Empress Echo System Dual Engine Delay **update w/clips**

rbrogan

Couldn't take it staring at me on my desk... so my lunch break became more of an Echosystem break. Thankfully, work is very close to the house, so I took it home and hooked it up. I told myself, "hook it up to make sure it works, play a few sounds, you've got 20 minutes". One hour later... I had to tear myself away from it before I started getting calls from work wondering where I was.

Overall, the sounds are just phenomenal. I didn't have enough time to really demo each mode, but what I quickly scrolled through all sounded awesome. I just left the mix at 50% and mostly played with the thing 1 & 2 for each mode, occasionally messing with the subdivisions. Lots of awesome happening in tape and analog. Deluxe Memory Boy's stackable vibrato and chorus modulation is wobbly awesomeness, got lost with that one for a while. I was really surprised at how big and lush the reverb was in the Delay + Reverb modes. Drunk Ewok is something special, I kept coming back to that to play with the diffusion and patterns, I can already tell it's going to be a favorite. I was really surprised by the filter delays, I definitely lost some time with the Warp Filter and Pulse Filter and I'm usually not into those types. I barely got to mess with some of the other modes, just didn't have enough time. The biggest let down about the Echosystem so far is that there are only 24 hours in a day, and I've got to sleep, eat, work and be a responsible dad for 80-90% of that time.

rbrogan

Spent most of last night working through all the modes and the manual, starting to wrap my head around this thing. I did have a few questions, hoping some of you more experienced users could answer for me -

For the delay + reverb modes, I had trouble completely dialing the delay out. I turned the delay/reverb mix (thing 1) all the way to the right, and turned the repeats all the way down, but I could still hear a delay repeat. I feel like this was answered earlier on in the thread, but I couldn't find it. What am I doing wrong here?

Does holding down the tap button engage any kind of hold/infinite repeats on some engines? I could have swore I read that this was something the Echosystem could do, but could not find any mention of it in the manual, and it didn't seem to work when I tried it on a few modes. Maybe I'm totally making it up...

The Echosystem is still knocking off my socks with the sounds I'm getting out of it. I hooked it up in stereo (Quilter 101 Mini into a 2x10 cab and a Fender Champ with an 8" speaker), the left channel ran through my Caroline Meteore into the Quilter, and the right channel ran straight into the Champ. I set up a dual parallel patch with the octave reverse reverb and drunk Ewok, and then the Meteore with a high mix, long decay and regen and attack at noon (for some nice gritty verb). HOLY ****! I was swimming in that sound for at least an hour. The drunk ewok patch, especially on the later patterns (Thing 1 dial) has this amazing, aggressive swell in the repeats. When you have the diffusion above noon, it's the swelling, ambient verb sound I've had in my head for a long time. Adding the Meteore to it all was like dropping an entire concert hall into a massive cave. I'll try to record some clips of it soon, it's so good.

mrsongbird

Spent most of last night working through all the modes and the manual, starting to wrap my head around this thing. I did have a few questions, hoping some of you more experienced users could answer for me -

For the delay + reverb modes, I had trouble completely dialing the delay out. I turned the delay/reverb mix (thing 1) all the way to the right, and turned the repeats all the way down, but I could still hear a delay repeat. I feel like this was answered earlier on in the thread, but I couldn't find it. What am I doing wrong here?

Does holding down the tap button engage any kind of hold/infinite repeats on some engines? I could have swore I read that this was something the Echosystem could do, but could not find any mention of it in the manual, and it didn't seem to work when I tried it on a few modes. Maybe I'm totally making it up...

The Echosystem is still knocking off my socks with the sounds I'm getting out of it. I hooked it up in stereo (Quilter 101 Mini into a 2x10 cab and a Fender Champ with an 8" speaker), the left channel ran through my Caroline Meteore into the Quilter, and the right channel ran straight into the Champ. I set up a dual parallel patch with the octave reverse reverb and drunk Ewok, and then the Meteore with a high mix, long decay and regen and attack at noon (for some nice gritty verb). HOLY ****! I was swimming in that sound for at least an hour. The drunk ewok patch, especially on the later patterns (Thing 1 dial) has this amazing, aggressive swell in the repeats. When you have the diffusion above noon, it's the swelling, ambient verb sound I've had in my head for a long time. Adding the Meteore to it all was like dropping an entire concert hall into a massive cave. I'll try to record some clips of it soon, it's so good.
For Reverb + Delay, if you switch the tempo source to the knob instead of tap, putting the time knob at zero automatically dials out the delay completely. Just Reverb.

After spending a while with Mix Taper 2, I've switched back to Mix taper 1. Glad Empress included both options, because they are both useful depending on the sound you are trying to get.

rbrogan

New firmware was just posted for the Echosystem, lots of little fixes, added some midi CC's and a new ambient mode

https://empresseffects.com/pages/echosystem-firmware

1.07 (beta date: July 25, 2017)
-------------------------------
- fixed: Midi issue when sending knob parameters.
- fixed: New Tape thing 1 knob.
- updated: knob delay source presets load without ramping to the delaytime and causing
pitch change. (Unless it's going from two presets with the exact same mode(s)
and delay sources.)
- fixed: In HW insert and trails presets loading incorrectly sometimes.
- fixed: Delay time export using external tap in bank presets.
- fixed: No sound w/advanced config 'starting up pedal in preset 1' in bank mode.
- fixed: Lofi blue was putting wet in the dry path in wet/dry mode in serial routing
if it was in the 2nd engine slot.
- fixed: tap tempo led showing wrong time sometimes with expression pedal
control of delay time/ratio.
- added: Midi CC's for:
solo: eng A 41, eng B 42 (send 0 un-solo, any other value solos)
switch engine order: 40 (send any value)
Save Preset: 41 (send 0-35 to save to that preset).
- added: input rider with all-pass filter mode. (Aqua Ambient)
thing 1: controls level into the delay line (so
you can get swells by assigning it to the expression pedal).
thing 2: Adds in all-pass filter signal which
smooths out transients a bit and makes it sound
like a small room reverb.
- fixed: Factory presets with knob tap source had weird behavior
with expression pedal plugged in.

