Emporium Sellers ... Would you find this Insulting ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kenny Blue, Sep 19, 2019.

If you are selling a pedal, in the Emporium, at a stated price ...

1. Yes I would find that insulting

38 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No it wouldn't bother me

182 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

You know.... very interesting. I am realizing more that, for me anyway, this thread (well and my question here) is really more about the interaction I had with this person than about the potential sale.

I don't care about the $5 . But, like you said MonSTeR, I interact with so many people on here and really kind of consider many as kind of long distance friends or like minded brothers and sisters in music.

So when I listed my price in my Emporium listing I consider how low would be fair for this pedal. And when I was asked if I would lower that I told the person that I would stretch a bit more and gave him the price ... the answer he had asked me for (which... yes I can see how that maybe is not the best tactic... as opposed to asking the buyer to make and offer).

When he responded back by then asking me to then undercut my stated lowest price... after he asked me for my lowest, I felt like ...

"Man, come on... for $5 you are going ask me AGAIN what I JUST finished telling you was my lowest price.... JUST TO SAVE ANOTHER $5 ?!?"

It suddenly ceased being about the sale and about the price. It seemed to then become just a move to bleed $5 more dollars out of me. It felt manipulative... and disrespectful. I reacted to the what seemed to be the intent.

But... again... clearly I was too sensitive. I admittedly have a challenge with this I think... being stupidly too sensitive. It's stupid. I am well into my 60s and I am still dealing with this "personal" issue.

Lol... anyway... Really... thanks for all of your input.

2. Kenny Blue

No you are right... even his second "ask" wasn't terribly low. It wasn't the amount... My reaction came from him not respecting the answer that I gave him, but instead continuing to push me. I know... it's silly. I need to just decide what I will and won't do and simply state it... period, and move on.

3. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

I added a sentence to my post between making it and then seeing your reply, where I did say the five dollar thing would have put me off some, within the context of the way things unfolded.

4. gretschplayer

gretschplayer Member

Reply with only "Bwahahaha" and let them figure out if they've been insulted or not.

5. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

A few of you should probably put me on your ignore list now.
    It will save you the enormous pain of interaction with a different type of buyer than you seek.
    That is, if I am ever interested in your unobtanium.

My first assumption is always that a seller has an asking and selling price.
    I almost always ask if that is the case.
    I let the seller know I am not trying to get them to negotiate against themselves, but would like to get to the bottom line without several volleys back and forth.
    Unless the item is priced so reasonably that I would be a fool to risk letting someone else grab it before me. Or, if it is so rare that I might not see another like it for years. In those instances, I just ask for a PayPal address.
    However that is rarely the case. There are often several similar items for sale just in the emporium, and dozens more in the marketplace.

Usually, I receive their best price on the first exchange.
    Sometimes, they respond that the asking price is the best price.

Depending on various factors, condition, alignment to what I am seeking, market rarity/saturation, etc. I have purchased at the original price.
    If I think the seller has been smoking too much homegrown (unreasonable expectations), I wish them well and move on to another more realistic seller.

Attitude from a seller, in a buyers market, has caused me to walk away from items because I do not anticipate snotty, arrogant behavior to improve if there are any unforeseen issues. Insulting my reasonable (to me) question about the flexibility in price is a red flag alerting me to walk now, before handing over money to an Internet stranger.

Hey, all I’m doing is asking a reasonable question, do you have another price in mind that you’d be happy to accept to sell it now?

Just trying to offer a different perspective here.

OP, the buyer might have only had $180 to spend, and was hoping that would be your best price.
    When it wasn’t, he might have figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask.

Jayyj likes this.
  6. scott

scott Member

It happens. I've had decent deals that way. I sold a Harley a while back and he asked my bottom line then offered me 1k less. I said no way, nothing personal. we met in the middle then I sold him a bunch of parts for the bike and got exactly what I wanted out of the whole deal. People just wanna feel like they won the deal. I've had same thing with pedals and the $5 thing. No matter how low it is someone will try to get it for less. They want you to take their offer and some people will walk over five bucks just out of pure stubbornness.

7. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

How can an offer be insulting...it's not like he called you a nancy-boy.

8. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

It’s not silly. I think your reaction is appropriate on an emotional level. This place should be better than Craig’s list. But I recognize that people have different attitudes towards haggling and gear than I do. If you really want to get bent out of shape hang out in the Pub!

