Eminence Wizard clip

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Leonc, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Orange Rockerverb 50 through a Bogner Shiva 1x12 with a 16 ohm Wizard that I just bought from Braciola (thank you Dominick--so far, me likes!). Les Paul with Filmores. Delay courtesy of Rocktron Replifex. 1 Shure SM57 just of center of speaker.

Wizard clip

Gain = 1:00
    Vol = 10:45
    Treb = 12:00
    Bass = 1:00
    Mid = 12:00

Was it loud? I'd bet Moods or Scumbag or Fred Taccone might have heard me...they're only about 10 minutes away. :D It was L-O-U-D.

I tried to play the notes that Rick mentioned his thread. I also tried the low E and A stuff that I think John Suhr mentioned as being a problem. This clip doesn't demonstrate any speaker problems IMO...FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH...

2. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Sounds like the Wizard is a great match for the Rockerverb!

I think I heard a ghost note at 1:18 - 1:19 :eek:

3. Leonc

It's faint but I hear what you mean..could be. But amps are the primary (only?) culprits w/rt ghost notes--not speakers. Anyway I kinda don't think it's a ghost note--it seems harmonically related to the fundamental and ghost notes don't. My other amps ghost noticably more than this in certain positions on the fretboard. I never notice ghosting live or in a normal recording with other instruments.

More to the point...I don't hear any kind of cone cry with this speaker.

4. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

Not sure what it is, but I like your tone.
    FWIW, I have gone through at least a dozen Eminence and never had a single problem.

5. wixedmords

wixedmords Member

That sounds fantastic Leonc.

I find most of the Patriots and Redcoats to be smooth speakers. I am really happy with my Governor and Ramrod.

I have a Screamin Eagle on the way to try in my Laney combo. Can't wait.

6. fakeox

fakeox Member

Sounds real good!

7. Vlad

Vlad Guest

Sounds excellent!

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Sounds much better than the Emi's I had. Better midrange as well. I certainly could live with the Wizard.

9. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

All I can say, Leon, is I could listen to you play from now to Kingdom Come. :)

10. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Leon,

What a great od tone you are gettining!

Your playing showed fullness of the Wizard.
    I love the Wizard, the Tonespotter, now I am
    using the Stonehenge... many.... it's fun.

Thank you for your clip. I am one of your fans.

Thank you so much for coming to my clinic at
    Tone Merchants last Sat.

Hope you liled my show. One triad workout
    was inspired by you!

Tomo

11. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

Great playing and tone. Wizards sound like a FINE speaker to me. Awesome thick harmonic content. :dude

12. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Big clip Leon, no flies on that tone!!:dude

13. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

I think Leons comment about amps being a major culprit in ghost notes is spot on.......too many of these guys just want to bash speaker manufacturers.........also way too many need to fully break in their speakers

disclaimer- not saying you can't get defective new speaker tho.......it does happen occasionally

14. scottl

scottl Member

AWESOME!!!

Great sweet playing too Leon!

:dude

15. spikeRI

spikeRI Supporting Member

forgot to mention the clip.............loved it and am really starting to like that amp. Might have to get that 30 watter for my daughter once shes ready for a real amp....

16. Leonc

Wow, here I was expecting guys to be picking this apart and pointing out all kinds of flaws with the sound (let alone the playing).

Tomo...man, you are too kind. You have to be one of the nicest people on this board. I really, enjoyed getting to hear you play the other night. There are not that many guys who can funk, blues and jazz it on your level. Thanks so much; and glad you thought this clip was okay.

Thank you all. I'm glad no one's identified any significant problem with the sound coming out of that speaker. I sure can't hear any problems.

17. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Ghost notes don't mean a speaker is defective.. Conecry to me DOES! And it's not caused by my amps.. just the speakers. Or at least it makes the speaker useless and yes I've had a good deal from 1 mfr that had so much conecry BRANDNEW and /or used that they were unusable. Not with my Eminence or Celestions tho or Ev's , or Fanes, or Sholz's or Jensens' or Reverends or Jbls or Oxfords or Cts or ?????? though... As for the clip, have to listen later at home. I like Oranges and I like the new Eminences and I like Leon's guitarplaying so I bet I like the clip! ERIC

18. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Ok, I'm home, heard it.. cool clip , like the changes in styles during it.. I get bored listening to the same riffs/scales and playing the same riffs/scales so I've been a much more schizophrenic guitarist as I've played longer and that was nice! Great job.. Speaker sounds great , playing sounds great, clip sounds great... what more can you ask for!? AS for whether you like this speaker more than a Greenback , a Classic 80 , an Mc90 a Reverend 1250 or whatever , that's for the person to decide themself with their cab, guitars, amps,styles,etc! Thanks for the clip
    ERIC

19. JamesPeters

JamesPeters Member

Another brief one at 0:42 - 0:43. :)

20. johnc

johnc Member

That clip sounded great to me.

It seems that I remember you being real happy with Governor speaker several months ago. How would you describe the differences between the Wizard and Governor? Are you using both speakers now?

I already have a Governor and I've been thinking about getting a Wizard. Just curious as to what to expect from the Wizard in comparison to the Governor.

Thanks for your help.