Emporium guys: no need to be rude...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by james..., Mar 1, 2019.

1. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

This

chunky48, el capitan and rhinocaster like this.
  2. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

“Well, yes, I promised... but did I swear???“

3. FusionRock

FusionRock Member

I would have said, "I have some questions about your listing."

However, did you tell them later you declined or did you just stop all communication?

4. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

That's pretty much what I do. I may mutter obscenities to myself if someone says they'll take it and then they ghost me, but I won't send any nastygrams.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    rhumbob, Emigre and Zappatalist like this.
  5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

If you aren't ready to buy, don't tell someone you want to purchase their item - plain and simple.

6. Kevy_Metal

Kevy_Metal Member

Just had this happen. Got asked a question, gave them the answers plus a link... and nothing.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  7. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

I agree manners are slipping in the emporium, at the same time though some people really don't put crucial info about pickups and radius and fret wear into the ads.

If you don't like questions take more clear pictures and list specs.

Daren Anderson and Zappatalist like this.
  8. goddot

goddot Member

I'm selling something right now.. I realize most folks that are asking questions have no intention on buying it.. its cool, I enjoy talking to people about amps. The guys who are serious normally say the following: "I'll take it, send me your paypal addy" not a lot of fuss or fanfare.. That's what I do anyway!

9. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

This.

[​IMG]

beanbass likes this.
  10. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

[​IMG]

mvsr990, bsuite, grapeshot and 5 others like this.
  11. dansworld

dansworld Member

When somebody says "OK, I'll buy it." I then request their PP and send an invoice. This is the only way i do business. If there is a sudden hardship, I'll cancel the sale. But bidding my price against a seller of the same thing even though there is an expectation you were going to buy from me is uncool.

mad dog, John Hurtt and Zappatalist like this.
  12. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

If I’m the seller and someone here on TGP says they’ll take it, I change my listing to “pending” and wait for payment. Once payment comes I change it to sold but I never delete listings. You never know if people return something or whatever so I’d rather not have to recreate the thread.

13. Musicroom

Musicroom Member

I'm in the boat of you talking with me about my for sale item and then telling me you want to buy it - I would believe you and I would consider it sold. For him to go ghost after that statement would not set well with me either. I do agree with the OP that he should not have been publicly ridiculed. But I wouldn't do business with the OP knowing how he mislead that seller.

Pixies2005, mad dog and John Hurtt like this.
  14. Hallogallo

Hallogallo Member

So you were pissed he wouldn't break the Paypal User Agreement, and remove all protections for himself during the sale, and you think he did something wrong?!?!?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  15. japanmoran

japanmoran Member

I am upfront when i am selling - i will not "hold" an item if you say you want it unless you put down a deposit of some sort. Had a local deal get ugly with a buyer who was good with communication but came to check out the item without money in hand. Ok...so they promise me that next weekend they will have the money. I am clear that nothing is for certain if another buyer comes along.

Had to tell them today that I was sorry but someone else with cash in hand bought it.

"Oh that was such a dick move...we had a deal!" .... um, no we didn't.

Pixies2005, beanbass, Machew and 6 others like this.
  16. s2y

s2y Member

Would you take 25% of your asking price? If so, I might be interested.

beanbass and Zappatalist like this.
  17. nbessie1

nbessie1 Gold Supporting Member

The guy I have a problem with (if I'm understanding all this correctly), is the other seller who saw the "'I'd like to buy it" message on the FS thread, had a similar item they were trying to sell and immediately offered their item to the buyer...jumping inside the other seller's deal uninvited and blowing it up...a nasty and very sketchy thing to do!

chunky48, beanbass, Jay K and 4 others like this.
  18. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Interested doesn't mean gonna buy!
    I get that this can be aggravating to a seller, lord knows I've had it happen (and way worse on eBay)! The reality is it ain't sold till money changes hands period!

Pixies2005, japanmoran and Emigre like this.
  19. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

If I PM someone and say I want to buy an item, I'm saying just that - that I want to buy it. I have not bought it. Expressing interest in purchasing something is not a contract to purchase it.

I don't even know at that point if the item is still available - for all I know, someone else PMed him before me and also said "I want to buy it" and it's gone. If so, he doesn't owe me a thing. No money has changed hands.

What if someone else did PM him before me and will get the item? Nobody would say that because I also messaged him before he took the ad down that I have the right to one of those items too at the same price, and he should go get me one and sell it to me for that much.

placebo62 likes this.
  20. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

Although there doesn't appear to be a rule against doing that I would still report it to the mods.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    pjs ire likes this.