Empress ParaEQ usage?

rhoydotp

First off, I have tried the search engine and it came up with 2 threads (both from over a year ago): one without any reply, the other has been derailed by other people's favorite EQ pedal/rack ...

I bought one on a whim just to play around with and really no ideas on how I'm going to use it yet ... let's just say typical gas-related purchase ;)

question to owners: where in the chain did you put yours and for what purpose mainly?

I just got one in the mail yesterday (thanks user coldinWI) , and so far am digging it. It has a ton of boost on tap, so you can use it for that purpose alone, but the frequency and gain options are pretty great, so you can enhance your tone (which so far is all I am doing, and keep it on all the time for a low and mid boost), or alter it for some filter-type sounds now and again (another application I have considered, since I found some neat settings whilst twiddling knobs).

rhoydotp

interesting that a lot of suggestions for this pedal on different threads here but no takers here :dunno

DraggAmps

EQ's usually sound best to be after dirt pedals but before your other modulation/time based/etc. pedals. You can use it to recover or boost tighter bass that won't get muddy. Bass before clipping usually results in mud, so you have to keep bass low, but an EQ afterwards can regain your low end in a firmer, clearer way. Most pedals with only a single tone knob for EQ force you to compensate in some way. You usually have to give up some low end for for the sake of clarity and some high end, even if you don't like bright tones. An EQ can help you regain whatever you had to give up. A complex EQ like the Para can change the response range, which can help you re-voice pedals to a certain extent. If you have a pedal with a weird voicing, you might be able to help it sound right. The extra controls on the Para can also help you pinpoint a very particular frequency range, so if you're getting feedback, you can sometimes find the frequency range that you're getting feedback in and cut that frequency without sacrificing too much of the rest of your EQ range. Hmmm... what else... you can completely transform an amp with no EQ or only a single tone knob. You can also get more extreme EQ settings from the Para than you ever could with most tonestacks on amps. You might also find that you like the EQ sound you get from the Para better than using your amps tonestack, so you can do all of your EQ duties with the Para by setting your amps EQ flat. Since it has a boost, you can set it for a volume boost and set the EQ for a lead sound, so you can turn the Para on only for solos and get a louder tone that is better suited for leads than your rhythm sound. You can set it up so that when you switch from humbuckers to single coils, you get a slight volume boost to compensate for the lower output, and also change the EQ so that your single coil guitar works with all your pedal settings that you prefer with humbuckers, that way you don't have to boost the volume on your amp and tweak pedals when switching from humbuckers to singles. I dunno, should I go on?

rhoydotp

EQ's usually sound best to be after dirt pedals but before your other modulation/time based/etc. pedals. You can use it to recover or boost tighter bass that won't get muddy. Bass before clipping usually results in mud, so you have to keep bass low, but an EQ afterwards can regain your low end in a firmer, clearer way. Most pedals with only a single tone knob for EQ force you to compensate in some way. You usually have to give up some low end for for the sake of clarity and some high end, even if you don't like bright tones. An EQ can help you regain whatever you had to give up. A complex EQ like the Para can change the response range, which can help you re-voice pedals to a certain extent. If you have a pedal with a weird voicing, you might be able to help it sound right. The extra controls on the Para can also help you pinpoint a very particular frequency range, so if you're getting feedback, you can sometimes find the frequency range that you're getting feedback in and cut that frequency without sacrificing too much of the rest of your EQ range. Hmmm... what else... you can completely transform an amp with no EQ or only a single tone knob. You can also get more extreme EQ settings from the Para than you ever could with most tonestacks on amps. You might also find that you like the EQ sound you get from the Para better than using your amps tonestack, so you can do all of your EQ duties with the Para by setting your amps EQ flat. Since it has a boost, you can set it for a volume boost and set the EQ for a lead sound, so you can turn the Para on only for solos and get a louder tone that is better suited for leads than your rhythm sound. You can set it up so that when you switch from humbuckers to single coils, you get a slight volume boost to compensate for the lower output, and also change the EQ so that your single coil guitar works with all your pedal settings that you prefer with humbuckers, that way you don't have to boost the volume on your amp and tweak pedals when switching from humbuckers to singles. I dunno, should I go on?

Thanks for the rundown of what an EQ (especially the Para EQ) can do ... so back to the original question:

where in the chain did you put yours and for what purpose mainly?

