Empress Compressor, new CHAMP

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BIGRIGG, Mar 24, 2015.

1. BIGRIGG

BIGRIGG Member

Hey so I just wanted to say this is by far the best I've used. I've owned a few and some of the "better." Previous Diamond and Wampler Ego to name a few. The Empress noise floor is SO LOW, so quiet. Even at 10:1 super squash it's way quieter than others. Lots of tweaking, mix knob. Fun light show options with the LED choices. Not cheap, but hey when are the best ever cheap? PGS vid with Burgs. Extremely pristine, clean and transparent is available, boost or color the tone if you desire.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMEl-ERuIyE
    Yeah yeah, Empress is from Canada and so am I, but trust me I hate plenty of Canadians so it's not about patriotism here. lol I'm also not related or endorsed, however if Empress would like to send me swag, shirts or pedals..please do :D
    I have had good experience with their service through website as a bonus. Nice guys. If you can afford, you won't be sorry.

jocfan1 likes this.
  2. jb4674

jb4674 Member

The mac daddy of all compressors IMO.

3. Prizefighter

Prizefighter Supporting Member

Haven't turned it off since it went on the board.

4. petty1818

petty1818 Member

That's great to hear that the Empress is quiet! I have been using the Rothwell Love Squeeze for a few years and it's by the far the quietest compressor that I have ever used. I literally cannot get any hiss out of this pedal. My only complaint is that it's not very versatile and removes a bit too much of my high end.

I wanted to try the Empress but wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the noise floor. I also got interested in the Keeley Compressor Pro but I know that the other compressors that Keeley have released have been noisy. I think I might go for the Empress, it sounds like a great pedal.

5. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

I think its amazing too. Will say though... New Keeley GC-2 is as good. I actually kept Keeley.

6. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

Thanks for the gas. Love my diamond comp, but the empress and cali76 are on my wish list. The empress comp is much more in my budget, so if I get another comp, it will be that.

7. petty1818

petty1818 Member

What's the noise floor like on the GC-2?

8. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

Pretty dead quiet. Like any compressor, it will bring up noise present in the input signal, but it's way more quiet than almost all OTA compressors. I have a Carl Martin which is about as quiet, but the Keeley edges it out, I think.

9. ObsessedGuitarist

ObsessedGuitarist Member

My best friend lent me his collection of top end compressor pedals while he is recording a few EPs so that I could get some good experience with them. Two years running now, I have the Empress on all the time. The other ones cost about the same, but clearly the Empress is the best one. I understand that the Cali76 is about the only other one that can beat it, but it is yet another jump in cost and realistically, I don't know what would be better about it. In my mind, it is one "effect" that is worth paying the price for quality.

10. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

I prefer the Diamond Compressor sonically and ease of use by a lot , but like all the control on the Empress, could see having both. Just did a shootout a few days ago.

11. Glitch Magnet

Glitch Magnet Member

First off ... both the Empress and GC-2 are exceptional compressors, and the Empress remains my personal comp of choice. But since we're talking noise, I'll share my experience.

I've tried many comps including a couple I've found to be dead quiet (RAF Mirage and Maxon CP101). Comparatively, the Empress and GC-2 are noisier. That is, they do generate some high-pitch hiss on their own, regardless of how much compression is dialed in. Set up for unison output with any amount of compression, there is some high-pitched hiss at the output of each. If your amp and speakers are on the dark side, you won't notice it. With my AC15HW1X set moderately bright like I like it, it's noticeable, but livable.

I've found a handful of other Empress owners who agree with me about the noise, but more who have wholeheartedly disagreed. So, take that for what it's worth to you.

12. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

RAF Mirage and Keeley Pro are definitely contenders.

13. boogierobot

boogierobot Member

+1. Great boost too or leave it on with mix at 7:00 (100% dry) and use it as a buffer.