your question you have another Emi 10 and aren't thrilled with the lows?

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

Ahoy, Cap'n

Actually, I'm looking to replace a stock speaker in a budget all-tube 1X10 combo.

I'm hoping the Cajun will yield max low end ( as much as can be had with a 10" ) as well as more efficiency/headroom/volume.

Just bought a Cajun & here's hoping it's up to the task.

Thanks for the input.

5. bigroy

bigroy Member

I replaced the stock 10" in my Fender Pro Jr. Lot's more low end, and more output. I like it a lot better than the stock speaker. I have had no experience with the other Emi 10's.

I like the speaker.

Let us know how it works out for you.

6. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

Give it a good 5-6 hours of use before drawing any conclusions. Mine was a little harsh sounding before it got broken in. They smoothed out nicely though.
    Let us know your opinion.

7. Seegs

Seegs Member

heres a direct quote from Guitar Players Eminence roundup by Terry Buddingh from 2005...

"Compared to the vintage-flavored Copperhead, the Ragin Cajun's low end is a bit leaner with more twangy detail and it's midrange has a more forceful punch. The Ragin Cajun's narrower treble emphasis give it less complexity and shimmer on top, while it's midrange conveys a bolder and more assertive kerrang".

I've had both and the Copperhead is voiced more in the upper-mids lending itself to being a great choice for really articulate clean playing although it does overdrive nicely it does have a sizzle to it...

The RC OTOH is not as articulate but still sounds good clean...

its strength IMO is that it overdrives really creamy smooth and crunches very nicley...both are great speakers!!

Chow,
    Seegs

8. Cap'n Fingers

Cap'n Fingers Member

Good description. I agree, you don't get the real shimmery highs. I don't seem to miss the highs because I love the growl. :drool

9. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have a RC in my Super Champ. It has nice low end but not boomy thumping low end. I don't think there is a single Emi that will give you that. I do think the Delta Demon may have more low end than the RC though.

10. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

11. dionysusmyth

dionysusmyth Member

Thanks for the 105 tip. I have an RC...have been wanting to pair it up with another 10...lets see now...will it be the 105 or the copperhead? Decions, decisions.

Oh, yah...I fogot...just bought a Red Fang and a Cannabis Rex. Better pace myself. No more speakers for me this month. :YinYang

Have fun with the RC...I love mine, now that it is broken in.

12. Matt H

Matt H Guest

another vote for the 105's in all three important categories... "all around great speaker", "great bang for buck", and "readily available"

13. Boogs

Boogs Member

This just in - the Ramrod is an awesome 10" as well. Very big, balanced sound in my Goblin. It loves all of my guitars, and it ain't going nowhere!

David

14. Matt H

Matt H Guest

I like the ramrod a lot- i've just found it doesn't play well with other speakers (except the emi big ben... a 15"er in another cab)

15. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

Legend 105 is one of the best 10" speakers I've ever used. It's currently paired up with a Celestion G10S-50 in my 2x10" cab. Awesome combination! That cab has been through most all permutations of these two and a Ragin Cajun/Delta Demon set.

16. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

I was considering mixing the Legend 105 with the Rajun Cajun. What's your take on that pairing?

17. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

That was my second favorite setup. It hada good clear sound, solid bass and mids, handled volume and OD very well. It had less top end "sparkle" than I got with the 105/G10S pair, which is what put that combo on top for me.

Here's the setups I tried and how I rank them (YMMV):

Amp heads are JTM45 clone and 100w Sundown.

105/G10S - super setup
    105/Ragin Cajun - as nice all around as the #1 setup except for the top end
    105/105 - great vintage Fender-type sound, had less bottom than the first two
    Ragin Cajun/Delta Demon - great bottom and mids, dusky top end. Clear but not chimey cleans. The RC tended to overpower the DD

I have since put the DD in my Savage Macht 6 and it's working out pretty good, although I haven't had a chance to really play it in the band setup yet.

18. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

It sounds like we have similar tastes in speaker sound CC.

The other combo I was interested in is the RC and the Copper Head. I wonder if that combo would also have the top sparkle.

19. Electric I

Electric I Member

Wow... thanks for all the input, everyone. I'll be sure to post my findings with the Cajun installed.

Although now I can't help but wonder if the 105 is the optimum way to go.

Cheers

20. Rambo66

Rambo66 Member

I need to replace the stock speaker in my Pro Jr. (it’s a goner) and I was curious about what Eminence I should go with.

I love the Pro jr. but I always found myself with the tone knob all the way up, and I am in no way a treble freak. I just always wished I could get just a little bit more top end. I like to use pedals with the Pro Jr. so I don’t need it to break-up any earlier than it already does (although I’m sure a more efficient speaker with help with that) and I want as full range a sound as I can get, low end, relatively tight, not loose and flabby.

What Eminence 10” do you suggest?

I’m also thinking of replacing the speakers in my 2x10 Peavey Delta Blues. I’m considering mixing two, what Eminence speakers do you suggest for something like that?