Eminence Red White & Blues in a LOW watt combo?

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone ever used the Red, White, & Blues with a low wattage combo? I had one in a Deluxe Reverb and liked it. However, the amp that I'm thinking of putting it in can't be more than 10 or 12 Watts. Not a loud amp at all. I love the speaker that's in it now but I'm trying to squeeze a little more volume and low end out of the amp. I know it likely won't be drastic but I don't want the speaker to sound cold either.

Thanks in advance.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Have one in a Carr Sportsman. 15 watt amp. Sounds good to me. Interestingly, along time ago, I had one in a Princeton Reverb clone and didn't love it. sounded a little dull. It doesn't in the Carr.

SW33THAND5

Low watt amp + high wattage speaker = big round bottom end! If that is what you are looking for.

Overall... matching the ohms is the main thing.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
A RWB sounded a little dull (no sparkle) in my Princeton Reverb.

rubbersoul

Silver Supporting Member
Yep! I use an RWB with a Gries Minnow and absolutely love it. It"s not a combo, I know, but I think the speaker works great with a low-watt amp.

Low watt amp + high wattage speaker = big round bottom end! If that is what you are looking for.

Overall... matching the ohms is the main thing.

vmeyer

Gold Supporting Member
+1 with the Carr Sportsman...very warm, articulate....a good match.

Trotter

The Gries 12 (Princeton Reverb clone) I owned came with a RWB as the stock speaker. In my opinion, it was a pretty flat, lifeless sounding speaker.

I switched it out with a 12" Eminence Wizard and it was a massive improvement! The Wizard is a much bigger sounding speaker.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I had the exact same experience. I would match the RWB with a bright amp of higher wattage. It never seemed to get off the ground with 12 watts. I went with the WGS G12Q in my Gries 12, and it worked perfectly. http://wgs4.com/12-g12q-20-watts
I'm sure it's a fine speaker but it's hard to make a decision on it without some specs - at least a sensitivity rating to know how efficient of a speaker it is.

Rick51

If the RWB sounds good at the volume level you want, that's the end of it. However much power it takes to produce that volume won't vary from one amp to the next.

GTRJohnny

I'm sure it's a fine speaker but it's hard to make a decision on it without some specs - at least a sensitivity rating to know how efficient of a speaker it is.
I found it a bit less sensitive than a couple of other speakers I compared it to. But, its overall response curve really lined up with the Princeton in a great way. If I were gigging with it, I might want a more efficient model to squeeze some extra db out of the amp. But, for recording, practice, or just enjoying the amp in small settings it rocks.

It's a new product, but if you contact WGS I'm sure they can hook you up with some specs. I figured the weight and price were right, so I gave it a shot. I also found all of the guys I dealt with at WGS to be super nice guys. The only way it's coming out of that amp is if I blow it up. And then, I'd put another one of the same back in.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
I found it a bit less sensitive than a couple of other speakers I compared it to. But, its overall response curve really lined up with the Princeton in a great way. If I were gigging with it, I might want a more efficient model to squeeze some extra db out of the amp. But, for recording, practice, or just enjoying the amp in small settings it rocks.

It's a new product, but if you contact WGS I'm sure they can hook you up with some specs. I figured the weight and price were right, so I gave it a shot. I also found all of the guys I dealt with at WGS to be super nice guys. The only way it's coming out of that amp is if I blow it up. And then, I'd put another one of the same back in.
I am gigging this amp - which is why I'm looking for something efficient. I find the same to be true of the guys at Eminence. Really nice, very helpful. Good people. I got two speakers from them - it took a day to get. Can't beat that.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
The best thing I did for a Retro-King 18 was replace the Eminence Red hot and blues with a Celestion G12h30. The RHB reminded me a lot of the Blue Marvel that comes with Peavey Classics. Didn't like it.

Trending Topics