Eminence Red Ryder, Tonespotter, Stonehenge Content

Messages
6,116
OK, here we go;
Today I went through the Red Ryder, StoneHenge, and ToneSpotter (in pairs).

The Red Ryder holds together amazingly well with high power
amplifiers. Anyone wanting a high power speaker with a ton
of headroom, and less breakup, this is it. The tone is very warm,
no highend harshness what so ever. I started with a 100watt Marshall Masterlead. With both volume controls wide open
the Ryder's (pair) held together on low notes with no muddy
compression. The speakers have a very British sound yet no crackling in the top end like most speakers do with a master vol amplifier. I would put this speakers performance somewhere in the ballpark of the Tonker, but I find it better suited for British sounding amps with or without master volumes. The Tonker is better suited IMO for Fender style circuits.
A 200watt Sound City, Blackface Showman, and Marshall Major finished off the testing. The Ryder's results were equal with all amps. With the Fender the tone was great, but I like this speaker on the British tones much better.

The Tonespotters were very balanced, breakup is smooth.
I would certainly put their tone somewhere in the Govenor/Wizard/Stonehenge area, but the topend is not as sharp
or upper mid heavy as the Govenor. I liked these best with non-master volume amplifiers. I also used a Rocca Rockie, Custom 18 and found the ToneSpotters worked well with EL84 tube type distortion. Very smooth tube OD without any strangeness.
Loved them.

The Stonehenge's cut very well with all amps used.
I honestly couldn't get a bad tone no matter what I tried.
This speaker didn't seem to care what amp I used,
everything just worked.
After trying the whole RedCoat line I can't really say which
is better. I think everyone just needs to try them all and form their opinions.
Personally, I'm very pleased with the Man'O'War, Private Jack and Govenor as all around speakers for what I like to play/use.
On the American amp tones, I would recomend the Tonker (most headroom) and the Wizard for more of the Vintage twang.

Below are pictures of the cabs/speakers and my trusty employee Jen;


 

macula56

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
2,818
i got a pair of governors after reading your review of them and they are wonderful speakers. what do the wizards sound like? also i see in another post that you like the rajin cajuns. what do they sound like? thanks. jmac
 
Messages
6,116
Originally posted by macula56
i got a pair of governors after reading your review of them and they are wonderful speakers. what do the wizards sound like? also i see in another post that you like the rajin cajuns. what do they sound like? thanks. jmac






I would say the Wizard is more bell like on cleans,
sounded great with Fenders.
With OD, not as topend aggresive as the Govenor.
The Rajin Cajun's are very open sounding,
more than any other 10" speaker I ever used.
I'm not a big 10" speaker fan for anything,
but these are so good I really enjoyed
playing through them.
 

ericb

Gold Supporting Member
Messages
9,736
Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps
I would say the Wizard is more bell like on cleans,
sounded great with Fenders.
With OD, not as topend aggresive as the Govenor.
The Rajin Cajun's are very open sounding,
more than any other 10" speaker I ever used.
I'm not a big 10" speaker fan for anything,
but these are so good I really enjoyed
playing through them.
Believe it or not I tried a Wizard with a Mesa Tremoverb's hi-gain a few weeks back and it KILLS... I 've had no time to swap speakers tho recently but within a few weeks I think I'm putting both of my Wizards in that amp

ERIC
 
Messages
6,116
Originally posted by ericb
Believe it or not I tried a Wizard with a Mesa Tremoverb's hi-gain a few weeks back and it KILLS... I 've had no time to swap speakers tho recently but within a few weeks I think I'm putting both of my Wizards in that amp

ERIC





The Wizards are great. You should also try the Man'O'War's,
they love overdrive.
 

tonefreak

Member
Messages
2,461
Originally posted by Roccaforte Amps
The Wizards are great. You should also try the Man'O'War's,
they love overdrive.
Yes they do! I just received my Man'O'Wars at my door step yesterday and wired them up in my 1x12.

I only have a few minutes to play, but they sounded amazing with my Germino Masonette and Suhr Classic in all pup positions. Cleans were nice as well.

