Eminence speakers. Why is it.......

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Sep 25, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

That every pair I have tried so far sound like a rubberband being plunked and have no sustain? The rubberban plunking sound usually comes on around the low "C" and up to "D#". The sustain was lacking as well compared to some Celestions. I've seen this on Wizards and Tonespotters so far. It's funny how my greenbacks or a set of g12-65's didn't do this, but the Eminence did. This was emulated on multiple brands of amps, with various NOS and current manufacture tubes. What gives here?

Edit: They didn't display these characteristics untill pushed a little.

2. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Can you be more specific on the rubberband plunking sound?

I am also having a problem with a buzzing sound at the
    low C and C#.

I am not totally sure whether it's the new Eminence speaker or a vibration in the cab itself, but it's extremely annoying.

The sustain seems fine though.

Anyone else having this problem?

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

In both the Wizards and the Tonespotters there is an extra resonant bass note when the C up to D is played on the two low strings. It sounds like an octave lower with a rubber band being taught and strummed sound. It has displayed the same characteristic with three cabs and three different amps. It doesn't matter that it only happens during palm mutes or bending, it's the fact that it happens at all that miffs me.:confused:

I noticed it when playing Foghats "Stone Blue" I was walking up C# to D, when I noticed it. Celestions in the same cab doesn't do it. Scumbacks don't do it either.

4. Pentode

That sounds like whats been happening with my Wizard, although I don't have to be palm muting or bending. The amp has to be pushing the speaker fairly strong. I get this annoying as hell buzzing vibration every time I hit the C or C#.
    D does it some but not as bad. What the @#&%??? :confused:

5. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I dunno man, but Emi needs to do something else because their current crop of british clones ain't cuttin' the mustard in my opinion.

6. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

i'm using governers and manowar prototypes in both my cabs, and have been extremely pleased with them...they do sound A LOT better once broken in tho, when new than had a stiff fizziness to them

i did find some wierd resonation like you guys are talking about with some new production v30's tho, but i only noticed it with one pair in one cab (a randall xl 4x12) tried out another one and it didn't do it at all

btw...here's a clip of mine if anyone cares (sm-57 on the governer, mxl 991 condenser on the manowar) http://disvisioned.net/clips/CobraLeadQuicky.mp3

7. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

So far, I have had the the most rotten luck with the Wizards and Tonespotters than anyone I know. :(

8. jockman

jockman Member

Do all Eminence speakers have this problem?
    I ask, because I am considering a Swamp Thang for my combo.

Jon

9. BFC

BFC Supporting Member

Nothing like that with my pair of Texas Heats. Maybe it's a characteristic of the Red Coat series or some within that series?

10. Holden

Holden Guest

I've tried the Tonker, Swamp Thang, and the Texas Heat. All sounded fine with plenty of punch. Out of the three I prefer the TH for some reason.

11. tommyg

tommyg Member

Certain frequencies and a "amp/speaker mismatch" can cause the rubberband response or what many refer to as "farting out".

I experienced the same problem with Emi's Red/White/Blue speaker. Loved it - but had he same issues. You'll either need a speaker with a heavier voice coil (around 2 inches) like the Swamp Thing, Texas Heat, or Tonker.

The RWB had a 1.75 inch. I presently use Cannabis Rex speakers (also 1.75 inch) but hemp paper can take much more bass response than regular paper. So far - with some slight adjustments to my amp's bass knobs, I'm exceptionally pleased the tone of these speakers.

Hope this helps!

12. Pentode

Thanks for the info. I like the tone of the Wizard, but unfortunately in my case I think I'm going to have to pull it out and try something else. It concerns me though that HeeHaw has tried several amps and tube combinations and still got the same result. Also, the Wizard is a pretty substantial speaker, it's 75 watts and has a huge magnet. My amps only puts out 30 watts, so one would think it would be able to handle it without "farting out".

13. tommyg

tommyg Member

Pentode -

I spoke on quite a few occasions with Emi's product engineers on this topic. I don;'t think the size of the magnet has anything to do with it but the voice coil. The thicker the voice coil the more bass response it can handle. Conversely, a little top-end is sacrificed.

Depending on the music you play you may want to consider a C-Rex. With its heavy hemp paper cone it may give you the response you need plus a smooth and creamy tone that's unattainable by regular paper cones.

Lastly - if you search this website for "Tonkers" I think you'll find a lot of satisfied users!

Just trying to lay out some options for you buddy...:D

14. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

They're cutting it for many users, no need to change anything.
    I'm 100% satisfied, and so are my artist customers who are using them too.

15. tommyg

tommyg Member

Hi Doug -

Would you care to be a little more specific on your comment "They're cutting it for many users, no need to change anything"?

Thanks! :)

16. hasserl

hasserl Member

I don't know man, I think I hear some cone cry in there.

JK!!!!!! LOL!! Sounds good man, though I like to hear something a little slower with notes that ring out longer when listening to speakers.

FWIW I've had excellent results with the Tonker speakers for big clear tone with excellent power handling and no farting.

17. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

I've had a Tonker, Governor and now I run a Man-O-War... no issues once broken in and they all sounded great.

18. Boogs

Boogs Member

I've purchased and used 5 Eminence speakers:

1) Wizard
    2) Cannabis Rex
    3) Blue Tick Hound
    4) Legend 151
    5) Legend B12

I've not had a single problem with any one of them. My Redcoat, and my two Patriots, in particular, I just love. :cool:

19. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

So far the only speakers I have found that I actually like are the G12-65's, and was kind of hoping the Tonespotters would get close to that. They really do get close to the G12-65's in a big way, but have a little less sustain and are somewhat raspier. For the money, the Emi's are a great speaker, and I did dig the tones of the Wizard and the Tonespotter. They evidently just aren't the ticket for my needs. *sigh* The search continues.:dude

20. cobrahead1030

cobrahead1030 Member

http://disvisioned.net/clips/nomorecobratears.mp3

did that one in the same session, forgive my sloppiness