Emma ReesaFRATzitz opinions?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JC-Tonequest, Jan 13, 2006.

1. JC-Tonequest

JC-Tonequest Member

Anyone have or had one of these and what are you opinions of it?

2. aquadog

aquadog Member

do a search. quite a few threads on it

3. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I had one for testing couple of weeks ago, didnt buy it. It sounded good, even very good but I just didnt like how it effected the low end of my sound.

First time I turned on the pedal I was like "WOW! I'm buying!!". But then after a little while the pedal started to sound a bit processed to my ears. It had this weird bass boost that came with the sound, it was a strange ooooomph, like a note that you could sing. It's hard to explain, but it was really uninvited.. My amp has this great natural bottom end which I'm very fond of so I dont feel the need for any additional boost. Might work better with a thinner sounding amp though!

I didnt try it with the band, but I compared with a Catalinbread SCOD. They share some qualities but do sound different. I think that the SCOD isnt perfect either, there's some other eq thing going on there that I dont love that much, but the SCOD works really well for some things.

The bias knob on the Emma is kind of cool, bit of like the contour knob on the SCOD.

4. HBob

HBob Member

I have one and really like it for the high gain sounds. The lower gain sounds are also good but the high gain is really nice and it's quiet. The pedal also stacks well.

5. Lution

Lution Member

I found that exact same woofyness on the Reeza that you did. Caused me to pass on it. It did sound very good, but that low could not be dialed out.

6. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

I find you can dial out that 'woofiness' by turning the bias knob counterclockwise and compensating with an increase in the level the further you go. More focused and without the woof (if you didn't like it). This little Reeza has outlasted a lot of OD's on my board...

-Ben

7. Lution

Lution Member

I still have it. Haven't returned it to MF yet. I'll give that a try thanks. :AOK

8. Baby Evil

Baby Evil Member

I have it since early this week, and I love it. It works great with my Fender amps, the huge lowend, gain and voicing of the pedal turn the Fenders into modern higain monsters, which was the plan.
    I tried a Maxon ROD881 earlier, and that went out in a week; Tonebone classic was good, but too smooth sounding. I have an OCD, and that's an entirely different beast which works well with the Reeza. Wouldn't mind trying the SCOD though.
    I have posted some clips, you can do a search for'm if you like.

Jan

9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

It might be just so that the amp has a big role if the bottom end the Emma provides is a good thing or a bad thing. I didnt seem to get rid of the woofiness, but it might be possible with the controls as Ben C stated.. On the other hand I wouldnt want to turn the bias knob counterclockwise cause I liked the "el84" type tones better.

With a Fender amp the Emma might be a perfect beast.. Try a SCOD too, it's a very nice pedal, but it has also some eq issues which I'm not that fond of. In the SCOD the slight problem for me is in the high end and in the high mids.. Sounds great though with the band..

10. Rid

Rid Senior Member

so what is the problem then??
    Hehe that is trouble with alot of stuff, it is not always supposed to be nice and smooth, dark and controlled.
    Woofyness to some, marshall like to others, I like a big bottomend, but then I am used to play with it, it does not ruin anything for me, as I am used to control it, because it give a whole other sound than those thinner crisper or more middy ts style sounds.

11. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I like a big bottom end as well, but the woofiness that came with the Emma with my setup was really not nice at all..

The problem with the SCOD for me is the rhythm sounds. It sounds always great for leads, but the rhythm sounds arent perfect, they are good though. For leads the eq curve is great, it cuts thru the mix very well and is very fun to play. The rhythm sound gets somewhat clouded, and maybe farty, the higher mid frequencies somehow "get stuck". it's really hard to explain.

I'm not a bedroom player.. I only get to play thru my amp at the training place and then it's always cranked. So I got to test the Emma at real volumes but didnt play it with the band. SCOD changes my sound a bit too much, but it has a great fun factor to it.

I've become really picky with pedals. The Emma was really a great pedal, but as I'm very happy with my sound with just the guitar(s) and the amp, the pedal cant be the weakest link in the chain.. Hot Cakes work really well and Lovepedal COT50 is great as well, although it is not transparent at all. Unlike the SCOD and Emma the COT just gives something extra that works really well for me. Then again the frequencies the Emma introduces might me god sent for others and so on.. I can imagine a Fender amp with the Emma could be heaven.

It's great we have different options 'cause everyones needs and tastes are different. Also the band you play playes a huge part in what you can use. If you're the only guitarist, then you might need something totally else than if you have another guitarist and maybe even a keyboard player playing with you (my situation).. And think about the dudes who play with horn sections and so on. It's great to have this variety of different pedals available!

12. Guy from Idaho

Guy from Idaho Member

I really dig the Emma with my Germino Lead55, Rocktop 45, and Whitney Penta66 (all set up with EL34s). Mine doesn't woof at all, it's about the closest thing to a HP Rockin the Fillmore sound that I've found. Lovepedal COT 50 is very cool too, but adds too much volume to be gig-friendly for me. -Guy