Too early to tell... the speaker needs more hours before it breaks in.... but I don't expect taking the Man'O out any time soon.

Doug... thanks for the recommendation, I believe you were spot on with your evaluation of the Man'O!!!!!!
 
Messages
6,116
Originally posted by tonefreak
Yes they do! I just received my Man'O'Wars at my door step yesterday and wired them up in my 1x12.

I only have a few minutes to play, but they sounded amazing with my Germino Masonette and Suhr Classic in all pup positions. Cleans were nice as well.

Too early to tell... the speaker needs more hours before it breaks in.... but I don't expect taking the Man'O out any time soon.

Doug... thanks for the recommendation, I believe you were spot on with your evaluation of the Man'O!!!!!!





Its funny, even my helper Jen noticed the tone instantly.
She looked at me and said; "those sound real good."
She's a bass player, but certainly notices guitar tones
that kill. The Man'O'war is very impressive.
 

carltonh

Member
Messages
1,545
Tonefreak, care to offer your comparison of the Man-o-War's to other speakers your familiar with? They sound like they might be great for me, though I'm unsure about the brightness, and if the midrange is too scooped like a G12t-75. I've already got a Texas Heat, with a Red Ryder and Governor on the way.

Doug, though I know you've tried a ton of speakers, you may eventually want to try the Texas Heat, because it sounds very similar to the Man-o-War description but probably just a little less bright.
 

Mike

Member
Messages
2,539
Man-o-War vs. Wizard vs. Tonespotter?
(Clean - moderate gain)

Please?

Thanks, Mike
 

tonefreak

Member
Messages
2,461
carltonh-

Speakers that I've used are V30, G12M, Governors and now the Man'O'War.

When I replaced the V30s 16 Ohm with the Gov 8 Ohm, the difference was immediate! The Govs sounded more dynamic... not so narrow in range that I feel the V30s to be. I was playing a Naylor SuperDrive 60 and a Dr. Z Z28 with my trusty Suhr H/S/S.

I have sinced sold the Naylor and Dr. Z, and I'm now running the Germino. I personally didn't like the Gov with that amp, so I plopped a G12M 16 Ohm in my 1x12... sounded great.

Okay, so now I'm expecting a Fuchs Lucky 7 to come in a couple of weeks. Problem: no 16 Ohm out, only 8 and 4. Solution, get another speaker.

Man'O'War became available, so I got an 8 ohm. Doug has great ears IMO, which prompted me to go back to Eminence. Bright? Compared to the Govs, they do sound a tad brighter to me, but it's all relative... that's what the tone knobs are for on your amp... right?

I like the added top end because the Suhr V60 single pups really sound nice when I clean-up the Germino. But, most important, the Man'O sounds great when I crank the Germino... Govs sounded alright, but the Man'Os are a better match.

Waiting for the Fuchs to come in, and I would like to put more hours breaking-in the Man'O... I just wired it in last night!

I hope this helps... I'm not so good at describing tone like Doug... I just know it sounds great with my set-up.
 

aquadog

Member
Messages
1,280
It seems like doug has tried pretty much all of the eminence line. I wish there was some kind of master list avaliable that described all of their speakers in terms of relative tone, headroom, preferable type amps, and how they handle clean/dirt. Maybe I'm asking for too much. Does eminence have something like this on their website?
I'm only asking because in general, I really like Doug's descriptions of speakers.

I guess I might as well ask you flat out ask you for a speaker recommendation then:
I know in the Man 'o war thread, I mentioned that I'm using a Sunn T50C, which is stock with a Chinese Celestion G-12T-75. It's 50 watts non master volume, with a clean fendery/voxy vibe and as its cranked up, I can only describe it as this huge, super thick combination of natural american and british overdrive (sorry for not being too specifically descriptive). The problem is that the current speaker really needs a lot of volume to sound decent, and tends to sound overall somewhat harsh and is not as articulate or clear as I would like with the amp cranked.

