Emporium guys: no need to be rude...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by james..., Mar 1, 2019.

1. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I'm going to buy it for 10% of what he's asking. Boom. There, I said it, deal is done. :eek:

s2y likes this.
  2. tycobb73

tycobb73 Supporting Member

So if I book a band but 1 comes along that I like better I can just book them instead! Thanks James. I thought the right thing to do was honor my word but since no money changed hands yet...

3. tastylicks

tastylicks Member

Man walks into a guitar store, sees guitar on the wall, takes it down, looks it over, says to the clerk "I want to buy this guitar."

Is the guitar now sold?

4. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

While I understand the feeling the seller might have that you reneged, the truth is, a deal is a deal when the money hits the table. Equally, I am not holding anything for you, if you are serious show me the money. People walk away from letters of intent on significant business deals, saying "I'll take it" is a joke.

stellablue and Pixies2005 like this.
  5. TonePilot

TonePilot Supporting Member

You should have kept your word unless it took him a day or two to get back to you. I don’t delist anything until I have the cash either. Might be a new seller.

6. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

blocked.... jk. I never thought of it that way. Back in 2012 pp gift was pretty standard here, things got more serious I understand. He never even mentioned buyer protection.

I get that I lost the sale in the negotiation.... he could have just said, "no pp regular" and I would be fine with it. Lost a ton $$$ on that parts guitar.

my bad guy :oops:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
    Hallogallo likes this.
  7. Arcadia

Arcadia Member

8. Gasp100

Gasp100 Supporting Member

I always try to preface this sort of thing with something like I'm looking at a few different options, will get back ASAP. But I fully accept if something is sold before I get back to the seller.
    Likewise, if someone commits to buying I put them at the top of the list and expect them to pay for said item.
    I had someone offer me a discount rate for an item and agreed to that price. He did not pay immediately.
    In the meantime another offered full asking price...
    I stood by my word and waited for the original buyer who came through.
    By your logic I could have canceled the original buyer just to make more money, but I stuck to my word as a seller.

beanbass likes this.
  9. Cody

Cody Well, look who’s undead! Silver Supporting Member

There is no reason to message a seller that you’d like to buy his/her item, other than to put the item on hold so it won’t get sold out from under you.

To take refuge in semantics, like “I was only expressing a wish”, is bull.

10. Devin

most annoying additions in emporium ads are
    "my wife _______"
    "if i had the cash...", yes obviously if I had the cash would buy allot of stuff on the emporium

11. Devin

Its a terrible time to be a seller period. I only unload stuff I can't stand seeing sitting around.

12. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

I've been buying and selling gear for twenty years now. I don't even listen to anything until the money has cleared my account. I've been told so many things over the years. I just shake it off and move on. I price my gear right and losing a buyer doesn't make or break me. It moves.

I can see how the owner of the laughably priced items in the Emporium would lose it by losing a sale. That just means it'll sit another year or so.

guff and RicardoDiazHimself like this.
  13. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

This is what an honorable human does. When in doubt, imagine the transaction taking place face to face, with all parties present, and do the right thing.

Hawking, John Hurtt and Emigre like this.
  14. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Supporting Member

Agreed.

Not to pat myself on the back, but I sold a White Face Reissue rat a few years ago. I had no idea they were rare and I got $95 for it. After I sold it, I realized my error, but I sold the guy the pedal for the price it was listed at. Killed me learn what the market value was but I think your credibility and integrity matters.

Telling someone you are ready to buy and then flaking is pretty lousy.

David MacNeill likes this.
  15. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

It was never “standard,” just common enough to make a rule against it necessary. It was always frowned upon.

The mere mention of PPG is a deal-breaker, for me. It’s an ethical red flag.

16. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs

I agree with that, big time, but it's all relative. I've had people tell me FOR SURE they are buying something. Comitted to price, terms, even went and got shipping quotes, and they only need to get paypaled for something else they've sold here to have the rest of the cash, and that the guy is sending paypal any minute for... then 3 days later say they've changed their mind. That is lame!

I've also messaged someone saying "I'm interested in your xyz, please PM me to discuss." And didn't get a reply til 4 days later. By then, I'd found another one and bought it. Then the guy gives me crap, saying "I already spent that money from this sale on something else because you said you wanted it" when A) we hadn't even talked terms yet and B) it took 4 days to answer me. But he took "I'm interested" as "I'm buying it."

guff, Musicroom, Pixies2005 and 3 others like this.
  17. Stev0Griffin

Stev0Griffin Trendsetter

Nah, that makes too much sense. This is TGP, buddy! Can’t talk like that here!

Pixies2005, yfeefy and Emigre like this.
  18. Devin

I did not understand my ethical faux pas at the time, I had done lots of pp gift buying here when it wasn't "Against the rules"
    My intention was not to be unethical. Guy said he would buy $1200 worth of parts for $680, I made a bad move I admit it, but he totally bailed on me after commitment to buy. Sorry guys. I only do pp regular now like a normal good person. Good to get some perspective on it now.

SRQGuitar likes this.
  19. Emigre

Emigre Member

What is a commitment? Did you guys exchange vows?

I will walk away at anytime if a seller throws up red flags, sorry to say. I know it might not have been your intention, but rules are rules, and rule number 1 is if anything seems off... walk. I need any item less than I need grief.

TexasHeartRush likes this.
  20. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Sorry, but "I'd like to buy your X" is not the same, legally or practicably, as "I accept your offer to sell X." This is why almost everyone keeps his ad up pending receipt of payment.