I'm sure you can only put it in one place and have one primary purpose at any given time while playing live

DraggAmps

Thanks for the rundown of what an EQ (especially the Para EQ) can do ... so back to the original question:

I'm sure you can only put it in one place and have one primary purpose at any given time while playing live

No problem. After dirt pedals (the first half of the chain), but before modulation and time pased effects.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane

Huh? Did you read DraggAmps response? You may not have intended this but your response to his detailed effort to help you comes across as rude and indifferent. Maybe you didn't mean it that way.

Last edited:

rhoydotp

Huh? Did you read DraggAmps response? You may not have intended this but your response to his detailed effort to help you comes across as rude and indifferent. Maybe you didn't mean that way.

yes, i did read his detailed response and it's not my intention to dismiss it at all ... i am just seriously trying to get ideas on how people use their EQ not how EQ works, hence my response. maybe i should have put a smiley to lighten the tone :)

and thanks for the responses! :aok

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
yes, i did read his detailed response and it's not my intention to dismiss it at all ... i am just seriously trying to get ideas on how people use their EQ not how EQ works, hence my response. maybe i should have put a smiley to lighten the tone :)

and thanks for the responses! :aok

Sorry it's been a long day, I'm clearly not grasping something here. I could swear this does address your question. No biggie, time to sleep my way out of the twilight zone. :eek:

where in the chain did you put yours = "EQ's usually sound best to be after dirt pedals but before your other modulation/time based/etc. pedals."

and for what purpose mainly? = "You can use it to recover or boost tighter bass that won't get muddy. Bass before clipping usually results in mud, so you have to keep bass low, but an EQ afterwards can regain your low end in a firmer, clearer way. Most pedals with only a single tone knob for EQ force you to compensate in some way. You usually have to give up some low end for for the sake of clarity and some high end, even if you don't like bright tones. An EQ can help you regain whatever you had to give up. A complex EQ like the Para can change the response range, which can help you re-voice pedals to a certain extent. If you have a pedal with a weird voicing, you might be able to help it sound right. The extra controls on the Para can also help you pinpoint a very particular frequency range, so if you're getting feedback, you can sometimes find the frequency range that you're getting feedback in and cut that frequency without sacrificing too much of the rest of your EQ range. Hmmm... what else... you can completely transform an amp with no EQ or only a single tone knob. You can also get more extreme EQ settings from the Para than you ever could with most tonestacks on amps. You might also find that you like the EQ sound you get from the Para better than using your amps tonestack, so you can do all of your EQ duties with the Para by setting your amps EQ flat. Since it has a boost, you can set it for a volume boost and set the EQ for a lead sound, so you can turn the Para on only for solos and get a louder tone that is better suited for leads than your rhythm sound. You can set it up so that when you switch from humbuckers to single coils, you get a slight volume boost to compensate for the lower output, and also change the EQ so that your single coil guitar works with all your pedal settings that you prefer with humbuckers, that way you don't have to boost the volume on your amp and tweak pedals when switching from humbuckers to singles. I dunno, should I go on?"

rhoydotp

Sorry it's been a long day, I'm clearly not grasping something here. I could swear this does address your question. No biggie, time to sleep my way out of the twilight zone. :eek:

sorry if I am confusing you, maybe it's my english :)

let me try to put it in a hypothetical scenario ... so this I walked into a bar and saw DraggAmps in front of his board

ME: I can't quite figure out where you have your EQ placed
DA: "No problem. After dirt pedals (the first half of the chain), but before modulation and time pased effects."

ME: Oh I see ... so how are YOU currently using it right now?
DA: <picks one or two from his detailed reply on what ParaEQ can do>

and if I didn't know what else the ParaEQ can do, I can add this bit of conversation

ME: Sounds great! So what else can this ParaEQ do?
DA: <gives me his detailed reply on what ParaEQ can do>

I hope I am starting to make more sense ... please believe me that I am not in any way ignoring what he said, just looking for something specific.

hope you had a good sleep :dude

Clean Channel

Don't know if you've done it yet, but check out the youtube vids. Empress do one showing what the ParaEQ does after a fuzz pedal, and it's quite amazing! I use it after my Musket and I get a huge range of tones!

I currently have the ParaEQ at the end of my chain, but suspect the previous suggestion to put it before modulation makes far more sense (I will have to move mine at some point!).

