Employer buying me any gear I want! Help!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by randy morser, Feb 9, 2006.

1. randy morser

randy morser Member

I'd like to use the Gear Page right now for what it's REALLY good for... utilizing it's experienced members expertise. So here 'goes:
    My road-band managers have finally agreed to buy me whatever gear I want. I am buiding a pedal-board from scratch and have 2 (or three) D13s going through the approval process. Here's the catch... I can't buy any used gear. It all has to be new. My employer will not buy used gear (don't ask... it's complicated.) So. I have a few questions... I play all styles. The band is a decades cover band. I used an LP, 335, super 400, Strat, Tele, and PRS. We cover swing all the way through Linkin Park and Puff Daddy. We really do cover everything in between. Why don't I know this already? I was only a jazz player until I landed this gig and don't "know it all" yet.
    So tell me:

Distortion pedals: Keeley or Analogman?

I need a few levels of OD including SRV through Metallica.

Analogman looks like the best so far for chorus and compression, but I'm open to enlightenment...

I need a delay pedal with at least 2 setting to access at once but I don't want to use line-6 any more.

I need reverb.

I need a way to buffer against true-bypass signal degradation.

I'm not smart enough to manage a really complicated set-up.

I've been told that they can't afford Pete Cornish

Can 'yall help me out with some advice? I could really use the advice from some senior members who have really done a lot of homework and actually played a lot of gear.
    Thanks,
    Randy
    RandyMorser@aol.com

2. bluesbreaker59

bluesbreaker59 Silver Supporting Member

Well let me start it off

For OD's I would suggest the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, its quite versatile with its 3 way toggle switch and has a very nice voicing, plus is very versatile. I also enjoy the Crowther Hotcakes, for lighter OD tone, and hell since someone else is paying, BUY A KLON...

Reverb, buy a Victoria Reverbarato unit, has Blackface reverb and Brownface trem in one box and is all tube. At $1500 its a bit steep but if they said anything, then this is my suggestion, as its the BEST. An Electro Harmonix holy grail is a cheaper option at $99 if $1500 is too much, its really a nice little pedal. You could also get a Fender RI reverb tank. I prefer tube reverb, but the holy grail is really nice.

For delay, you might want to look at Mike Fuller's Tube Tape Echoplex. If you could go used I would suggest a Maestro Echoplex EP-3, they're great if they're properly serviced.

I've played piles and piles and piles of gear, these are my suggestions, from lots of experience with vintage, boutique and even "off the shelf" stuff.

Also if you're looking at building a huge pedal board with delays, choruses and reverbs you may want to look into some loopers.

3. Craise

Craise Member

BJF Honey Bee (fender tweedy sounds)
    BJF Dyna Red (marshall)
    BJF EGDM (Vox)
    Tim overdrive
    Retroman Sybil Fuzz
    Keeley Compressor
    Red Witch Phaser
    Foxrox Tzf Flanger
    Peterson Strobostomp tuner
    Teese RMC3 Wah
    Fulltone Echo TTE
    Echoczar Delay

That should just about cover it !
    ;)

4. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

I had a gig much like the one you have now. Our book had at least 1500 tunes in it and we could play just about any gig.

I kept it simple as possible.

Ods were Hotcake, Fulldrive2, 808 RI Analogman, Xotic BB and AC.
    Distortion.....Tonebone Hot British, Keeley DS1 ultra, Some sort of Fuzz, (I was always changing that out)
    Clean Boosts, Xotic RC, Hotcake, Luxury Drive.

Swirly stuff, Arion SCH1, Dunlop vibe (I hated that thing), MXR VH phaser.

Delays, Line 6....used in a parallel effects loop

Thats it.
    Not the best but good enough!:cool:

5. randy morser

randy morser Member

Does the Zendrive fit in there anywhere? Has anyone AB'ed the Analogman and Keely DS-1's? Which one is better? What about the bicomp mini vs. the keeley comp. Keeley said that he suggested running his comp before the od/dist boxes. that sounds strange to me. the bi-comp sounds versatile, but is it as effective as the keeley? Thanks for all the input. Keep it coming. I'm getting some good ideas.

6. UnderTheGroove

UnderTheGroove Supporting Member

I think a great combo for versatile overdrive options would be a Menatone Fish Factory and a Tonebone Tri-Tone. Almost like 4 great pedals for the price of 2.

Analogman would be a good choice for chorus and compression. You could also check out the Barber Tone Press.

I'm not sure about reverb and delay (what don't you like about the Line6?).

For a buffer you could check out the VHT Valvulator.

Another important aspect is the board itself. I really like my NGM pedalboard. It offers good protection for the pedals and allows for really fast and easy setup.

7. Play by Tone

Play by Tone Member

The D13's have excellent reverb, so don't bother buying something else. You can footswitch it on the back (at least on the FTR-37)

I'm having great luck with the Xotic BB Preamp, goes from clean to a very modern distortion, smooth, but big sounding, marshally in the low end.

Analogman chorus with the 3way depth switch will do a lot.

The BJF pedals are a good recommendation. Use the SBEQ and that will help buffer. Or buy that new Morning Dew EQ. I have a Cornish pedal to buffer, and that sounds excellent. Really does. But you know what, you can get an Axess BS2 buffer for $130 and that is excellent too.

So how about this:

Reverb - use the amp.

Wah - go RMC if you need one.

Compression - Had the BiComp, my opinion the BJF PGC works much better with these amps.