rayza

Is anyone using their echosystem with midi clock? I'm still waiting on mine (next week... next week... next week... rogue..) but I really want to be able to set the bpm when I get it. Trying to decide wether to get the empress midi box and get a clock signal in, or go the smartclock/quartz timer route for a tap input...

peasencarrots

Is anyone using their echosystem with midi clock? I'm still waiting on mine (next week... next week... next week... rogue..) but I really want to be able to set the bpm when I get it. Trying to decide wether to get the empress midi box and get a clock signal in, or go the smartclock/quartz timer route for a tap input...
I have the control port of my echosystem set to receive tap as normally open and it's hooked to my smart clock and works like a charm. Knowing my bpms is crucial for me.

FYI I also have a dig hooked up to the smart clock as well, so having 2 dual delays (essentially 4 insync delays) stacked is pretty amazing

jibreel

If I like the Echolution 2 Deluxe, but not the Timeline, which pedal is the Echosystem closest to?

I owned the Timeline. Killer pedal of course but it was just too clean for me.

Bought the Nemesis [twice]….. Really tried to bond with it. I loved the SA Dimension reverb and will probably get the Ventris.

Recently had a Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe. Preferred this over the Timeline and Nemesis sound wise. Not as keen on the interface and presets.

Given my experience with the above three listed pedals, and my preference sound wise for the E2D, do you think I would like the tonal qualities of the Echosystem?

Last edited:

LordByron

The Dude abides!
If I like the Echolution 2 Deluxe, but not the Timeline, will I like the Echosystem?

Bought the Nemesis [twice]….. Really tried to bond with it. I loved the SA Dimension reverb and will probably get the Ventris.

Recently had a Pigtronix Echolution 2 Deluxe. Preferred this over the Timeline and Nemesis sound wise. Not as keen on the interface and presets.

Given my experience with the above three listed pedals, and my preference sound wise for the E2D, do you think I would like the tonal qualities of the Echosystem?
I think you might well love the Echosystem. I think it kills both the Timeline and the Nemesis. It does clean and dirty with equal aplomb.
I've never owned the Echolution 2-D, but have played through it a few times. I liked its tones, but hated its UI. I definitely prefer the Echosystem to the Ecolution, but that's me... it's always hard to so whether someone is going to like the same things you do. That having been said the Echosystem does so much, so well, it's hard to imagine that there are not tones in there that most people would love.

thinkwriter

If I like the Echolution 2 Deluxe, but not the Timeline, will I like the Echosystem?

I own an E2D and I really like it. I bought it knowing it had the feature that at the time I felt made up the "ultimate" delay: control over all aspects of the sound. I mean you can choose a (analog filter) tape emulation with a square wave synced modulation with repeats panned left and right with different taps--are you kidding me?

It was supposed to be my sound, or so I planned. I sold all my effects and I wanted the E2D to be the centerpiece.

However, the Echosystem IS the thing I imagined the ultimate pedal should be. If you want, you can have a totally different delay on the right versus the left. In TGP, I've clamored for such a thing whenever such musings for features where asked on threads (I was first to suggest that on the Ventris' thread).

So yeah I haven't sold the E2D because selling boutique music gear here in the Philippines is tantamount to throwing away money, but I plan on getting the Echosystem in the future, maybe a far future.

I got my Echosystem on Monday and I'm blown away by this pedal.

I wanted to avoid the stereotypical BigSky/Timeline setup for the board I'm building, and opted to go the Empress route. Got the Reverb recently and I absolutely love it, tons of great, immersive tones and very inspiring. The Echosystem is at least as good.

I've always considered myself a "delay skeptic" who never really got why so many players are obsessed with and reliant upon this effect. Never really liked the DL4 that used to be so ubiquitous to P&W pedalboards. Had a TC Nova delay, only ever used the one setting. Never wanted to sound like The Edge or get a stereotypical delay sound. I never thought delay was really that important, but this pedal intrigued me and I was willing to have my mind changed.

The Echosystem is downright inspiring, so many cool tones and possibilities for this pedal, whether adding subtle texture to straight-ahead rock tones, or big atmospheric sounds. And it pairs beautifully with the Empress Reverb for an incredible number of great sounds. What a fantastic pedal. Can't recommend this thing (and the Reverb) enough. Definitely worth the wait for me. I'm looking forward to continuing to explore everything this pedal has to offer.

rayza

Ordered with rogue on 30th may, still waiting. Have emailed 4 times during that period and every time told 'next week'. Not happy

Ordered with rogue on 30th may, still waiting. Have emailed 4 times during that period and every time told 'next week'. Not happy
Same story here with Andertons in the UK, except the order was on May 1st. I think there is a hold up at Empress' end. Same thing happened (though not for as long) pre-ordering the Digitech FreqOut. It's the weekly updates that it will arrive next week which are annoying!

xcc

What's the verdict on on this thing? I'm a happy Timeline owner, but pretty tempted. I've read a lot of this thread but not all. A few questions:

1) Are there any outstanding bugs or quirks to be aware of?
2) How intuitive is the preset system when using live?
3) What are your favorite algorithms?
4) Will it make be more interesting and/or better looking?

Trending Topics