My experience has been that if the EQ is after the modulation, it can cause the modulation to spike in a displeasing way.

I've found the Empress ParaEQ to be very logical and quick to dial in. It wasn't intuitive (I took a careful read through the entire manual first), but once I learned what it was designed to do, it became very easy to use.

Using it to dial in the EQ before the amp is very effective, and really feel like I have a quick and powerful tool at my disposal. Just last night while playing live my tone wasn't doing it for me, I was able to pop down and sort it out beautifully with a few quick turns.

One thing's for sure, DraggAmps clearly knows way more about it than I do! (To DraggAmps: thanks btw for taking the time to write that informative response).

DraggAmps

@wcmiller: good lookin' out, thanks for having my back even if he didn't intend to be rude.

@Clean Channel: no problem man, that's what this place is for, right? I probably tend to go into too much detail with some of my posts but when I'm trying to find info, I sometimes wish I could find more details. As long as someone gets some use out of my posts...

rhoydotp

thanks guys! looks like it's a 3-way split between

- before fuzz/od
- after fuzz, before mods
- end of chain

i guess it is really that versatile!

and I think I didn't highlight my thanks to DraggAmps enough ... thank you for the time you took to write all that detail. and sorry if I came out sounding rude to you :bow

DraggAmps

thanks guys! looks like it's a 3-way split between

- before fuzz/od
- after fuzz, before mods
- end of chain

i guess it is really that versatile!

and I think I didn't highlight my thanks to DraggAmps enough ... thank you for the time you took to write all that detail. and sorry if I came out sounding rude to you :bow

Hey, no problem man, I didn't really think you sounded rude. No biggie.

There's really no reason to put it at the end of the chain. It's more likely to come after a buffer at the end and I think you'll get better results with your dirt section going straight into the Para without any buffers between. Also, when your chorus or delay or reverb, etc are on, you'd be EQ'ing the overall sound of your dirt mixed with whatever other effects. You want to EQ the dirt only, your base/dry tone, not your entire wet sound after other effects as a cohesive unit. You could put it in front but it could mess with your picking dynamics and volume knob dynamics and you'd just be EQ'ing the tone straight out of your pickups which just isn't what I personally like to do. For one, it's a lot more likely to muddy your tone. You want to EQ after clipping. That's why most OD pedals have at least the bass control after the clipping stage. You'll get the cleanest and most responsive EQ of you EQ after your base/dry tone, again, not AFTER it's wet with actual "effects". But try it for yourself and do what sounds best. You will likely realize very quickly that in the middle responds the best, but that's just theory and my own opinion, so do what you think sounds best.

Datsyuk

Peace, Love and Coltrane
sorry if I am confusing you, maybe it's my english :)

let me try to put it in a hypothetical scenario ... so this I walked into a bar and saw DraggAmps in front of his board

ME: I can't quite figure out where you have your EQ placed
DA: "No problem. After dirt pedals (the first half of the chain), but before modulation and time pased effects."

ME: Oh I see ... so how are YOU currently using it right now?
DA: <picks one or two from his detailed reply on what ParaEQ can do>

and if I didn't know what else the ParaEQ can do, I can add this bit of conversation

ME: Sounds great! So what else can this ParaEQ do?
DA: <gives me his detailed reply on what ParaEQ can do>

I hope I am starting to make more sense ... please believe me that I am not in any way ignoring what he said, just looking for something specific.

hope you had a good sleep :dude

Yah, the sleep helped, it's all good man, I hope you're digin' this killer eq! So, a few days later now, what are your findings and take on the Empress? Are you liking it?
:beer

rhoydotp

Yah, the sleep helped, it's all good man, I hope you're digin' this killer eq! So, a few days later now, what are your findings and take on the Empress? Are you liking it?
:beer

still in transit on the way here, unfortunately. but really looking forward to it!

PanicProne

Okay, to lazy to read entire thread. But here's an answer anyway!
I've had my ParaEQ for quite some time now. I first had it first in chain as a "main eq" since the amp I used at the time sucked. Nowadays it's not on my board. However, I've used it three times in the studio where I think it's priceless. I always record my guitar through dirt boxes and then into the amp. Placing the ParaEq after my distortion/od-pedal helps me eq the sound but most of all get rid of a lot of unnecessary buzz,hiss and fizz. to me, this is where this pedal shines.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom