Eminence Red Fang?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mark C, Jan 4, 2006.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

Any opinions on this speaker now that it's been out a while? Thinking of pairing it whith a Univalve and an 18 watt Marshall for clean and dirt sounds.

2. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

Its a great sounding speaker with low power amps.

3. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

Hey Doug, aren't these supposed to sound like Celestion Blues? Do they? I'm thinking about upgrading the speakers on my AC30 combo and these have crossed my mind. Then again, I wouldn't mind something with more lows and smoother highs and the Red Fang probably isn't the best bet for that (judging by the description on the Eminence website).

Chris

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Disclaimer: I am not a fan of the Univalve generally, I sold mine 6 months after purchasing it. However, I've come to acknowledge that this is more an indication of my preferences than the amp's tones and quality as others (like Ed D.) coax tones out of Univalves that are simply inspiring.

I tried a Red Fang in a 1X12 with a Univalve and didn't like it in that application at all. Tried a bunch of other speakers, too, before settling on a MESA 90W Black Shadow as the best option for this amp based on maximum volume/headroom, strong and non-flubby bass response, and excellent overall frequency response.

The MESA smaller sized 1X12 w/90W Black Shadow is an excellent cabinet to pair with a Univalve.

5. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

That speaker works FANTASTIC with my Constellation. Compared to G12H30s, they are a little darker and warmer.

6. trisonic

trisonic Member

I like Red Fangs a lot - they are somewhat close to Blues but just not quite there enough. I tend to use a single Blue with my UniValve.
    By the bye I prefer the Uni with 6V6's, 6K6's or EL37's - you have to have patience to try all the tube combinations out.

Best, Pete.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

What he said! I LOVE that speaker paired with a Cannibs Rex for my Constellation.

8. Mark C

Mark C Member

Thanks guys! I think I may have to try one.

9. Cottage

Cottage Member

I've had a pair o' Fangs in a Korg AC30 for approx. a year and they are sounding great. They sounded quite good to begin with, but now that they are broken in, I'm a believer. Definately an alternative to the Cele Blues.

10. JNixon

JNixon Supporting Member

I just put a Reg Fang into a Vox AC15CC and I was blown away by the improvement in tone. I was pretty happy with the stock wharfedale, but I have always been intrigued by alnico speakers, but never had the opportunity to try one. I jumped on a used one from the emporium and am happy I did. It's warm and smooth and sounds great clean or dirty.

11. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

Is a Red Fang more or less efficient than a Blue?

12. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

I keep hearing warm and smooth describe this speaker, do you guys think it'll give my that Vox jangle I'm looking for and restore the upper mids I've been looking for my Fargen? I just put in a Hellatone 30 in there and it gets a nice tight low end and warm balanced sound, but since the amp has more low mids, I ordered a Red Fang hoping to change it up and fill the other end of the spectrum a bit better.

13. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I feel that the Fang is quite close to a Blue, not exactly the same, maybe missing just a wee bit of sweetness of the Blue, but near enough. Still plenty of sparkle and chime. Maybe a little throatier? And given better power handling and the price difference? Well worth considering if you like Blues.

14. aeolian

aeolian Member

I have a Fang in my DR. It definitely gives it that clear open chime. Nice warm bottom end too. Only problem is that it starts to compress and lose that wonderful tone at anything above 5. Then I have to swap it for a G12H30 to keep a similar sounding body to the tone at higher levels.

This amp has the upgraded Allen transformers and SF coupling cap so it passes more bottom end than a typical DR. Hotly biased JJ 6V6's and it's putting out around 26W. But other than the obvious compression (which some may like but I don't), the Fang handles this amp wide open with no protest, even with a pedal in front.

15. granite

granite Member

I just ordered a 2x12 loaded with an Emi Fang and an a Emi Wizard. The Wiz is voiced similar to the G12H30. The Fang/Wiz pairing is suppose to be a great combo since it combines the best features of both speakers. I let you know once I get it, but here is a link to a clip of the Fang/Wiz combo.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=121636

Also, check out post #20 in this thread for Fang only clips

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=121219&page=2

16. claptonisgood

claptonisgood Member

+1:dude