What I'm asking is for a speaker with a little mids (I don't like scooped mids), decent headroom, and very clear and articulate so I can actually hear the notes, instead of it sounding like mush or being harsh/raspy. It also shouldnt fart out with bass or be super bright. Is there something fitting here Doug or anyone with experience from the eminence line? Or am I asking for too much again?
 
Messages
6,116
Originally posted by aquadog
It seems like doug has tried pretty much all of the eminence line. I wish there was some kind of master list avaliable that described all of their speakers in terms of relative tone, headroom, preferable type amps, and how they handle clean/dirt. Maybe I'm asking for too much. Does eminence have something like this on their website?
I'm only asking because in general, I really like Doug's descriptions of speakers.

I guess I might as well ask you flat out ask you for a speaker recommendation then:
I know in the Man 'o war thread, I mentioned that I'm using a Sunn T50C, which is stock with a Chinese Celestion G-12T-75. It's 50 watts non master volume, with a clean fendery/voxy vibe and as its cranked up, I can only describe it as this huge, super thick combination of natural american and british overdrive (sorry for not being too specifically descriptive). The problem is that the current speaker really needs a lot of volume to sound decent, and tends to sound overall somewhat harsh and is not as articulate or clear as I would like with the amp cranked.

What I'm asking is for a speaker with a little mids (I don't like scooped mids), decent headroom, and very clear and articulate so I can actually hear the notes, instead of it sounding like mush or being harsh/raspy. It also shouldnt fart out with bass or be super bright. Is there something fitting here Doug or anyone with experience from the eminence line? Or am I asking for too much again?





No, you're not asking too much.
But keep in mind what a speaker does for one
person might not be the same for another,
we all can only suggest, but your ears are
the final word when it comes to your likes/dislikes.
As far as a master list, you'll be better served
using the manufacturers specs for deciding
what to use. If anyone were to create
a master list, you'd still be dealing with
that persons opinions and ears,
and the type of amp used and its own
running condition. There are many vintage
amps that don't sound good, yet are the same
model and year.
I would certainly recomend the Man'O'War
over the 75 hands down.
Now, no speaker in the world is going to change
what an amp does, and the amp should be running
at its peak before blamming/changing speakers.
Its kind of like adding headers to an engine
that needs a tune up.
I've seen this happen before many times.
Food for thought.
Doug
 

aquadog

Member
Messages
1,280
Doug, I understand what your saying, and I completely agree. Thanks a lot for the recommendation- after your Man 'O war thread, it sounded like the right speaker, but it never hurts to ask, does it?:)

One last question: the G12T-75 is rated at 97 db's, while the Man 'O War is rated at 102db's. Again I have to say I'm ignorant on the topic, so how much of a volume boost do you think would be noticable? Thanks for everything Doug.
 

tonedaddy

Member
Messages
11,326
Originally posted by aquadog
Doug, I understand what your saying, and I completely agree. Thanks a lot for the recommendation- after your Man 'O war thread, it sounded like the right speaker, but it never hurts to ask, does it?:)

One last question: the G12T-75 is rated at 97 db's, while the Man 'O War is rated at 102db's. Again I have to say I'm ignorant on the topic, so how much of a volume boost do you think would be noticable? Thanks for everything Doug.
A general concept is that 1 dB is about the noticeable difference in sound intensity (for the same sound) for human hearing.

Of course, there are a lot of factors that might change that, including the frequency of the sound, and whether the sounds are soft versus loud.

So it would probably be safe to say that you should definitely notice an increase in speaker efficiency (meaning, you won't have to run your amp as high/loud with a Man 'O War for the sound level to be equivalent to what it used to be with the G12-T75).

Depending on how hard you like to push your amp (and whether or not your amp has a master volume), that is something to consider when you evaluate the SPL ratings of different speakers. For instance, if you use a NMV amp and you like to push your amp hard into power tube distortion but don't want as much volume, choosing a speaker with a lower SPL rating can give you some reduction in volume can help a little. And it's just part of the equation if you're using a MV amp or an attenuator to control volume levels.
 




Top