1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Eminence Tonker-Lite thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, May 23, 2011.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

I've been happily using the ceramic tonker in several amps/cabs. The regular tonker is very efficient and sounds equally good for clean jazz as it does overdriven fusion stuff.

The tonker weighs 11lbs.

I've grown tired of lugging heavy cabs around was less than satisfied with the various light weight cabs that tried. For several years I've been looking for a lightweight neodymium speaker which is not honky or midrangy like the weber, jensens, celestions and emi delta-lites I have played through.

I just received a Tonker-Lite in the mail today. It weighs 4lbs it's hard to believe that there could even be a speaker in the box which weighed more than the speaker.

I installed the tonker-lite in a 12x24x18, open back cab. I plugged my Evans head into it and was pleasantly surprised.

The good:

No honkyness at all.
    Very bright and relatively open sounding.
    very good clean
    very good overdriven.
    very good bass
    very good treble
    relatively flat midrange.
    very efficient
    sounds similar to ceramic Tonker

The bad

missing the ceramic Tonker's "magic"
    sounds good but not fabulous

More thoughts later...

2. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

maybe the magic will arrive with more play time and break-in?

3. jzucker

speaker break-in is a myth IMO

4. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

well then.....no magic for you! ;)

ur2funky likes this.
  5. wizard333

wizard333 Member

Then you must know more than the manufacturers, and must not believe in the measurable change in the damping factor of the doping.

Break in is the partial answer. The other part is that the neos dont sound exactly like the ceramics even after proper break in, so its possible that the difference between the two may leave you wanting more.

6. jzucker

yes, I do know everything as a matter of fact :D

...But seriously, I do know that my eminence ceramic tonker has not changed in tone despite a bunch of gigs at really loud volume and over 150 hours usage.

And by the way, i'm not saying doping doesn't change over time but my skepticism is directed at the automatic (or is it automagic) assumption that break-in always "improves" the sound. In 100% of the cases, this anecdotal evidence appears to be the case. I wonder why that is? :D

Maybe the same reason folks think Gaga is a great musician?!? ;)

7. SnorkelMonkey

SnorkelMonkey Member

You can chemical age the speaker. I've done this with a number of speakers and noticed an immediate difference in tone for the better imo. I'll do that and throw it up on a variac for a day and it really helps.

8. jzucker

Yes, but that's significantly different from regular breakin. Anway, back to the tonker subject!

9. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Have you tried the Emi Lil' Texas? It gets great press from most who have tried it in BF style amps. I have been tempted to buy one a few times, just to kick it around. I would love to save the weight...

10. jzucker

i have not tried the 'lil texas. I tend to find one thing and stick with it for a while. Eventually i'll try that.

11. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Well, if you do can you make a video on it? ;) I would prefer to slack through another purchase, if possible... :D

12. wizard333

wizard333 Member

Because its true? I break in everything as soon as I get it by running a rock cd with lots of punch and dynamics through it at a pretty good precent of its rated power. I do that for several days straight. You can hear it change from day to day. Its really not subtle.

In any case, I think if you don't believe in it, you are missing something that can really affect the tone of the speaker. Is that why you don't like the NEO as much? Well it might be part of it. I guarantee a speaker with 150 hours is going to sound better than an identical one that is brand new, unless you like a lot of fizz and muffled tone.

Thats probably not all of it though, Neos generally have less low mids and more high end than their ceramic counterparts. Most folks think the ceramics sound a bit better, but the trade off is the weight. The weight reduction of the Neos makes a slight tontal difference worth it for a lot of folks. I've started using them even though the price has shot way up, because the weight reduction is just...amazing. My huge 2x12 cabinet that used to be a back breaker with C.Rexes is something I can pick up and carry by myself quite easily with Neos.

13. jzucker

ok, statistically that's impossible but ok...If breaking in makes such a huge change, wouldn't it stand to reason that in 50% of the cases, the change would be for the worse?

Does breaking it in with jazz make it more mellow than breaking it in with lady gaga? ;)

14. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

I always thought that those who design speakers are designing them with the break-in in mind - like they know that they are going to loosen up, so they tune them accordingly for this future change. But, this has always been just an assumption on my part.

15. jzucker

well anyway, my ceramic tonker has always sounded the same. My guess is that the change with break-in is relatively subtle. At the point where the surround begins really breaking down you will obviously notice a big difference but at that point, we have gone way past break-in and moved into worn out.

Personally, I like the way my speakers sound when they are fresh as opposed to when they are tired.

BUT - I play predominantly clean or with violin style overdrive. If you're going for the freddie king bassman tone, you may find different results.

16. TDJMB

TDJMB Gold Supporting Member

My Tonker Lite came with my Gries 5. It's fine but the G12H30 sounds better as does the Tungsten P12. So, for low weight, the Lite will do a great job. But a heavier speaker will have more body & character. I play mostly clean.

17. jzucker

not sure if I agree that a heavier speaker will have more body/character. The weight isn't really the issue. It's the response of the magnet.

18. lakesider

lakesider Member

I've got a Tonkerlite in a Mather Cabs Pro Jr 12" pine combo cab. I really like the speaker. All speakers have their own sound. I've been able to dial the Tonkerlite in to work just fine. I do not miss the extra weight at all (NYC and it's gear moving challenges). To me the Neo's shine in a low powered amp situation.

19. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

I had a Tonkerlite which I only parted with because I needed a speaker for an amp I was selling. Sounded great and the light weight was awesome for NYC gigs!

20. Jay-Bird

Jay-Bird Senior Member

I've never heard a violin with overdrive.