1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Eminence Tonker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockon1, Jan 24, 2006.

1. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Finally tried out my first Eminence Red Coat-a Tonker. The description in their site says moderate highs but I found them plentiful-not exactly what I was looking for however its pretty well balanced. Bear in mind its not broken in yet either. Cranking it I didnt find the highs as piercing as the G12H-30 though. Now a word about sensitivity- this thing is LOUD! Its rated a 102 db which is 2 db louder than the Celestion. Evidently 2 db increase is substantial! Its easily the loudest 1x12 Ive ever heard. And it doesnt break up easily with its 150 watt rating and 2 in voice coil.Well more to be revealed as it breaks in. It may be good with the tone spotters-Tonespotters are still on the way.I also want to try the Man O War...

2. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Dont know if I got a bum one but with high gain I get a tad too much "buzz" or "sizzle" on the very top. Not there with any of my other speakers. Kind of annoying. Im gonna try it in my combo.

3. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

I' getting the same issue with my amp and I started to be suspicious on the speakers (one Cannabis Rex and one Private Jack)... I'm already contacting a seller to try one Governor...

4. Electric I

Electric I Member

Seems more often than not, these new Emis need thorough break-in time.

If I do take the plunge & try one..or two..I plan to speed up the process by cranking a stereo thru them while at work...

5. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I put it in my combo where it will be closer to the floor. In initially it sounded pretty good though I havent had a chance to mess with it to much yet. One thing is for sure it will be a loud combo. These Emi's with 102 SPL ratings art,well LOUD! And as you guys mentioned it needs some time.

6. bigroy

bigroy Member

Give the Tonespotter an audition. I liked mine well enough in a single combo cab to order a second to add to an Avatar 2x12. I like the definition and tight low end of the spotter, but it's a nice even sound, at least to these old ears.

7. dbeeman

dbeeman Gold Supporting Member

Definitely break in the tonkers.They take a while. I think you will find the high end smooths out

8. rockon1

rockon1 Member

I did. I have two of them in my Avatar 4x12 cab along with some Carvin GS12-75's. Its so far a very nice combination.

9. Shea

Shea Member

Ok, this is going to sound like a really stupid question on this forum, but I gotta know:

What do you guys do with all the speakers you end up not using?

Shea

10. Tone Loco

Tone Loco Silver Supporting Member

I hear they're a great source of fiber.
    :rolleyes:

11. bigroy

bigroy Member

I keep them in the boxes of the new speakers and when I decide what to keep and what to get rid of, I put them on eBay. Lately though, I've been keeping them. I found a pair of NOS JBL D120's, still in the box. I may never use them, but I'll never sell them....Did I just say that!? :confused:

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Keep em in their boxes. Ive got about 12 speakers in boxes at the moment....

13. Boogs

Boogs Member

Sell them, at least after getting enough (if I can use that word on this forum) cabs going to suit me.

14. aeolian

aeolian Member

The biggest thing about the Tonker is the incredible dynamics. When you hit a note hard, it just jumps out of the cabinet and grabs you by the throat. A soft note stays back. Incredible fun but very unforgiving. Every note has to be on purpose. Take everything said about unforgiving amps like Dumbles and magnify it. And Robben is using Tonkers. I've seen folks try to sit in on my Fuchs/Tonker rig and go nuts.

The Tonker is so "grab you by the lapels" that for some situations I've started looking for something less "on". Been using an EV in a couple of clubs. A friend loaned me a Tonespotter. Side by side, the Tonespotter is a bit smoother and noticiably less dynamic. More dynamic than the EV as probably as good as any normal speaker. Just that next to the Tonker, something is missing. But I ordered one and will swap it for the EV in that cabinet and use it this weekend. Hopeing it's not as congested sounding as the EV and spares me getting yelled at for being too loud. I did use the borrowed Tonespotter last weekend. And while I missed the responsivness some, I have to admit it was easier to keep under control.

BTW, I have a couple of Celestion 65s taking up space in those boxes. ;)

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yeah the Tonker and Tonespotter are worlds apart. The Tonespotter is smoother with looser bass response and less high end.Seems very undefined(easy cone break up) compared to the incredibly loud and tight tonker. Unfortunately the highs are whats jumping out at me from the Tonker. Ill have to play music thru it for a day and see if it helps. Its just about unuseable for me at the moment....:(

16. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

Okay, now I have to clean the coffee (that i spit out while laughing) off of my monitor.... :D