Emporium guys: no need to be rude...

COYS

Did you say you were interested in buying it, or did you do the “I’d like to buy it, please send you PayPal info”?

I agree that until the money hits my account the item is still for sale, but I can see why one might be annoyed with you. Still no reason to get nasty, though...it’s just some silly guitar gear.
This

michael patrick

Supporting Member
Actually my system is a bit of both. If user 1 has said they will buy it, and I have agreed, and user 2 comes calling, I just say sorry, another user has said they will buy it, but if the deal falls through you’ll be the first to know.

I honour the first buyer even if the second offers more money.

If the first buyer walks away, no hard feelings. There’s f-all I can do, so no point getting upset about it.
That's pretty much what I do. I may mutter obscenities to myself if someone says they'll take it and then they ghost me, but I won't send any nastygrams.

Last edited:

Kevy_Metal

I am fully convinced that 99% of people who ask a set of questions about an item are drunk and have no idea why they are even asking questions. When you reply with details, they ghost. I understand what you need to deal with when selling gear, but it is always amazing....
Just had this happen. Got asked a question, gave them the answers plus a link... and nothing.

Devin

Low Voltage
I agree manners are slipping in the emporium, at the same time though some people really don't put crucial info about pickups and radius and fret wear into the ads.

If you don't like questions take more clear pictures and list specs.

goddot

I'm selling something right now.. I realize most folks that are asking questions have no intention on buying it.. its cool, I enjoy talking to people about amps. The guys who are serious normally say the following: "I'll take it, send me your paypal addy" not a lot of fuss or fanfare.. That's what I do anyway!

dansworld

When somebody says "OK, I'll buy it." I then request their PP and send an invoice. This is the only way i do business. If there is a sudden hardship, I'll cancel the sale. But bidding my price against a seller of the same thing even though there is an expectation you were going to buy from me is uncool.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Supporting Member
If I’m the seller and someone here on TGP says they’ll take it, I change my listing to “pending” and wait for payment. Once payment comes I change it to sold but I never delete listings. You never know if people return something or whatever so I’d rather not have to recreate the thread.

Musicroom

I'm in the boat of you talking with me about my for sale item and then telling me you want to buy it - I would believe you and I would consider it sold. For him to go ghost after that statement would not set well with me either. I do agree with the OP that he should not have been publicly ridiculed. But I wouldn't do business with the OP knowing how he mislead that seller.

Hallogallo

Many years ago, I had a guy once tell me he was going to buy at a price we agreed on, and then when I politely asked if he would mind doing pp gift to help with shipping expenses he told me I was being "greedy" wouldn't buy and sent me a mini lecture. Never been so pissed off in my life. Blocked.

So you were pissed he wouldn't break the Paypal User Agreement, and remove all protections for himself during the sale, and you think he did something wrong?!?!?

Last edited:

japanmoran

I am upfront when i am selling - i will not "hold" an item if you say you want it unless you put down a deposit of some sort. Had a local deal get ugly with a buyer who was good with communication but came to check out the item without money in hand. Ok...so they promise me that next weekend they will have the money. I am clear that nothing is for certain if another buyer comes along.

Had to tell them today that I was sorry but someone else with cash in hand bought it.

"Oh that was such a dick move...we had a deal!" .... um, no we didn't.

nbessie1

Gold Supporting Member
The guy I have a problem with (if I'm understanding all this correctly), is the other seller who saw the "'I'd like to buy it" message on the FS thread, had a similar item they were trying to sell and immediately offered their item to the buyer...jumping inside the other seller's deal uninvited and blowing it up...a nasty and very sketchy thing to do!

COYS

If I PM someone and say I want to buy an item, I'm saying just that - that I want to buy it. I have not bought it. Expressing interest in purchasing something is not a contract to purchase it.

I don't even know at that point if the item is still available - for all I know, someone else PMed him before me and also said "I want to buy it" and it's gone. If so, he doesn't owe me a thing. No money has changed hands.

What if someone else did PM him before me and will get the item? Nobody would say that because I also messaged him before he took the ad down that I have the right to one of those items too at the same price, and he should go get me one and sell it to me for that much.

FlyingVBlues

Gold Supporting Member
The guy I have a problem with (if I'm understanding all this correctly), is the other seller who saw the "'I'd like to buy it" message on the FS thread, had a similar item they were trying to sell and immediately offered their item to the buyer...jumping inside the other seller's deal uninvited and blowing it up...a nasty and very sketchy thing to do!
Although there doesn't appear to be a rule against doing that I would still report it to the mods.

Last edited:

Trending Topics