Eminence Ramrod vs Celestion G10 Vintage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Promit, Nov 29, 2013.

1. Promit

Promit Member

Anybody have experience with these speakers? I'm trying to create a unicorn -- a 4x10 cab with the feel of a 4x12 V30 equipped beast. I know the G10 Vintage is explicitly designed to be similar to the V30, but the Ramrod seems interesting too. It also lists a better bass response, and a bit cheaper too.

Which of these speakers would work better for hard rock and metal?

2. Promit

Promit Member

Thanks -- did see that one already but I was hoping to have a little more to work with than that one guy's take ;)

3. flatfinger

flatfinger Member

well I have them in a sealed cab and he's spot on about the fact that they don't need to be pedal to the metal to sound great . I'm sorry I have no experience with the celestion....

4. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

i have owned both at the same time and kept swapping them in a pro Junior, here is my take......
    the G10 is an all out assault distortion speaker, great with a Hardwire Metal pedal if you like Metallica stuff.
    The cleans are not as warm with a ever present, but mild bottom end.
    over all scooped IMO.
    great speaker in its own right.
    The Ramrod is more American sounding despite the red basket, with a more forgiving top end and and bigger bottom closer to the Fender tone than the G10.
    The Ramrod also sounds great the my Hardwire Metal pedal, similar to the G10 but again with a slightly rolled off top end, nothing a twist of a tone knob cant fix.
    I kept the Ramrod BTW.

5. uriahh1

uriahh1 Member

I had both. The G10 (vintage not greenback)..had more articulation. The ramrod
    was like a V30..both growled...in a princeton...

6. Toneseeker361

Toneseeker361 Member

more articulation, yes I agree

7. ES330

ES330 Member

The ramrod is great for thickening up some midrange,
    but I thought the G10 was clearer and would make more
    sense for a 4x10

But for heavy distortion that would be clear, you should also
    consider the Eminence Lil Buddy.

8. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

I've owned both and used them in a 4x10... I think the Ramrod sounded most like a 12"inch speaker in a 10" platform... really big sounding, The G10 sounded like a mini Vintage 30 midrange wise and not as much bottom as the RR. Both are great speakers... JMO. I thought the review in this link was very accurate from experience as well

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Arch.../msg02968.html

9. willvis

willvis Member

Ramrod is a great all around speaker---I've used the Celestions too---but I love the Ramrod w/ a Princeton Reverb and a Tele or P90 Les Paul...Strat...Gretsch..!

10. bjornkom

bjornkom Supporting Member

In case somebody is still looking at this thread: I just bought an original '73 Silverface Princeton Reverb. I love the tone overall, but the original Jensen speaker is just a bit too brite, especially with my fuzz faces, that sound like an impenetrable swarm of mosquitos from hell. So I contacted Eminence, because I love what their Red Coat series Private Jack speaker does for my Hot Rod Deluxe. Warm mids, ever so slightly toned-down brightness. They say what I need is their 10" Ramrod. Am I on the right track here? Thanks guys!