Emporium is slowwwwwwww

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hoth, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Hoth

Hoth Silver Supporting Member

Is it me or are things not moving in the emporium? I feel like I see tons of stuff at reasonable prices sitting around and a record number of price drops. I thought the economy was getting better. At least that's what they say on the news :bonk.

2. DRS

DRS Member

Let's face it, if you post here, you've spent way more than you should've and know darn well it's time to cut back and lie low.

Ugly Bunny, quilsaw and Rogan1990 like this.
  3. keepingitweird

keepingitweird Member

:agree

4. whsdhs1

whsdhs1 Supporting Member

I would expect it to pick up as tax return money heads folks way. But I agree I see the same posts bumped over and over. I have a few pedals that a year ago would have sold in a matter of minutes but I keep bumping.

5. teleclem

teleclem Member

Yeah, great deals now.

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

Just not the right items. Or the right price. :)

7. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I never imagined seeing skreddy pedals selling for $150 to $175 no matter what the situation was. Then again i have scored some nice stuff at great prices. I bought a VMSD last week for $350 and seen.one the other day for $320! I was shocked! Got my Hartman flanger for $160. Its a biyers market right now.

8. cribcage

cribcage Member

I've never used the Emporium and I'm curious about the logic. It seems to me that, in Venn-diagram terms, the set of potential buyers who read TGP sits pretty squarely within the much, much larger set of potential buyers who visit eBay. TGP charges a few bucks to place an ad, which is probably cheaper than eBay on big stuff (e.g., boutique amps) but comparable on smaller stuff (e.g., pedals).

I'm sure there are other, good reasons to use the Emporium rather than eBay. But maybe some of the disparity between thriving discussion boards and slowing classified ads is due to eBay draw-off?

9. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Omg! You dont know what your missing! It only costs like $12 a year in the emporium and you buy and sell as much as you want. Its a hell of a lot cheaper to buy and sell here then.ebay.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  10. Footbutt

Footbutt Supporting Member

i now put my items up on the Emporium first and if they don't sell for a few days/weeks, i put them up on ebay.

the Emporium is great for swapping gear, quick buying and selling, and to see what the current market is. ebay can take a big chunk out of your earnings (like ~10% if the selling price was uber high) whereas the Emporium, well, most things are listed as "paypalled and shipped" which makes the whole process smoother and easier.

11. guitarslinger21

guitarslinger21 Member

The Ebay buyer pool is full of scoundrels and idiots with no reputation to uphold. In a niche community such as this, it pays to be a good business partner.

Ugly Bunny likes this.
  12. The_Wretched

The_Wretched Supporting Member

Yeah things are moving more slowly as of late. But i think its due to: low funds from other gear or just people realizing they need to stop spending so much on gear. Also people haven't gotten their tax returns.

13. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

yeah it is pretty slow. I pulled two things already this month because im tired of bumping. I price as well as i can possibly imagine. Nobody here wants to pay for shipping... which is fine. I never ask for pp gift. The one time i did do it i lost the sale. I would say antagonism is on the rise. Patience is key if you want to win the emporium.

Sometimes i feel like im the only one who buys stuff here ;)

14. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Well if you're in no hurry, put stuff up and let folks with hearty search engine skills eventually find it, no worries on the bump. If you are in a hurry, either price it accordingly or toss it on ebay, which after fees may cost you as much as just dropping the price here anyhow.

15. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

Unfortunately, it seems there's been an influx of unscrupulous sellers here in recent months- I've been burned on a guitar and two pedals where the item's condition has been misrepresented. All of the sellers were infrequent posters and two of them made statements in passing that, if true, revealed they're older than 20-something.

Keep in mind, at least where bigger items are concerned, that the universe/price floor isn't either here or eBay. The real price floor on guitars and amps is whatever you can get from selling through reputable dealers with high-traffic websites after their (usually 20%) consignment commissions. Those shops aren't going out of business- there are buyers out there.

16. Blues Wail

Blues Wail Member

:agree

17. kstrat62

kstrat62 Member

Yes it is SLOOOWWW right now! There are some great deals, it's just nobody is buying anything. I've always kind of found that things are always pretty slow through Jan., but usually pick up after the Super Bowl, not so this year!

18. kelvinator60

kelvinator60 Member

Yep I was going to move a couple things but just decided I would keep them rather than take a loss. I agree when Uncle Sam checks start arriving things will pick back up at least for a couple months.

19. JHVRay

JHVRay Member

I'm new to the forum and just bought two new pedals from the emporium. 1000x better than eBay, not sure why I never found this awesomeness before!

I've got my eye on a few more... just when I thought I had my GAS under control. :facepalm

20. FuzzGazer

FuzzGazer Member

Prices need to come down in order for stuff to move.