Emma ReezaFratZitz ... need more gain!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BluesHarp, Mar 4, 2008.

1. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Great pedal... is there a pedal out there that has more gain but doesnt sound thrashabrittlemetalish?

How is the new Zvex Box Of Metal doing these days? Does it have more gain? I think the gate idea is pretty good considering the high gains. But... its probably... "metalish" so...

The BJFE Red and CMAT MODS Brownie are on my hit list.

2. Jack

Jack Member

Mi Audio Crunchbox is less tame sounding to me than the Reeza, but still in that Marshall ballpark.

I owned Box of Metal, and it is amazing for a super high gain device, but is less "realistic" or amp like to me than the Crunchbox or Reeza. Like a lot of zvex, it's not imitating something-it is the thing in itself.

3. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Just pulled the trigger on the brownie. It was the cheaper of the 2, lol. I dont know if this has more gain than the frexatritzahatz but the EVH sound is very convincing...

4. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

I know... but still... :dude ..its close though...

5. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

I don't think the DRD has any more gain than your Reeza (probably less), although I am only judging the Reeza from clips I have heard. The DRD does the moderate-high gain thing very well, and stays clean and quiet through it all. Very quiet pedal, in fact quieter than its brother the BBOD.

6. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Anybody know of a non metal pedal with more gain than the emma?

7. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I couldn't agree more. I can barely turn the gain on my Reeza past 10 o'clock (around 4 in a scale of 1 to 10). I do love that warm fat tone of my Reeza.

8. 4styx

4styx Member

Indyguitarist Pinacle 2.

9. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

The Reeza is a great pedal. It has a ton of gain so much so that it starts to break up when you have the gain on full. If you're really looking for a pedal that is voiced similar but has more gain...well the DNA Gain Fxxker II is really great...it's not really metal voiced like you would think. I found it similar to the Reeza but with a lot more gain available. I also liked the DNA pedal better than the Box of Metal which to me just sounded like a big muff.

10. odd

odd Member

If you search the reeza here, you'll see it described as warm and fat, thin and fizzy, not enough gain, too much gain. I'm a bit confused.

11. KBN

KBN Member

I find it to be very, very particular about the rest of the guitar rig. I didn't at all like it with a blackface bassman that was running into a fender 2x12 with Weber 12F150Ts in it. Too much bass and had a fizzy top end. That same bassman running into an avatar 2x12 with Celestion GK100s and it sounded quite good. A Reeves Custom 50 running into an early 90s Marshall 1960a with both G12T75s and V30s worked nicely, but was pretty bright so I had the tone rolled almost all the way off. A new production 1960a with G12T75s was nearly unusable. Thin and fizzy. Speakers probably were not broken in so take that for what it is worth. Running the Reeves into an early 70s Ampeg V4 4x12 with G12T75s is thick and fat and wonderful. Go figure. I could go on and on about how it sounded with different amp and cab combinations and my descriptions could go from bad to amazing. I guess it is just picky about variables. Just take note of the rest of the rig when people describe the Reeza (or any overdrive for that matter...)

12. storm319

storm319 Member

I think both the BJFE or Brownie (or BSIAB rather) have less gain than the Emma. I would take a look at the Barber Dirty Bomb.