Emporium Sellers ... Would you find this Insulting ?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kenny Blue, Sep 19, 2019.

If you are selling a pedal, in the Emporium, at a stated price ...

1. Yes I would find that insulting

38 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. No it wouldn't bother me

182 vote(s)
    82.7%
  1. tnvol

tnvol Ufologist Silver Supporting Member

lol Thicker skin.

2. rollyfoster

rollyfoster Silver Supporting Member

It annoys me because someone out there is dumb enough to think that’s a productive negotiation tactic and they’re essentially asking me to play both parts, one being against myself.

I’ve set a price. I’m not going to arbitrarily lower it for someone who’s too scared or lazy to come up with a price they want to pay and present it to me.

3. killer blues

killer blues Member

No. The buyer is trying to get the best price they can. Cant blame them.

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Okay...be annoyed then. Let strangers dictate your mood. It’s all good. If that how you like it. For me being annoyed is unpleasant and unproductive. YMMV.

note I did try and give a compliment on the excellent response you used to the buyer.
    Nobody can force you to lower your price anyway, it’s a moot point. It’s just a decision.

If you are going to decide to be annoyed because “someone out there” does something dumb, then I guess annoyed is going to be your state of being for the foreseeable future.

Enjoy!

ant_riv likes this.
  5. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Trying to rationalize the often unrationalizable is fruitless. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said, "Hey man! I know you are asking $500 for your XYZ, but if you could do $450 I'll take it today." I respond, "Sure, let's do it." To which he responds, "I'm gonna pass."

6. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

If a guy needs to undercut me by $5, i will let him have his "win", make the sale and move on to more enjoyable activities than selling online.
    Take the offer, skip starbucks today and enjoy your time instead of wasting it jousting
    over 10 bucks. There is a good chance you won't receive a better offer anytime soon in this market. Jmo.

ant_riv, bassethound and Emigre like this.
  7. MESA/BUDDA

MESA/BUDDA Member

Just tell them your lowest price is $0

8. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Haggling is a dying art.

Emigre and tnvol like this.
  9. Pick'n'strum

Pick'n'strum Member

I'd be slightly annoyed, not insulted - I personally wouldn't close the door on haggling, especially with how slow it can be to move some items these days. I'd probably take that offer.

10. Kenny Blue

Kenny Blue Silver Supporting Member

Yep... I hear you

tnvol likes this.
  11. Kenny Blue

?

12. Kenny Blue

lol

13. Kenny Blue

Yeah... it was not the $5 ...

14. mdubya

mdubya Member

If you are offended by people making offers on items you have for sale, maybe selling stuff isn't for you.

JMHO.

ant_riv likes this.
  15. sleewell

sleewell Member

i actually just sold a guitar last night. guy wanted to know if i accepted offers. i said i would for a local pickup but if i was going to ship i would stick to my list price. he said he was hoping to spend about $50 less than i was asking. i looked at the other guitars for sale like mine and they were either all banged up or didnt have a gig bag like mine or shipping was way more than i was asking. so i told him that. he agreed but still asked for a discount.

i basically ignored him for the rest of the day and later in the night he bought it for full price.

if you you think your price is fair and don't need the money just stick to your guns.

16. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I would have deleted the first PM, asking what "my lowest price" would be, and moved on with my life.

17. kcprogguitar

kcprogguitar Member

I guess I'm kind of an ass. I research the hell out of my sales and usually discount right off the top and say so in the ad.

More than one attempt to lower my price and my price goes up above what I have listed. I hate negotiating, and I say so in the ad. I absolutely loathe it. Houses and cars I play hardball, music gear isn't worth the hassle.

18. Grun

Grun Member

Couple of things. First, you never give your lowest price. 2nd, depends on whether you want to sell the pedal or not. What an item is 'worth' varies constantly over time. At the time I probably would have taken the offer. People who ask for the lowest price do annoy me. I've already stated my price. Why would I undercut myself? Make me an offer.

19. CaptNasty

CaptNasty Member

Absolutely not. He asked your low. You responded. He countered with what he thought was fair. Simply respond “thanks for your interest, but I am not prepared to go that low”. Words are free. Might take a minute to type them out. When you have a public listing you have to interact with interested parties. It is the nature of the beast.

You have a public listing and someone showing interest. What is there to be offended by? I think some people look for ways to get offended. Don’t be that guy.

ant_riv likes this.
  20. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

I think someone who wants to nickel and dime you over so little money as $5 is likely to become a problem after the sale. I wouldn't want to mess with that person at all.

"What's with the rubber foot being a little off-center? I didn't know about that."

"You didn't tell me the the box wasn't in mint condition!"

etc.

Kenny Blue likes this.