Emporium guys: no need to be rude...

james...

Supporting Member
Seriously, have some level of class if you're buying/selling. The rudeness and name calling isn't needed.

If you don't have my money in your Paypal, I haven't "committed to buying" your item. Just because I messaged you saying I'd like to buy it, and then someone else with the same item messaged me back before you did, doesn't mean you get to chew me out.
I get that you might be annoyed, but ugliness isn't helping anyone.

Hell, I've probably had my share of bad communication in deals before, but that doesn't mean you need to be a jerk. If you de-listed your item just because I said I was interested, that's your problem. If I'm selling something, I don't take it down until I've got the cash in my account.

Stay cool, people.

Traintrack

Where is the Talent?
Silver Supporting Member
I am fully convinced that 99% of people who ask a set of questions about an item are drunk and have no idea why they are even asking questions. When you reply with details, they ghost. I understand what you need to deal with when selling gear, but it is always amazing....

dB

Did you say you were interested in buying it, or did you do the “I’d like to buy it, please send you PayPal info”?

I agree that until the money hits my account the item is still for sale, but I can see why one might be annoyed with you. Still no reason to get nasty, though...it’s just some silly guitar gear.

Emigre

Which one is the buyer....the first one who says they want it
or
the first one to pony up the money.:dunno

When I selling, it still for sale until the payment is made and I don't pull the listing until it's sold.
+1. If a buyer hasn’t committed money, they are legally free to walk away. Which means: they are free to walk away.

Taking your item down before the cheque clears is just wishful thinking.

Emigre

Which one is the buyer....the first one who says they want it
or
the first one to pony up the money.:dunno

When I selling, it still for sale until the payment is made and I don't pull the listing until it's sold.
Actually my system is a bit of both. If user 1 has said they will buy it, and I have agreed, and user 2 comes calling, I just say sorry, another user has said they will buy it, but if the deal falls through you’ll be the first to know.

I honour the first buyer even if the second offers more money.

If the first buyer walks away, no hard feelings. There’s f-all I can do, so no point getting upset about it.

shredtrash

Silver Supporting Member
Supporting Member
This 100%.

Actually my system is a bit of both. If user 1 has said they will buy it, and I have agreed, and user 2 comes calling, I just say sorry, another user has said they will buy it, but if the deal falls through you’ll be the first to know.

I honour the first buyer even if the second offers more money.

If the first buyer walks away, no hard feelings. There’s f-all I can do, so no point getting upset about it.

PRW

I've bought a couple of items on the Emporium, asked questions about others I've never pulled the trigger on.

But this isn't rocket science people ... until the words "I want it" or some other definitive collection of vowels and consonants have been spoken, and you have been shown the money, there is no deal/commitment. I think that's pretty much true in any buy/sell transaction on this planet. If you're naive enough to think that expressing interest is a commitment to buy, the fallout is on you.

But also, people just shouldn't be A-holes, period.

Devnor

If you don't have my money in your Paypal, I haven't "committed to buying" your item. Just because I messaged you saying I'd like to buy it, and then someone else with the same item messaged me back before you did
True dat, as a seller nothing is bought until funds are in paypal. Also as a seller I would not appreciate being told you're buying then back out. When you say "I would like to buy..." there is a certain expectation that the seller isn't going to sell to someone else. You'd be pissed if the seller went another route. We've had threads on that subject. You must be clear anything less than "what is your paypal I'm sending funds" then following thru is still kicking the tires.

stratotastic

Perhaps a change in verbiage. "I am interested in your item" may be more appropriate than " I would like to buy your item" if you have not 100% committed yourself to buying said item.
"I would like" expresses a desire, not a commitment. Same with "I want to." So many people gloss over details and just see what they want to see. Words and their meanings are important.

Kriso77

Supporting Member
"I would like" expresses a desire, not a commitment. Same with "I want to." So many people gloss over details and just see what they want to see. Words and their meanings are important.
It depends on the supporting context. "I would like to buy, but I have additional questions" can be much different than " I want to buy from you so please send me your paypal info."

Trending Topics