OD/Dist - Use the BJF versions, Xotic BB Preamp

Chorus - Clone Chorus with 3 way depth toggle

Buffer - Axess Electronics BS2 (If you can't afford Cornish this is the next best thing trust me)

Delay - I guess you're looking at a Boss DD-20 if you don't want to do a DL-4 or two Echo Parks. Unless a DLS Echotap will work (has a fixed time and a tappable time)

Have Redco audio make you a snake for all of this.

I'd say thats a pretty simple board to put together, and everything on it will be top notch.

8. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

Hey man,

What kinda compression do you want? Chicken pickin countrified or just something to clean up your playing? For transparent cleaning up of your playing, the Diamond Compressor is the best compressor out there, bar none. For versatile comp (transparent up to squishy), you can check out the Barber Tone Press.

For distortion, +1 on the tonebone tri-mode. This will take care of your boost needs as well ;)

[edit] I just realized that you may need to boost your clean tone sometimes as well. If you're not going to use your compressor for that (which is a good idea), I'd recommend the Catalinbread Super Chile Picoso as a dedicated boost pedal www.catalinbread.com [/edit]

For OD, I'd recommend a TC Jauernig Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator. Does low to medium gain and has a toggle switch to switch between different types of overdrives. Very versatile, can get you sounding like SRV but many others as well.

Analogman has a great chorus. Another option would be the retrosonic chorus ensemble, which is a Boss CE-1 (the standard by which all choruses are judged) clone but with higher quality components and true bypass.

For a buffer, +1 on the axess electronics BS-2

Delay, you will love, LOVE, the boss DD-20.

Don't know much about reverb, but people are happy with the EHX offerings as well as the boss RV-5.

You may also want to invest in a multi power supply unit (I recommend the voodoo labs PP2+) and good patch cables (recommend lava cables www.lavacable.com). Finally, check out a true bypass looper (www.loooper.com www.pacificustompedals.com). Seeing as the sky's the limit, get one that you can hook up each of your effects into individual loops (except your buffer).

Oh, and you didn't mention this, but GET A PETERSON STROBOSTOMP!!!!

9. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

10. randy morser

randy morser Member

11. randy morser

randy morser Member

I want compression for chicken pickin' as well as to get a good, saturated lead sound for the modern solos a la via and such. which one will do it?

12. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'd stick w/pedals by known and easily available manufacturers - that way if you're in the middle of nowhere and something breaks, you can get a replacement and just pop it in. I'm sure that's why you see tons of Boss and Line 6 stuff in touring bands racks. You'd be nuts to take a tape echo on the road, unless you had a spare and a fulltime guitar tech.

For a situation like yours, I'd also look at getting something like a GCX or Bradshaw switcher, and racking all the pedals. If you're playing that wide a range of material, you're not going to be able to stomp on 3-4 pedals, between the verse/chorus of some of those songs. Even if you could, you'll get tired of it quickly. W/a sturdy rack and a floorboard, you can have 8-10 presets at instant access which would probably cover anything you needed. It would also be WAY less prone to breakdown, and much easier to setup - AC, one cord in and one cord out to the amp.

Good luck,

Loudboy

13. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Nothing boutique. Definately stuff you can pick up at a Guitar Center while you're on the road. Save the handwired stuff for the studio.

14. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

Who's your Boss?

Mrs. Robinson?

:)

Jet

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

There's at least two other important questions:
    1. How much real-estate can you take up (we're talking some pretty massive boards here).
    2. How are you going to switch them in/out
    The best solution for setup and space considerations would be to rack it all with a Bradshaw or Axess rig. Expensive but very slick. Failing that, I think a programmable looper would be critical-something like the Carl Martin one?
    Using amp based reverb is a killer idea-small units and pedals just can't compete. Here's how I'd do a cost is no object board:
    1. OD-Klon (also an excellent input buffer, Zim
    2. Distortion-Barber Burn Unit EQ
    3. Fuzz-Analogman Sunface, Big Muff Pi
    4. Wah-Teese RMC3
    5. Volume-Ernie Ball
    6. Chorus-Analogman, TC TCF
    7. Flanger-TZF
    8. Phaser-Phase 90, Small Stone
    9. Delay-Diamond Memory Lane
    10. Tremelo-Guyatone Tube Flip
    11. Rotary Speaker-Foxrox CC2 (also give you octave and another fuzz)
    12. Wierd stuff-MF Low Pass Filter and Murf, Zvex LoFi, Machine and Seektrem, Loop Recorder (Boss RC20XL?)

Of course, if their pockets are REALLY deep, an Eventide Orville would cover a lot of the time based things REALLY nicely, including multiple delay times and all the time based effects. Come to think of it, a used Orville would probably be cheaper than all the time based effects above...

16. randy morser

randy morser Member

I cofess that I am a little intimidated by the programmable, switching, rack things. I'm just not educated about that stuff. I do a lot of pedal dancing now and ride the volume pedal a lot. It's not that I can't learn, but that it just seems like I'd need a tech to run it all. We do not have roadies, either.

17. randy morser

randy morser Member

morning bump for more advice.

18. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

This is kind of like asking who makes the best steak.

As far as the BB Preamp, it does more than any pedal I've heard in a while. It and a Timmy would cover a lot of ground.

I really like my Keeley comp but I also like my AYA and my Analogman modded Dyna Comp.

Why not get Daddy Warbucks to buy more than one of each? A good way to do that is convince him you need backups.

As far as avolume pedal, the low Z Boss after the overdrives is far better than an eball, doesn't suck the highs out as much and has a master volume adjustment.

19. randy morser

randy morser Member

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I put it after the drives. I'll be able to back the drive off mid-note if I put it before. Why put it after them?

20. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

Get Evidence Audio cable to wire eveything up.