Kenny Blue and sixesandsevens like this.
  9. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

Insulting? No. Obnoxious and annoying? Yes.

thirsty one likes this.
  10. Bluzeboy

Bluzeboy Member

Not entirely correct..
    I have asked guys “is that price firm? Is there any room here?” And they have sometimes come back with a lower price and I’ll take it.
    Sometimes not..
    when I see something I’m interested in there is a price in my mind that it is worth to me.. We reach an agreement, great. We don’t, fine..

ant_riv likes this.
  11. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I would not, no. It is definitely a buyer's market and people know that going-in to any negotiations. I always expect people to counter with 10-20% of what I am asking. Sometimes I can build that into my posted/asking price but others I cannot.

12. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I can relate to the OP. I have an amp in the emporium for local sale (it's heavy and a beast to ship). A local TGP member messaged me asking for "best local cash price" and I replied with "anything in the ballpark of my asking price and it's yours!" and he would not throw out a number. Freakin' bizarre. I still cannot understand why someone takes the time/effort to message the seller and then won't converse in a productive manner.

Jayyj and Kenny Blue like this.
  13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Insulating? No. What part of that would be an insult?

People are strange, many of them. They have their own little worlds, and ideas about how one bargains, or negotiates, or are just cheap, or thrifty, etc.

You can also run into folk that just pay the price and are no problem.

I could see it be irritating, but then one always has the choice of just ignoring them like you would any PITA. Either it’s worth the hassle and you really would or could go down to that price, or else you just say “nope”.

You can’t have the good without the bad. This is all part of selling stuff to the general public.

Jayyj and Kenny Blue like this.
  14. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

No. It's just somebody who has no idea how to haggle. You said your lowest price. He should have made his offer first.

Emigre and Kenny Blue like this.
  15. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

That **** annoys me. I usually don’t even respond if someone asks me what my lowest price is. I’m not negotiating against myself. If I do respond, it’s “what’s your highest offer?”

StompBoxBlues and Kenny Blue like this.
  16. GuitarWanabe

GuitarWanabe Member

Not got through it all yet but surely this is a common haggling technique?

They ask your lowest price, surely you don’t tell them your lowest price? I’d just suggest a lower price rather than lowest, because I know they’ll undercut whatever I say

17. Kenny Blue

I honestly really appreciate the time each of you have taken to respond. I have bought and sold quite a bit of gear for quite a few years... here, and on Ebay and Reverb, but I have learned a thing or two here from all of you.

And it's also encouraging to read responses from those of you who seem to feel somewhat the same way (or something similar) I did initially when this particular interaction happened with me. It's nice to know, at least, that I am not the only person who might feel this way.

But I will, in the future, try to leave my emotions out of my interactions and maybe adopt the strategy suggested my many of you, and just place the ball in the prospective buyer's court, asking them for their best offer... or... just accept their offer if I want to bypass any further discussion and just sell the item... and be done with it.

I started this thread because I was upset about what had happened and wanted to see if I was someone crazy or what other's might feel like in this situation (again... it's not about the silly $5). But what this thread became is a very interesting discussion... on selling and on general human psychology and communication.

Thanks everyone !

Jayyj and Emigre like this.
  18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

A certain percentage of buyers (or just people) have all sorts of issues. What I can’t understand is all the puzzlement over weird buyers that don’t act logical, reasonable, or he framework of the ideal.

Can be many explanations but we never know what it really is. In your case, maybe he thought he was sweating you and was some master plan to get you to break and give him the best price. Maybe he contacted you first when drunk and sobered up and realized he didn’t need the amp, or his car broke down and suddenly didn’t have the cash. Maybe he thought you were playing a game on him because you didn’t name a price. Not saying it’s right or wrong, but people often take things the wrong way or a phrase hits them wrong.

Communication is not always easy in such negotiations. Often a lot better face to face but even then some folks have different ideas about what a negotiation is even.

skhan007 likes this.
  19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

That is a good response. Still not sure why it ought to annoy you. It only bums you out, doesn’t have any effect on the person that is the source. It’s kind of like traffic, people do dumb things, but getting in a bad mood or annoyed does nothing to them and only goes back on you.

Could just as easily smile, and say “all righty then...you want to play eh?” and give that great response you did! And feel good about it. It’s a particularly great response by the way, because it turns the tables on the person, and hopefully annoys them so they say to themselves “well, I’m not negotiating against MYSELF dammit...” and get annoyed.

Worst case, they actually DO tell you their highest price and you can decide if you will accept.

20. themightyjay

themightyjay Member

$5?

I’d accept that and get rid of the pedal.