1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Employee Built PRS?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jeroen, May 8, 2005.

1. Jeroen

Jeroen Guest

I have a guy offering me a PRS EG, custom built by an ex-employee... 10 top, alder body, maple/rosewood neck, HFS in the bridge,Seymour duncan single middle and zebra SD '59 PAF in the neck.

What do you think about this guitar, and most important, what should it be worth?

[​IMG]

2. pugsfly

pugsfly Member

If the price is good, why not? :D

It looks great.

3. Jeroen

Jeroen Guest

That's my problem... What's a good price... I don't know anything about the worth of such a guitar.

4. pugsfly

pugsfly Member

Probably not much, since the last two p/u were not original PRS, furthermore the top looks like its a three piece.

I'm not expert here. They are more gurus here :D

Anyway, think it'll probably be more a "player" guitar than a "collector" guitar.

If you really like it, and you think the price is good, then go ahead. Who knows just what might happen 10 years from now..

5. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

EG 10 tops were pretty much all 3 pieces. :(

That's about all I can contribute on the matter. The real PRS experts tend to hang out on Birds & Moons.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Based on what I've seen in the past, PRS employee guitars sell for less than similar factory models, even though they can have better wood selection, unique finishes and options.

7. JMintzer

JMintzer Burned Out Mod

I've seen the exact opposite. Many of the employee guitars border on the Private Stocks. Many go for much more than their production counterparts. As for this particular guitr... I dunno'. I'm not really up on those models...

Jamie

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Can he prove its an employee made guitar? Does it have paperwork that can prove its worth? Otherwise its a really nice axe that would be great to own at reg. used prices............:cool:

9. alpep

alpep Member

I knew a guy working out of philly that was an ex PRS employee. He stockpiled a bunch of parts from there before he left.

when he was desperate for $$$ he completed a guitar and slapped a logo he lifted onto the headstock.

He then took it to the philly guitar show and sold it to George Gruhn, looks like it must have been pretty good.

George sent it to Paul for verification and well that's when all the legal stuff started.

I have not seen the guy for 10 years now last I heard he was headed back to Detroit and then the left coast. Damn good luthier, but a little on the insane side. His pic is in the PRS book so I knew all his stories were true.

10. Jeroen

Jeroen Guest

Coming back to the guitar I showed you, the seller want 1250 euros for it. Seems a bit too much for me...

11. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

I bought them used. Production models from '91 and '93. You shouldn't have to pay more than $975.00 for them. Ideally $900.00. That's the current used market price range these days.

12. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Yup, $900 sounds about right. PRS prices are inflated in Europe, it seems. You'd come out ahead if you found a dealer in the US. Someone is making a healthy profit at 1250 euros.

13. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Looking at the photos, I'd say that guitar is better than your average $900 EG. If it is an employee guitar (and I would say it probably is from the photos) they do snag some of the nicer wood. It's your money, but I think it's worth a premium, between the wood and the pickup upgrades.