Eminence Wizard vs. Weber Silver bell...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teh RedWizard, Sep 16, 2008.

Pick your speaker!

1. Eminence Wizard

2. Weber Silver Bell

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Teh RedWizard

Teh RedWizard Supporting Member

For you guys who know these 2,which would you choose for what you do? Feel free to elaborate on amp,guitar,and application.I've come to the realization that the Vintage 30 in my Orange Rocker 30 combo just isn't doing it for me in the clean department,and I've narrowed my choices for a replacement down to these.I'd love to give a Cele Gold a shot,but it is way out of my price range right now.

Thanks~ :dude

2. sunkidd

sunkidd Silver Supporting Member

I have the Wizard in a '70 Deluxe Reverb and is sounds shockingly great! I was surprised at how good it sounds live and recorded...

3. Teh RedWizard

4. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

I wasn't going to post since I haven't tried The Weber but I'll post anyway. I just put a Wizard back in My Valveking. Great speaker. It seems like American voiced speakers do cleans really good but od tones aren't to My liking. The Wizard does great cleans and the way it makes The Bad Monkey sound is very pleasing.

5. Teh RedWizard

6. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

Never tried the Wizard but it gets rave reviews. I really dig the Private Jacks though.

Weber Silver Bell (50w Ceramic, Pre-Rola Doping) was somewhat of a dissapointment. But the Scumback M75-HP made by Weber tops everything I've ever tried/heard and that's saying alot.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Well I've had both and the Wizard combined with a C-Rex is a killer combo. For a 1x12 the Silver Bell Alnico is hard to beat in a Fender style amp.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

I've had both speakers in my Fargen Blackbird 30 watt and I prefer the Wizard to just about every other speaker I've tried in that amp. That includes the Scumback H75, Naylor SD50, Tone Tubby ceramic, Celestion G12H30 (2nd favorite to the Wizard), Weber Blue Dog, Jensen P12N reissue, Weber 12F150.
    The Wizard does great cleans and overdrive, fuzz, and distortion tones. The Alnico Silver Bell I had in the Fargen was very good at cleans, but it smooths out the crunch and grain in things like fuzz and distortion too much for me. I like to be able to get crunchy and hear the grain if it's there.

9. scott1568

scott1568 Member

I'm not going to vote because I haven't tried the Emi. But, I love my Silver Bell. Top end and mids are right there in my EL84 amp.

10. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

The 103db Wizard is a great choice for a small amp like my V18 to get it volume-competitive when sharing the stage with larger amps, and sound killer to boot.

11. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Anything that can make a Bad Monkey sound good must be a great piece of gear. :huh

Like all things guitar related, certain speakers sound better with certain amps. I was never impressed with very many Eminence speakers, but I do like them better than most of the Celestions. I really like the Tonker and Swamp Thang, but the C Rex was the one that got my undivided attention when I had a pair in a Red Knob Twin. :BEER

As much as I love Webers, I have noticed that they sound best in all tube amps, but not the best in amps that have solid state stuff in line. The alnicos are noticeably better than the ceramics, and the Weber ceramics are pretty good. But the Blue Dog is more tasteful than the Silver Bell, me thinks.

12. Teh RedWizard

It's back! Alright,I think I'm going to give the Weber a shot. FOR MY ORANGE...ceramic,or alnico? :huh

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Emi wizard is kind of like comparing a ford to a lexus if you will.

14. Teh RedWizard

??? :huh

15. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

My sentiments exactly. Which one is the lexus?

16. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

I like both. Wizard had cone cry, Weber has none. Silver Bell tone seems more balanced.

17. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

The AlNiCo Silver Bell from Weber is great with my Carmen Ghia.

Rick360

18. B_of_H

B_of_H Member

I think:

silver bell = lexus
    wizard = ford

my wiz has never cone cried that I can remember but I think the silver bell seems to have a more balanced sound in some applications (bass, mids, highs) Wizard having more bass and highs compared to other red coats like the governor which is more middy ala v30.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that loves the wizard cleans but then again they are pretty bright and loud so I have to cut treble and can't run my amp very hot with them.

the bell is not nearly as loud which IMO is good in most 35 to 100 watt amps but the wizard is probably best in darker and lower powered amps.

I prefer the overall versatilitly of the bell probably but not enough to vote either way.

19. skipm45

skipm45 Member

I have a pair of Alnico Sliver bells in a powerscaled 1987 clone.
    Pristine cleans and awesome grind.

Skip
    www.skipzcircuits.com

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

What makes the Silver Bell a Lexus? Both are made well! Also, what is cone cry???

Which would be better for a 50 watt Egnater head? The Eminence Wizards or the Blue Dog/Silver Bell pair?