Emporium guys: no need to be rude...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by james..., Mar 1, 2019.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

Seriously, have some level of class if you're buying/selling. The rudeness and name calling isn't needed.

If you don't have my money in your Paypal, I haven't "committed to buying" your item. Just because I messaged you saying I'd like to buy it, and then someone else with the same item messaged me back before you did, doesn't mean you get to chew me out.
    I get that you might be annoyed, but ugliness isn't helping anyone.

Hell, I've probably had my share of bad communication in deals before, but that doesn't mean you need to be a jerk. If you de-listed your item just because I said I was interested, that's your problem. If I'm selling something, I don't take it down until I've got the cash in my account.

Stay cool, people.

BobbyRay, guff, Pixies2005 and 24 others like this.
  2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

I suspect you are going to get a bunch of guys that disagree with you. Some people believe a man is only as good as his word.

lowyaw, guff, RolandKorg and 60 others like this.
  3. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

Lol telling someone you’re going to buy something from them and reneging is lame.

lowyaw, guff, RolandKorg and 90 others like this.
  4. DGA

DGA Member

If you said you are buying it, then you bought it. I've had jokers pull this crap on me on Reverb and it's not cool.

5. Traintrack

Traintrack Coolest Member Award Aug 2009 Silver Supporting Member

I am fully convinced that 99% of people who ask a set of questions about an item are drunk and have no idea why they are even asking questions. When you reply with details, they ghost. I understand what you need to deal with when selling gear, but it is always amazing....

6. dB

dB Member

Did you say you were interested in buying it, or did you do the “I’d like to buy it, please send you PayPal info”?

I agree that until the money hits my account the item is still for sale, but I can see why one might be annoyed with you. Still no reason to get nasty, though...it’s just some silly guitar gear.

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Which one is the buyer....the first one who says they want it
    or
    the first one to pony up the money.:dunno

When I selling, it still for sale until the payment is made and I don't pull the listing until it's sold.

8. Emigre

Emigre Member

+1. If a buyer hasn’t committed money, they are legally free to walk away. Which means: they are free to walk away.

Taking your item down before the cheque clears is just wishful thinking.

9. Emigre

Emigre Member

Actually my system is a bit of both. If user 1 has said they will buy it, and I have agreed, and user 2 comes calling, I just say sorry, another user has said they will buy it, but if the deal falls through you’ll be the first to know.

I honour the first buyer even if the second offers more money.

If the first buyer walks away, no hard feelings. There’s f-all I can do, so no point getting upset about it.

BobbyRay, guff, RolandKorg and 34 others like this.
  10. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

This 100%.

11. PRW

PRW Member

I've bought a couple of items on the Emporium, asked questions about others I've never pulled the trigger on.

But this isn't rocket science people ... until the words "I want it" or some other definitive collection of vowels and consonants have been spoken, and you have been shown the money, there is no deal/commitment. I think that's pretty much true in any buy/sell transaction on this planet. If you're naive enough to think that expressing interest is a commitment to buy, the fallout is on you.

But also, people just shouldn't be A-holes, period.

12. Emigre

Emigre Member

The ladies can walk away at anytime prior to the altar. Until wedding rings are firmly on, all bets are off.

13. Emigre

Emigre Member

Nope. Lawyers get involved at that point. Not getting away so easy.

stanandchet likes this.
  14. Kriso77

Kriso77 Supporting Member

Perhaps a change in verbiage. "I am interested in your item" may be more appropriate than " I would like to buy your item" if you have not 100% committed yourself to buying said item.

15. Devnor

Devnor Member

True dat, as a seller nothing is bought until funds are in paypal. Also as a seller I would not appreciate being told you're buying then back out. When you say "I would like to buy..." there is a certain expectation that the seller isn't going to sell to someone else. You'd be pissed if the seller went another route. We've had threads on that subject. You must be clear anything less than "what is your paypal I'm sending funds" then following thru is still kicking the tires.

Stike, Yam the BOMB, Hawking and 2 others like this.
  16. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

If you want to purchase something, private party, where everyone knows how it is done, I would think you’d be ready to pay within say a minute of offering. I can also see how some folks might get crabby with a nonresponsive seller, fielding offers with silence.

17. stratotastic

stratotastic Member

"I would like" expresses a desire, not a commitment. Same with "I want to." So many people gloss over details and just see what they want to see. Words and their meanings are important.

Pixies2005 and el capitan like this.
  18. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

That’s a distinction without a difference. Unless you actually want to buy the item, don’t say you want to buy the item.

19. take1carry1

take1carry1 Supporting Member

Note to self-
    Don't sell anything to James..........

20. Kriso77

Kriso77 Supporting Member

It depends on the supporting context. "I would like to buy, but I have additional questions" can be much different than " I want to buy from you so please send me your paypal info."