Empress Para Eq?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by JasonD, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JasonD

JasonD Member

Looking to further shape the tone of my Orange Rockerverb 50. It's great but would love to have a little more control of the EQ. Mostly for the gain channel. Would you guys recommend the Para EQ? Something else?

2. iaresee

iaresee Member

I would.

It's wonderfully powerful. The parametric approach is one I favour to the fixed band and Q approach. You can really tailor the EQ curve with the ParaEQ. And it's dead quiet. The noise floor on it is super low.

haslar likes this.
  3. bpayne82

bpayne82 Member

+1 on the ParaEq.

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

4. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Heard great things, it is pricey, so consider the Fromel as well. Maybe not as versatile, but might fit your needs.

5. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

This...

6. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

:agree

Also, I heard on another thread a couple days ago that retailers are blowing out the v.1 ParaEQs for very cheap. I think I read $115. I paid just under $200 used for my v.1 ParaEQ once upon a time.

7. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston Member

I have limited EQ experience (in terms of buying), but I highly recommend looking into Source Audio's Programmable EQ. You can save 4 pre-sets (accessible via the foot switch), it's digital and super quiet (zero noise from my setup), and you can adjust the gain on the pre-sets... so that one pre-set is 'x' loud and the next is 'y' loud, etc. Thus, it acts as a booster if you want it to. It has a great range, and so it can even be used with a bass guitar.

8. iaresee

iaresee Member

Wow. That's an awesome price for a ParaEQ.

9. JasonD

JasonD Member

Which Dealers?

10. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

11. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

I stupidly sold mine. I think the Empress EQ and Empress Comp are two of the best pedals going.

12. chance0

chance0 Member

As I have said elsewhere, I didn't like the Empress. If you boost treble and move the midrange freq. slider, the top end changed. It seemed to warp the entire sound too much that way, changing the fundamental tone structure of my amps. I found that boosting gain stages with the treble beyond 12 dB produced a goodly amount of noise, too. Depending on what you're doing, the Barber BarbEQ was much quieter pre-gain or in the loop, but you won't get any mid boost with that pedal and precision filtering is impossible. There are three modes, however. The Danelectro Fish n Chips is a sleeper pedal that is quiet in the loop but noisy before gain and offers better control. It gets recommendations from quite a few folks on this board, oddly. The Electro-Harmonix Tube Q is noisy, but can add some wild top end and deep bass. The midrange knob is extreme. The EH Knockout can do the similar to the highs and lows as the Tube Q, but even more so and with wildly shimmering and deep results, depending on how you set it. But the Knockout is only for folks who want extreme shaping.

19BCG87 likes this.
  13. Delayed Delay

Delayed Delay Member

^ couldn't DISagree more... you definitely should've sent that unit into Empress. Sounds like some wires got crossed or something. Either that, or you had the midrange tuner knob turned around 3-5 o'clock which would definitely impact the uppermids to high end frequency.

The ParaEQ is easily the most useful pedal I've ever owned. I got it (I have a v2 w/ footswitchable boost) primarily for being able to dial in a clean boost to my exact liking. Not only does it do that exceptionally well, it also has phenomenal headroom, so it can handle a lot of gain, and really likes being placed after all your other drives and dirts. And if that weren't enough (of course it's not, this is TGP after all...;)), it's the PERFECT pedal for doing exactly what the OP is describing - I was amazingly surprised at how well the ParaEQ was at shaping my amp's sound in a completely natural way - no graphic EQ pedal can do this in my experience. You can make each change either very subtle or more noticeable with the flick of the switches at the top of the pedal. Another thing this pedal is really good at is EQing your amp for whatever size/style of room you're in - never to be taken for granted, especially when recording.

Empress ParaEQ - 10/10 :aok

14. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Member

me, too! :bonk

15. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

:agree

Very well written. The ParaEQ has worked beautifully with my rig. I don't need it all the time, but when I do, it serves my needs exceptionally well.

16. jtaylor996

jtaylor996 Member

I like mine! Dead quiet when running it up at 18v. Boost is scary transparent, too.

It keeps making my sound guy drool and say things like "I wish I had control over that thing from back in the booth".

17. jazzguitar

jazzguitar Supporting Member

Well said, I agree as well. A 12db boost is pretty drastic, it's no surprise that it's going to cause problems in the other frequency ranges. If you have to boost or cut anything that much there are bigger problems at hand!

18. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

Resurrecting this thread. I am really thinking about getting this pedal to use as a discreet boost. You guys still liking it, is it quiet when using moderate boost? Can you EQ and not boost? It looks you can. Where's the best place to buy?

Thanks guys...

19. Clean Channel

Clean Channel Member

Still use mine all the time! Definitely a fixture on my board. It's just so handy in a variety of scenarios. I don't often need it, but when I do, it feels like a life safer!

Yep, it's very quiet as a boost, and yep, you can EQ without boosting.

One popped up in the emporium just yesterday, but I just looked it up, and appears to have sold.

20. zul

zul Supporting Member

I don't often eq, but when I do, I prefer Dos Empress.