Empress Superdelay vs. Fulltone TTE

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bicktrav, Feb 24, 2012.

1. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

I love the sound of a TTE, but can't swing the price for one. Can the Empress Superdelay do just about everything that the TTE does? Would I be missing out not getting the TTE?

2. tnt365

tnt365 Supporting Member

I don't thing the VMSD will sound a lot like the TTE, I think the Skreddy Echo will sound closer.

3. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

I've owned the Skrecho, El Cap, and just about everything out there that sims a tape echo. I just bought my first TTE and it just can't be touched for warmth and texture.

4. stratplayer80

stratplayer80 Senior Member

Nothing sounds like tape but tape.

5. SUPERMUFF1

SUPERMUFF1 Member

This

6. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

Wow. Depressing. I was hoping the Empress would get me close, but it sounds like the consensus is that nothing will be able to do what the TTE does. Too bad those things are over $1000 each. That's just an insane amount of money to spend on an effect.

7. Holliman

Holliman Triad Abuser

To me, if you are playing regular (weekly) and getting paid for it, then the price is easily justified.

8. bicktrav

bicktrav Member

I play regularly, but I'm not getting paid for it; at least not in any noteworthy way. I play because I love it. I'm mainly a hobbyist, which makes spending upward of a grand on an effect hard to swallow. Don't get me wrong, I've got some really really nice gear. I've got a Klon, a Sunface, Wet Reverb etc. But I've never spent that much money on an effect (I bought the Klon years ago, direct from Bill, so it cost me about $350). I've spent that much on amps and guitars, but an effect? I just don't know that I can bring myself to do it.

9. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Supporting Member

For pure tape emulation, I'd go for a Strymon El Capistan.

10. Painasusual

Painasusual Member

Well of course it cant. It's a digital delay, not a tape echo.

11. JeffOlson

JeffOlson Member

The VMSD sounds good (and so does the El Capistan and the TimeLine). If you really want a TTE, get one. Do not do what most of us have done: settle for less multiple times. Soon you will have spent over $1,000 on different delays when you could have purchased a TTE in the first place!

My attempts at short cuts:
    VMSD $450
    El Capistan $299
    TimeLine $449
    DD-20 $239
    Carbon Copy $149

Add those up and what do you get?

12. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

Or, you could hold out for the SSTE. It should be out around 2009.

13. BrianK

BrianK Supporting Member

I have the TTE and and my El capistan with the Badgerplex EP-Pre gets you pretty close. The warmth of the tube tape echo cant quite be matched but that combo made it easy for me to leave the TTE home. Way more reliable too. Great pedal.

14. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

LOL!!! Yeah I got tired of the waiting game so when I was in the OP's position I started buying up old EP3 Echoplex units. There's absolutely NO need to spend $300-$500 on a tape echo emulator when you can get the best sounding tape machine (better than the TTE in my opinion) for the same money. You'll have to do the exact same maintenance on an EP3 as the TTE anyways and I find that a properly cared-for EP3 can be nearly as reliable.

15. J.T.

J.T. Supporting Member

I would first make sure that what you want is a tape delay. I think a lot of people don't know what that means or what a tape delay sound is.

16. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

:rotflmao

I've had the VMSD before, it was nice but if you're looking for just a nice tape like sounding delay then the el cap is the thing to get with an EP-3 style preamp in front.

17. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

A little OT, but I rarely read anything around here about Fuchs line of delays. Aren’t they a high-quality tube preamp in front of a digital model of a tape delay in a single unit?

18. speedyone

speedyone Supporting Member

Or, you could hold out for the SSTE. It should be out around 9002.

There, fixed it for ya!

But seriously, nothing sounds exactly like tape but tape.

After owning and selling a tape echo (EP3), I tried just about everything to get the same tone, but nothing was spot on.

Recently, I got a Yamaha UD Stomp, and though it doesn't sound exactly like a tape echo, the delays and delays with modulation you can create sound BETTER than a tape echo...to me.

:)

19. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

About three-and-a-half Echoplexe EP3's

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

ive a/B's them and the vmsd was the closest unit Ive played to sounding like the tte. whether close enough for you.....

proguitarshop did an a/b vid on youtube awhile back

i love the skreddy but it doesn't sound like the tte.