empress superdelay clips

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by lv, May 31, 2008.

1. lv

lv Supporting Member

Quietest delay I've played. Quieter than the Cornish TES. Voiced to perfection, just the right amount of roll off with the low pass filter engaged, perfect subtle warble on the slow modulation setting. For what I like, and I've been through a lot, this is my favorite. I'd take this over even the TTE.

Probably the closest I've heard (and feels right too) to a tape echo - haven't even touched the other modes as the tape setting with the 3 different modes provides all the color i'd ever need.

sounds great in the loop or in front. i'll do some clips with overdrive today.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6578086
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6563591

Last edited: Aug 10, 2008
  2. magnus02

magnus02 Member

sounds good.... real real good

3. lv

lv Supporting Member

4. Franktone

Franktone Member

Hey Lou, great sounds from that Super delay, and great playing too. The repeats sound awesome.

5. Franktone

Franktone Member

So how does the Superdelay compare to the Timeline?

6. lv

lv Supporting Member

Both are some of the finest units I've used - sound quality right up there with the TES, TTE, EC.

I did quite a bit of comparing trying to figure out which to keep, here are some of the differences:

From a versatility standpoint, the Timeline has potentiometers controlling most parameters vs the Superdelay's 3 position switches for repeat filter and modulation, and the Timeline does give more control over the repeats via filter, smear, grit, and has both depth and intensity for the modulation. That said, the Superdelay happens to sound fantastic with it's switches, Steve dialed this thing to absolute perfection, at least for my taste.

From a sound quality standpoint, I prefer the Superdelay for the clean tones, and the Timeline for overdriven leads. The Timeline's grit and filter control allow for some very thick and smooth repeats that melt into high gain creamy lead tones. The Superdelay on clean tones is truly a thing of beauty - any of the tape modes, with the low pass filter and the slow mod setting produces great atmospheric tones.

I prefer the modulation on the Superdelay as it just sounds right to me - in tape mode it doesn't sound like chorus added to the repeats, it sounds like tape warble. The Timeline is nice as well, but clearly sounds like chorus added to the repeats.

Both units have true bypass - I do like what the Timeline's tubes did in my effects loop - just added some thickness and volume to the tone when engaged, whereas the Superdelay is a bit more transparent.

From a feel standpoint, the Timeline's smear function was very cool - while the Superdelay doesn't have that per se, the tape mode definitely has some compression going on and again evokes the feel of a tape unit.

Both units appear to be built very well, and both are quiet other than the Timeline with the grit control turned up.

Both great units, I ended up keeping the Superdelay as it just has something special in the tone and feel of the repeats that sets it apart from most other delays, and I mostly use delay on clean tones. While the Superdelay sounds great on overdriven tones as well, if I spent most of my time playing higher gain leads, I might have kept the Timeline.

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

Thanks for the highly detailed review Lou. As I said, the repeats on the Superdelay on your clips sound simply beautiful.

8. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Lou,

It seems you've been on a delay quest as of late. Have you ever owned the TTE, what are your pros and cons to that unit?

9. lv

lv Supporting Member

Hey Jason, Hope you've been well.

I owned a TTE briefly, the second to last circuit revision. Beautiful sounding unit. While it was too long ago for me to provide any in depth comparisons, I will say that I like the tones in the Superdelay as much as the TTE - I didn't keep the TTE simply due to the cost/size/tape and head maintenance/mechanical tape noise - I have no regrets and would take the Superdelay over the TTE, and the Cornish TES as well. Truly a magical unit.

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Nice!

I was going to pick one up but pulled for the ML2 first.

Still plan on getting one though, but gotta wait for some finances to recover...

11. lv

lv Supporting Member

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on the ML2 compared to the Superdelay.

12. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

Anyone know a good place to order one of these and what's the current wait?

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

I ordered mine directly through the Empress website. Steve answered all questions quickly and thoroughly. Mine in enroute, and I hope to have it this week.

14. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Member

Lou,

Thanks for the helpful info!

15. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

I just placed an order last night. :NUTS

I'm hoping this will replace my DD20 and Analogman modded DMM. I love the DMM, but the noise does get to me when playing alone. I think I'm more of a tape echo guy, but don't want the hastle of maintaining one. The tape mode sounds excellent on this unit. :banana:banana

16. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

If I can ever get the money to justify the purchase I'll definitely pick one up and send my DD20 to my practice board. I just wish for the price there was an external tap tempo input option... a little bummed about that. When you're offering a pedal for that much money I would expect the versatility of what other pedals are offering.

17. lv

lv Supporting Member

Do you mean you'd want an external pedal to control tap tempo instead of the footswitch on the empress?

18. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

yeah, I like having multiple delays on my board and using one tap to control both... or at least have the option available. I know it has the expression input but that is nonlatching only... :(

19. JeffreyC

JeffreyC Member

BTW Lou, thx for doing these clips - they sound great as usual. I just orderd one of these in hopes that it will satisfy my thirst for a tube tape echo of some sort. I haven't purchased a TTE due to the cost, size, and maint. Any chance you could do some slightly overdriven Gilmourish strat tones with it?? :dude

20. mild

mild Member

You might email Steve Bragg @ Empress regarding this. I know that on some pedals, its possible to change the momentary switch to a jack, and then run it to a non-latching pedal for tempo trickery. Michael Guy Chislett of United/The Academy Is does this with his Cusack Tremolo, see the pic. (Its an easy mod, I asked John Cusack himself - literally just pull out the switch, and replace it with a jack - his design is all modular) Could be worth a punt.

[​IMG]

More thanks here too, Lou. Your clips are, as usual, great, and have sold me on this one. Many thanks!