Emporium Sellers ... Would you find this Insulting ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kenny Blue, Sep 19, 2019.

If you are selling a pedal, in the Emporium, at a stated price ...

1. Yes I would find that insulting

38 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No it wouldn't bother me

182 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

I am curious...

If you are selling a pedal, in the Emporium, at a stated price (for example $195) and a prospective buyer sends you a message asking if it is still available and what your LOWEST PRICE would be.

You then send them a reply stating the LOWEST PRICE (for example $185) that you would be willing to accept.

And they then reply back asking "So, would you accept $180 ?"

Would you find that insulting ?

2. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

Not particularly. I would assume he can't read. If he countered with $100 I would probably be insulted.

All you have to do is say no.

3. Kenny Blue

lol... good answer. Though I think he read my first reply correctly.

4. teleman1

teleman1 Supporting Member

I'd take before the $160 offers start to come and 3 weeks go by.

5. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

No, once you've opened the doors to haggling they can throw out whatever they want.

Madsen, 84superchamp, jrjones and 9 others like this.
  6. mustachio

mustachio Supporting Member

I wouldn't consider it an inuslt. Insults are personal. They don't know me. It'd bother me as far as in my realization to the extent that pop-tarts have infiltrated thegearpage forum and emporium. Beset on all sides.

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Don't be so serious. Have some fun! Counter with, "Thank you for your latest offer. My lowest price that I would accept is now $190."

8. Kenny Blue

I don't know... it just seems to me that if a person asks you to drop your price and how low would you be willing to drop it. And you answer them clearly, and THEN they ask if you would drop it more... It's like.... Why did you even ask me in the first place ?

9. Kenny Blue

Lol...Funny... I did consider then raising my "lowest price" in reply to his low ball response to my first lowest price.

speedyone likes this.
  10. Emigre

Emigre Member

FACT: If you start the haggling by undercutting yourself, the buyer will undercut you even more.

There is no "lowest price" that the buyer will just accept with no further negotiation. you can shave 99% off, and the buyer will counter offer you half that.

The correct response is, "ideally I would sell at my listed price, but I will consider a good offer."

Once a price is posted the next move is for the buyer to make an offer. Whatever you respond -- the next price MUST come from the buyer. Then the negotiation can start.

Does no-one ever read the rules? :p

11. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

In a negotiation the person that states a price first is at a disadvantage.

asilker, RCM78, Skeet skeet! and 3 others like this.
  12. Kenny Blue

And you guys are probably right. I took it too serious. Actually I usually just give in to some low balling... just to sell the item. But this is really a brand new pedal, and at my stated "lowest price" is already at a substantial savings over the New price currently. It just struck me wrong to be asked... then to answer them clearly... and then to have them ask me to drop the price another $5.

It then seemed to not at all be about the money... but more about just making the seller, me, give in. I felt like quite possibly this is the type of buyer who, once receiving the item, would then have more complaints and want to send it back for a refund.

If you're going to ask a specific question and then disregard the answer.... why even ask ? Just tell me what you are willing to pay and ask me if I would accept that or not.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  13. Kenny Blue

Okay... interesting... I never thought about it that way. See I am learning something here.

Crowder and Emigre like this.
  14. Yam the BOMB

Yam the BOMB Member

^^^^yep, yep, yep^^^ what he said.

If people test you with that “What’s you lowest price BS” and you respond with a lower price YOU are the problem. Not him. You just reset you TOP price lower. Not your bottom price.

Buyers have to OFFER what they will pay right now if they want to buy it for lower than your listed price. Then you consider their offer. You can say yes, no, or counter.

If the buyer is not making a solid offer to buy now, then he is just tire kicking.

asilker, T Dizz and Emigre like this.
  15. Machew

Machew Member

You get to choose if you want to be offended. You won't be once you accept stupid people are everywhere.

Even smart people make stupid choices from time to time.

jrjones likes this.
  16. BadHat

BadHat Supporting Member

The thing is, you will never get a better deal if you don't ask.

Washburnmemphis likes this.
  17. Kenny Blue

Okay... Again... I guess I had not seen it that way. I guess that I take language too literally.

I had stated a price in the Emporium. I was asked if I would accept lower and specifically what that lower acceptable price would be. I clearly responded, expecting them to either accept that or not. But, as you guys are advising, it's more of a game than just a straight ahead conversation.

To me I just really took it like he was ignoring my first answer.... just to save another $5.

Anyway... seriously... I will take your advice next time and defer to the prospective buyer to actually name THEIR acceptable price and then either accept that or pass on it.

18. Emigre

Emigre Member

Exactly this.

Any time when I was in a good mood and took the buyer's question "what's your lowest price" in good faith, I was upset at myself for lowering the starting price. Every time the buyer came back with a low counter offer.

The truth is:
    * The seller's initial price establishes the upper limit
    * The buyer's initial price establishes the lower limit
    * The actual price will be somewhere among the two prices depending on negotiation skills

If the seller lowers the price at the outset that just moves the whole bar lower.

No offense is meant on either side, and it's a waste of time to get insulted. Them's just the rules :)

19. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Don't artificially limit your options - they include countering with a price between your opening sale price and the prospective buyer's first bid. Were this not the case, I'd not own my current home or either of my cars!

Emigre likes this.
  20. Colnago

Colnago Member

I totally lowballed a guy on an amp a few months ago and he accepted. Turns out he really needed the money and it was a tough sell at the time and I caught him at a moment when he felt like it would never sell. I felt a bit guilty so I gave him a 6 pack of home brew as well. He was happy.
    You never know what someone will accept versus their asking price.

Washburnmemphis likes this.