Eminence Wizard Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jzucker, Aug 10, 2005.

1. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Just wanted to put in a plug for this speaker. Though eminence lists this as an "agressive" speaker for mids and highs, it sounds wonderful for clean fender (very jangly) and jazz tones as well.

Probably the best all around eminence speaker I have heard and more versatile than any Celestion I have heard as well...

2. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

+1 Great sounding speakers!!!

3. jzucker

It's like the best of both worlds. Great cleans, great distorted tones and good power handling.

How are the 150 watt speakers by comparison?

I was originally going to get the red white and blues speaker but at the last minute saw that Andy Fuchs and Doug Roccaforte were using these so I got the Wizard instead...

4. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

I have only had the privilege of playing the Governors and the Wizards so I cannot comment on the others. IMHO for the price point, there is nothing that can touch them.

5. carltonh

carltonh Member

The Texas Heat is 150 watts. It is probably less bite, but with more fattness, slightly smoother treble, but less speaker breakup, also slightly less loud. Excellent, but I will still try others. It can accurately get sounds from SRV to Zack Wylde to Dimebag Darrell, but still great for Tweed and Marshall sounds.
    I'm waiting on Music123 to get their tails together and ship my speaker orders.

6. jzucker

The Texas Heat was 3db less efficient than the Wizard. That's pretty significant but I'm not sure if they way they derive their sensitivity ratings is valid.

7. carltonh

carltonh Member

My guess is the 3 db difference is valid.... at 1 watt. Pumping at normal volumes the difference is probably much closer in volume.

8. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

My Fuchs 1x12 combo has the Emi Wizard speaker and I'm lovin' it! Great for both clean and overdrive tones. It sounds very full and balanced in the Fuchs 1x12 enclosure.

9. jpagey

jpagey Member

I just put a 10" Ragin Cajun in my el-34 Tweed Champ "clone". The girls are asleep so I do not dare crank it, but so far it sounds real good.

10. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Just got my Wizard from Avatar for a great price,and installed in my Fuchs ODS 30 combo,and Scott L was right this thing smokes what a nice balance of tones all the highs and mids and tight lows you could ask for and when using pedals for drive it stays fairley clean till you wring it out.

11. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

FWIW, I had bad luck with a quad of Wizards. I however, am going to order a private jack for a Bogner Cube knockoff I'm building.:dude

12. scottl

scottl Member

You're welcome! I still need to try out the Tonespotter! I have a duo of 16 ohmers coming any day. Really really looking forward to it.

Scott

13. jzucker

what kind of bad luck?

14. el34power

el34power Member

FWIW. Be carefull with the P.J. I smoked one with my JCM800/2203 running on 2 tubes:(
    And i didn't like it at first but after a good break in it sounded pretty damn good so don't jump to conclusions to fast.

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I really like the pair of Tonespotters I have with the ODS. I'm tempted to try the Wizard, but it's hard to imagine it being better....it is probably louder. Probably better in the combo. I was not as happy with the Tonespotter in a 1x12 combo as in the 2x12 open back cab.

You'll have one of the first sets of 16 ohm 'spotters Scott! Anxious to hear your impressions.

16. jzucker

Freq curve of the tonespotter, private jack and wizard look very similar.

I can't imagine buying a celestion at this point though maybe I'll change my mind later.

Is it me or is break-in overrated? Mine sounds great right out of the box.

17. fullerplast

I think it's a function of the specific speaker and how heavy the cone and doping is. It's very real with a Cele Blue, but does seem less so with other Eminence speakers. Since it's a gradual thing, it's also hard to quantify accurately.....

18. Roccaforte Amps

Roccaforte Amps Member

I don't bother worrying about speaker break-in,
    I just use what gets me off. If it sounds great use it,
    that's all that matters.
    Doug

19. fullerplast

If I'm comparing two speakers, I want them both to have stabilized tonally before I can really evaluate them. Tone out of the box means very little if it changes in a month. I usually give speakers at least a month of moderate use before doing any serious comparisons. I find most speakers do change in that period of time, some more than others. JMHO.

20. ultrevex

ultrevex Member

I like to immediately get some of the edge off of any brand new speaker before I really sit down and listen critically to it. I liken it to the 'new strings' syndrome on an acoustic guitar, where the zinginess of the strings will throw out overtones that arent really there. I almost always hear upper mid raspiness from a brand new speaker, which is why I always blast them with mid level bassed out music for the better part of a day before I subject my ears to the abuse. I find that initial break-in to be critical, after that I try not to obsess over it and focus on the tones and music, rather than the speaker itself.