Eminence "Swamp Thang" 4 x 12 for Fuchs TDS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StompBoxBlues, Mar 5, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Any thoughts (if Andy reads this, would love any input. Didn't want to bug you with a PM for it though), on how a ENGL 4 x 12" 8 ohm with Eminence Swamp Thang speakers would do with a Fuchs TDS?

Or for that matter, am also looking to buy a Soldano SLO100, how it would do with that?

I play blues, rock, both single-coil and humbuckers, and sometimes use pedals sometimes not. Like to go from nice full cleans with chime, to that Warren Haynes-like OD sound, as well as all points in between.

Speakers are my weakest thing, so any suggestions, help or advice appreciated. I mention this because there is a used one up for sale, and I wouldn't be able to hear it first.
    Also I don't have my Fuchs or Soldano yet. Am currently using a Germino Classic 45, and have a Prosonic head as well, but the Prosonic will be sold soon.

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

This won't help in your quest, but I am hoping to hear some more about these speakers as well, I am wondering how they do for different styles of music too.

3. doc

doc Member

I have a Swamp Thang in a 1 X 12 combo - an old Legend RnR 100, which sounds a bit like a souped up Marshall (so probably in the same sonic family as an SLO). It sounds much better than the Celestion 80 that was there, partly because of superior bass output. I would think in a 4 X 12 cab the bass might be too much. For the style and setups you mention, I might go with Texas Heats.

4. madscientist

madscientist Member

I would advise 1 or 2 Swamp Thangs with two others (wizard or rw&b) as the bottom end is a bit much (with 4 speakers). A 1x12 is amazing with a ST though.

5. veldt666

veldt666 Member

I used to use EVM12L's with my Fuch's amps, but experimented with Tonkers & Swamp thangs over the past few years. Settled with the ST's in my Mongotone mahogany 2 X 12 c/w rear ports.
    Absolutley awsome sound. Massive low end, thick mids, & creamy top end. No need for a 4 X 12 here.
    I'm sure the solid mahogany cab helps though, because I had this set up in a normal Pine / Tolex cab, which was not so dynamic.

I wont be changing this set up.

6. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Some good suggestions here...I like the idea of a couple of them and a couple others in the cab. But I'd be buying the cab as is, I could trade out some of the 12's in it, but as far as I know it isn't ported.

I'm not stuck on the cabinet, it just seems like an okay price for it, etc.
    But if I went to ported, who makes (filled and unfilled) ported 2 by and 4 by 12's?

7. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

SWT and TDS owner. I can attest that the SWT sounds great with a Cannabis rex in a Port City wave 2x12

8. bluenote04

bluenote04 Member

I'm extremely pleased with my Allen Encore played through a RWB and ST in a 2x12 Avatar cabinet. The speakers complement each other well, and it cuts through nicely, and is louder 'n all hell.

9. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I got to play a DRRI with a C-Rex and a ST. Pretty sweet! I do miss having some speaker break-up though....does Eminence make anything like the C-Rex or Swamp Thang but lower watts (same sensitivity)?

10. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Thanks for the nod.

I haven't tried a Swamp thang with an ODS.

Speakers are like wives, guitars, girlfriends, wine, cars etc. It's tough to say what's "right " for you.

My ODS-100 has an Eminence Delta Pro-12 in it. My TDS has a 112 cab with an EV-12-L in it. Good low end, natural midrange, sparkle on the top, nice bite when you want it.

I prefer the Red,White and Blues, G12H30's (alot), EV-12-L's (if weight isn't an issue) , Lead 80's are nice. Some guys prefer the 1265 Celestion, but that tends to better match HRM amps (which we presently do not make) better.

I actually had someone order a Lead-80/EV-12-L 212 cabinet, which sounded surprisingly good. Real nice match. Our German distributor loves the G12H30's, and we A/B'ed them at the Frankfort show. I loved them with an ODS 100. We compared to the Wizard (which is claimed to be a clone of the G12H30) and it was no comparison.

Best bet is trying before you commit if at all possible.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Thanks Andy. Unfortunately, it is a lot harder here as there usually is not so many cabs in stock at the music stores as often is in the US, but this gives me some good ideas and likely candidates.

Appreciate it!