Eminence Tonker-lite opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Chicago Slim, May 15, 2006.

1. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Member

Has anyone had any experience (good or bad), with the Tonkerlite speaker? I'm looking for a speaker, for a grab and go amp, that has a Vox flavor. I am also considering the Wizard and Man of War?

I play a G&L ASAT and Strat, for alternitive country. It will be used with a modeler, for AC-30 and Mesa MK III, sounds. I use the modeler because, when I play large shows, I normally use the provided Twin Reverb's. It's much simplier that way. Besides I can't afford a pair of Vox's or Badcat,s, and someone to carry them.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

For grab and go, the neo magnet speakers should be perfect, especially for your back.

A Tonker is based on a Fane, right?

It's relatively new if I'm not mistaken. I too wonder if many folks have had a chance to try it out. I'd be interested in finding out though.

3. Gries Amps

Gries Amps Supporting Member

I've had a chance to A-B them and found the sound & efficiency to be very similar. The Tonkerlite weighs seven lbs. less and, unless it's a misprint, Parts Express has the list price at $15. less than the Tonker ($85. vs. $100.)

4. hardys

hardys Member

Emi's website PDF describes it as being brighter and with less bass. Did you hear this when comparing the 2 Tonkers?

Thanks.

5. haslar

haslar Member

I own a tonker, and did not know that. Where did you get that info?

6. PB Wilson

PB Wilson Member

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

Bump for more opinions on the tonkerlite.

8. 1964

1964 Member

FWIW, all the neos I've heard are fatiguingly bright.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

www.tedweber.com

Ted Weber sells the Tonker Lite for $60.00 and the Tonker for $68.00

You get the lower price when you add the speaker to your cart.

It looks like he beats MF across the board on Eminence pricing. He's also a great guy to do business with.

I have the Tonker in my Gries 35. Real sweet speaker.

Good luck in your search.

10. aeolian

aeolian Member

I have two different cabinets with Tonkers and they don't sound anything like any Fane I've heard. More like the Celestion Mesa 90 but without the lower midrange bloat and with the highs of a G12H-30. I wonder how much bottom end thump the lite version gives up. And if it has slightly less efficient transfer characteristics. The Tonker has the least power compression of any speaker I've tried, which makes notes jump out more than other rigs. Great for some situations but makes it hard to play in others, you have to be really even with your touch. I think that "jump factor" was what made RF feel that they were too loud.

11. Matt H

Matt H Guest

just a quick head's up on pricing- conside the shipping charges (if applicable). weber and avatar both gave me a run-around with shipping charges when i asked in advance... ted was definitely *much more* straightforward than they were over at avatar though. both places are drop-shipping a lot of eminence speakers, which means it's at least 12 bucks per speaker shipping.

in my case, it was actually cheaper and less frustrating to just order from music123 because of a free shipping deal.

12. deluxemeat

deluxemeat Supporting Member

i'm curious about these. anyone find these anemic? too modern sounding? i asked eminence if theyd make a vintage voiced neo mag and they said they have to wait and see how the tonkers do...

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

He don't ship them for free like Musicians Friend or American Musical Supply though. That's $12 per speaker! Ouch!

14. KeithC

KeithC Silver Supporting Member

A regular weight speaker will run you more in the $15-$17 range for shipping through Weber.
    I like dealing with him though.Cheaper speaker price and higher shipping. Ends up being about the same.

15. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

They are only 4 pounds...I have a 2x12 cabinet with them and they sound great to me...but not like the fanes!!! Also, I have read Neodymium magnets are bright and harsh, I dont think so with this speakers...

Adios

16. deluxemeat

cool i was wondering. i'm sure any brightness can be backed off w/ an amp that has very responsive eq controls, no?

17. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

or add some bass!!!
    Adios

18. sysexguy

sysexguy Member

we just installed a pair into a CAA 2x12 and I'm very pleased with the outcome.....perhaps a little dark but the OD-100 can quickly compensate.

One can grab the cab with one hand!!!!!!

Andy

19. deluxemeat

!exactly what i like to hear!

20. danel59

danel59 Member

What amp were you using? From what I have read so far most people have said that it is brighter than the regular Tonker but I guess if that was dark as well!?!? Anyways what would you guestimate the weight of the cab w/ the 2 Tonker Lites?

Thanks

Dan