Emporium guys: no need to be rude...

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by james..., Mar 1, 2019.

1. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

You've given me an idea for a new emporium slogan: "Better flippant than rude!" ;)

2. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Or maybe resorting to dismissing others who disagree with you by obnoxiously repeating an immature 6th grade slur is what makes one a dick.

In Absentia and TexasHeartRush like this.
  3. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Member

That same guy would have felt ZERO sense of obligation if you would have turned other buyers away because you were holding it for "we had a deal guy" and then he decides to not buy it for some reason. In fact he would have felt like you were a sucker and being a jerk if you tried to make him feel committed.

People who say they are definitely buying something but do not INSTANTLY pay you or pay a substancial amount of non-refundable deposit are never to be taken seriously. No one should EVER give them the impression that you will hold something for them. If you need to "talk to your wife, go to the bank, wait until payday, sell your car, etc." that's fine. Go do that stuff and then call me to see if I still have it for sale. That's how it works.

4. Bodhisattva

Bodhisattva Member

I've come to realize that buying and selling music gear on the Internet is roughly on par with dealing with people on a dating site. They are all hot to trot one minute then cold fish once the New Kid In Town comes along. I had a guy drive up (to nashville) from Mississippi to buy my Martin OM only to stop by a local guitar store and buy something else, and another guy coming to buy a 335, texting emailing all week to setup a time place, only to ghost me on the day of transaction.

Seems to be more about the dopamine rush of The New rather than acquiring and playing cool gear. I think the notion that I've been guilty of having "well i'm going to buy this shiny new thing since i can just sell that Martin/335 or whatever" is not as valid anymore thanks to the fickle and flaky nature of this hobby.

I respected the Martin guy because he called me from Gruhn's to tell me he'd done lost that loving feelin, but the ghosting guy..... F that. Be a grown-ass man and communicate. People plan and take time out of their day to deal with this stuff and the least you can do is let them know this deal isn't going to happen.

Torry Courte likes this.
  5. saltbird

saltbird Member

This is why it really is helpful to list all the details, even the seemingly verbose ones. The fewer amount of inquiries you'll need to respond to, often ends up saving you more time in the long run. I also know that as a buyer, at least for me personally, I'm more likely to purchase something when the seller thoroughly describes the exact item at hand. It just makes it seem more trustworthy and genuine overall.

6. Peanut73

Peanut73 Member

I once tried to buy a piece of gear in the Emporium where the seller stated in his ad that the first person to send the funds would be the buyer, and no holds. When I contacted the seller offering to PayPal immediately, he responded that the guitar wasn't sold yet, but he was holding it for someone who promised to pay him the next day. People are pretty lame, even here.

7. Emigre

Emigre Member

I was wondering where you were going with this :D

8. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Supporting Member

you haven't been to McD's in a while, huh?

John Hurtt likes this.
  9. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Silver Supporting Member

10. Andres6and8

Andres6and8 Member

OK, have some "class," got it.

Wait, I thought you just told us to have som-

Oh I get it. "Having class" must be a one way street!

chunky48 and Jabberwocky like this.
  11. DRS

DRS Member

You truly believe this is the law?

Emigre likes this.
  12. Johnny21

Johnny21 Supporting Member

Rule #1 should be: "it ain't sold til the money is in paypal."

If someone says they'll take it, but doesn't pay, they didn't buy it.

Pixies2005, stratotastic and pjs ire like this.
  13. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

A “known dick”, you say....

14. Rufus

Rufus Member

Yes, that is the law. Practically speaking, no one would make an effort to enforce it, but offer + acceptance = a legal contract. Of course, there is nuance in every deal and the particulars matter, but this is an accurate statement of the law, generally.

Autoesq and Jay K like this.
  15. Machew

Machew Member

Gives you ideas to what you might have missed in your ad.

16. Machew

Machew Member

Not until the money is exchanged. But it is definitely being sold.

Drawde likes this.
  17. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky Member

What cracks me up is the low ball offer followed up by dismay that the item sold to someone else. No, an offer does not grant you exclusive negotiating rights.

Pixies2005 likes this.
  18. middlechainringguy

middlechainringguy Silver Supporting Member

Face to face transactions among professional market participants can have different standards of honor from dealings with your neighbor. (I think there are a few members here who spent time in the CBOT pit or similar places. They’re probably puking over the fact that this is even a subject for a thread.) The Emporium operates in between these sets of expectations for honor - which is great but which can also produce hard feelings at the margin.

19. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

I'd be interested to hear the seller's version

20. Jay K

Jay K Member

As a lawyer admitted to practice law in California and Washington State, yes.