Eminence Texas Heat question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mr. Crow, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Mr. Crow

Mr. Crow Member

I'm new to the world of heads/cabs. Mostly been a combo guy.

I now have an early 70's Fender Bassman 50 head, and a 1973 Traynor YBA-1 and a 1972 Traynor YSR-1 head. I'm looking for a speaker combo that will work for all three heads. I have a 2x12 cab to put them in.

It has been suggested to me that I try Eminence Texas Heat speakers as a fairly low cost speaker. Would these work for the 3 heads, doing mostly 70's classic rock, some 60's British rock, and even my attempts at surf music?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

I think the Texas Heat would be a good all around speaker, it's listed in Eminence's Patriot Line, which is the more American voiced speakers, but it says it has a hint of British flavor. I have been thinking about getting one as well for a do it all speaker cab. Hopefully someone with some experience with the speaker will chime in.

Remember though the speaker will take time to break in and really sound it's best, so the more you can pummel it the better it will sound quicker.

3. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

My "suggestion" would to pair the Texas Heat with a Tonker. If you are in need of two speakers, that is the way I would go. We have used that combination in our '69 Twin and also in a 2x12 cabinet for our '69 Bassman 50 head. They play nice together, and can also handle your power needs. This is my opinion. I am sure you will get many others.
    Good Luck ;)

4. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

dont forget the emi red white& blues

5. edward

edward Supporting Member

I like the Texas Heat, but prefer the RWB. And I just didn't bond with the Tonker ...liked it the least among the aforementioned speakers and the Swamp Thang (which I also like, but think is better suited to a large-ish cab). So of these four, guess which I ended up keeping. Of course, all IMHO :)

Edward

6. jcs

jcs Member

i went with the texas heat because of the power handling, i needed a 1x12 to use with various 16 ohm amps.

so far out of the dozens of speakers i own the texas heat seems well balanced,very tight low end without sounding cold like an EV12L for example.

7. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I thought the TH sounded great at band volumes but wasn't too thrilled with it at livingroom volume.